Why do we have to sideload something when sideloading is the thing we're trying to get away from in the first place...?!

Host the Snap download on a cheap GoDaddy domain (in fact I will pay for it) and then make it an easy download and install using File Manager. No desktop, Chrome, weird add-on, or fuss required.

Please and thank you!

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 TMO US
    Last edited by STV0726; 03-02-14 at 01:19 PM.
    thisiscjay likes this.
    03-02-14 12:27 PM
    The sideloading of Snap is however one easy sideload with the install script that's available. Also it's a one time thing. Don't really see the issue here. Waaay better than before. Still people complain.
    03-02-14 12:37 PM
    Are you serious ? BlackBerry won't post a store inside their store... just side load Snap ONCE. and you are done.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    nappp, bungaboy and Mecca EL like this.
    03-02-14 12:40 PM
    This is ridiculous. Sideloading snap takes under a minute. Is your fridge too far away from the bedroom also? Do you complain that your favorite restaurant be closer to your house also? It's a great app that WILL NOT be in BlackBerry World and it only takes less than a minute of work on your part.

Posted via CB10
    Rohit_K, bungaboy and Mecca EL like this.
    03-02-14 12:45 PM
    Why I can't find snap on BlackBerry world?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:50 PM
    Why I can't find snap on BlackBerry world?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry will not post another store inside of its store.

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    03-02-14 12:52 PM
    Lol...

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:53 PM
    I totally agree but snap needs to be even easier to download for the masses. not everybody wants to take the time to follow a step by step. And on top of that... snap alone can draw more customers back to bb if it becomes easier to download off a the web.
    03-02-14 12:59 PM
    it's the updates that are a pita. sideloading it to install is the first time is easy. its when you open it later and it wont work because you need an update. would be nice if the updates were apk files. i see what the op is saying. an initial download as sideload is ok, updating and having to sideload kind of defeats the purpose of using apks now ota
    03-02-14 01:02 PM
    - *facepalm*
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-02-14 01:03 PM
    it's the updates that are a pita. sideloading it to install is the first time is easy. its when you open it later and it wont work because you need an update. would be nice if the updates were apk files. i see what the op is saying. an initial download as sideload is ok, updating and having to sideload kind of defeats the purpose of using apks now ota
    No it doesn't defeat the purpose. Instead of side loading each apk you sideload snap once.... updating the app is optional.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-02-14 01:08 PM
    This is the issue, yes.

I get why it can't be in the BlackBerry World. BUT....

It should be available as a download and manual install (the new thing that got added in 10.2.1 where you can install directly from File Manager) right from the developer's website. This way updates are simple and the initial load is easy too.

Why would anyone seriously argue against doing that? It would be easy for the dev to do and make it all easier for everyone to obtain. Are you just defending your epeen because you know how to sideload like a boss? Lol...it isn't hard, just more work than necessary in my opinion. I'm all about efficiency.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141 TMO US
    wincyUt and thisiscjay like this.
    03-02-14 01:08 PM
    I totally agree but snap needs to be even easier to download for the masses. not everybody wants to take the time to follow a step by step. And on top of that... snap alone can draw more customers back to bb if it becomes easier to download off a the web.
    So basically you want bar files to be installed the same way we do apks with 10.2.1?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-02-14 01:10 PM
    Do you use your pc at some point during the day? Do you have your BlackBerry with you? Takes 1 minute. It's the price of using snap. If the price is too high, then don't use snap. I LOVE that it's a native app. Starbucks will not lower their prices and drive to you because you feel it's inconvenient.

I might need to stop reading this thread. I could be a tad worked up.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and Nharzhool like this.
    03-02-14 01:10 PM
    This is the issue, yes.

I get why it can't be in the BlackBerry World. BUT....

It should be available as a download and manual install (the new thing that got added in 10.2.1 where you can install directly from File Manager) right from the developer's website. This way updates are simple and the initial load is easy too.

Why would anyone seriously argue against doing that? It would be easy for the dev to do and make it all easier for everyone to obtain. Are you just defending your epeen because you know how to sideload like a boss? Lol...it isn't hard, just more work than necessary in my opinion. I'm all about efficiency.

Nothing to do with epeen.... BlackBerry have a security side to consider....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-02-14 01:11 PM
    OK seriously, you people are acting ridiculous.

Instead of sideloading anything, how about this:

1. Go to Snap website
    2. Download the file
    3. Install it using File Manager

Done. No downloading Chrome if you don't use it already. No downloading any add-ons. No need to be at your computer. No fuss.

I'd pay the hosting fee for the developer if he'd agree to host a download as I said above.

I don't know what's so difficult about this. But I do know that when most people hear "sideload" and the first two steps in the process, they turn off to the idea. But simply downloading and installing one app to give you access to Android apps? Now that just about everyone can do.

wincyUt and Toodeurep like this.
    03-02-14 01:15 PM

1. Go to Snap website
    2. Download the file

Done. No downloading Chrome if you don't use it already. No downloading any add-ons. No need to be at your computer. No fuss.

I'd pay the hosting fee for the developer if he'd agree to host a download as I said above.

I don't know what's so difficult about this. But I do know that when most people hear "sideload" and the first two steps in the process, they turn off to the idea. But simply downloading and installing one app to give you access to Android apps? Now that just about everyone can do.

Won't be done, its side loaded because it's a Native app not a port ie it's a bar file and not .apk

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:28 PM
    The whole purpose of Snap was to have a native android market. NATIVE as in NOT A PORT like the amazon app store, 1mobile, etc.

The OS doesn't allow for .bar (native) installations like it does for .apk (android). If the dev were to make Snap an apk, he'd have to rewrite the whole thing and It'd defeat the whole freaking purpose it was built for, originally.

If you want to install an android market from your file manager, download Apptoide or something like that, but not Snap.

/THREAD

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 03-02-14 at 02:09 PM.
    nappp likes this.
    03-02-14 01:43 PM
    Native apps should be encouraged and not discouraged. Even if once in awhile they have to be sideloaded.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:45 PM

1. Go to Snap website
    2. Download the file

It's not difficult, it's just silly. You want to take a native app and convert it to an Android one. No one is forcing you to sideload Snap, use something else like mentioned. There's no shortage of options. Amazon App Store, SlideMe, Aptoide, heck even the Nokia app store works now lol. You're getting all huffy puffy because no one likes your idea.
    03-02-14 02:10 PM
    I seriously don't get why you can install .apk but no .bar... if someone can explain please do
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-02-14 02:16 PM
    I seriously don't get why you can install .apk but no .bar... if someone can explain please do
    Simple, because BlackBerry hasn't chosen to support it. No other reason but their own decision.

But we'll probably be able on the next major update.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    southlander likes this.
    03-02-14 02:19 PM
    Why do you stand when you pee and sit/squat when you poo?
    You can also sit when you pee, but that's not convenient. Same thing for Snap. You just can't load bar files like apk, because they were made to be distributed from BBworld. Sharing a bar file was created just for beta testing
    03-02-14 03:06 PM
    Why do you stand when you pee and sit/squat when you poo?
    You can also sit when you pee, but that's not convenient. Same thing for Snap. You just can't load bar files like apk, because they were made to be distributed from BBworld. Sharing a bar file was created just for beta testing
    Well that's the reason it's not enabled for end-users so to speak, but the capability is there in the OS to actually load install .BAR files. I'd tell SVT to use SideSwype but you know............. you have to sideload that to begin with lol.
    03-02-14 03:52 PM
    Are you six years old?
    03-02-14 04:16 PM
66 123