The other day I was wondering about my Slacker app and noticed it haven't been updated in quit some time now. When I first got a blackberry in 08', Slacker and Pandora would always get community updates and keep us updated on the latest and greatest. Now there is no to little support from both. Pandora hasn't build an App for BB10, and Slacker following to the wayside as well. So I thought I would email Slacker to see what's going on, and got the following;

Charles B (Slacker)
    Jun 30 10:57

The Blackberry as a business has basically declared to be declining and we have not updated the app as it seems the phone maker is on the brink of going under. If the market share for the device picks back up then the app would likely be a higher priority.

This is about as honest as we can be about the app and its current standing.

Sad to see, and I shouldn't be surprised but still sad to hear all the same.

Posted from my Z30
    06-30-14 01:24 PM
    You could always use the Android app!
    06-30-14 01:37 PM
    You could always use the Android app!
    Yea I use the Android Pandora app. But would prefer native

Posted from my Z30
    06-30-14 03:17 PM
    The other day I was wondering about my Slacker app and noticed it haven't been updated in quit some time now. When I first got a blackberry in 08', Slacker and Pandora would always get community updates and keep us updated on the latest and greatest. Now there is no to little support from both. Pandora hasn't build an App for BB10, and Slacker following to the wayside as well. So I thought I would email Slacker to see what's going on, and got the following;

Charles B (Slacker)
    Jun 30 10:57

The Blackberry as a business has basically declared to be declining and we have not updated the app as it seems the phone maker is on the brink of going under. If the market share for the device picks back up then the app would likely be a higher priority.

This is about as honest as we can be about the app and its current standing.

Sad to see, and I shouldn't be surprised but still sad to hear all the same.

Posted from my Z30
    Sad that this opinion still prevails even with the recent changes and good news coming from BlackBerry. Guess when you control the media, people will think whatever you want them to think. Apple is dying out too, but you don't see that hitting the headlines daily.
    06-30-14 03:28 PM
    IMO Slacker is not as good as Pandora. And if you want Pandora, go with Apollo. It's native and a pretty good UI. And if you're not into knock off apps, Android version of Pandora runs pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 03:39 PM
    You know what? I'll give them credit for honesty.

BB10 is still a VERY minor platform in the grand scheme of things. Realistically, BB10 native is a niche platform. Symbian likely provides a bigger audience.

That will change. But it will take time.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-30-14 03:41 PM
    This cannot be true because "THERE STILL WILL BE NATIVE APPS" and "NONE OF THAT IS CHANGING"
    06-30-14 05:23 PM
    You know what? I'll give them credit for honesty.

BB10 is still a VERY minor platform in the grand scheme of things. Realistically, BB10 native is a niche platform. Symbian likely provides a bigger audience.

That will change. But it will take time.
    Yes absolutely. It's fair comment from them, and precisely the issue that is faced. Like it or not, that's why the Amazon deal has been done. If sales increase (and honestly, I'm quite hopeful here - not for an explosion or anything, but for growth) then it might be revisited. Perfectly reasonable approach.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 05:29 PM
    This is why the Amazon deal, even with its potential downsides, is a necessity.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    06-30-14 06:02 PM
    Yes absolutely. It's fair comment from them, and precisely the issue that is faced. Like it or not, that's why the Amazon deal has been done. If sales increase (and honestly, I'm quite hopeful here - not for an explosion or anything, but for growth) then it might be revisited. Perfectly reasonable approach.

Posted via CB10
    The magic number I have in my head is 50 million.

That's the number of BB10 devices that (I personally believe) will need to be out there in use before developers start taking the platform seriously. It would be nice to think that we might actually see this happen in 3-5 years.

I suspect that Developer Relations actually put up a fair amount of money for apps like Slacker. I continue to use it, and console myself that they haven't done a damn thing with their Windows 8 app, either.
    06-30-14 06:07 PM
    IMO Slacker is not as good as Pandora. And if you want Pandora, go with Apollo. It's native and a pretty good UI. And if you're not into knock off apps, Android version of Pandora runs pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    Eww apollo app UI is ugly and cheap looking, but it DOES work... but any who I use ihertradio and tunein so I'm good

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    07-01-14 04:51 PM
    I continue to use it but my biggest gripe is that it doesn't use the audio controls API so I can't actually play/pause using the hardware buttons.

If they would just update it for that alone I'd be happy.
    07-02-14 12:11 AM
    I want a native Google Play Music app!
    07-03-14 12:45 PM
    I want a native Google Play Music app!
    Check out Go Music in app world.
    07-03-14 12:49 PM
    Check out Go Music in app world.
    Yea but can it tap in to my paid account? (I'm a 7.99 a month subscriber)
    07-03-14 01:06 PM
    Yup!
    07-03-14 07:21 PM