So I caved... I was hoping to wait for Box compatibility, however.

My crashed completely and had to get a replacement, in a hurry. Long story...

Just got my new phone and all set up now. Downloaded Fire Chest (due to all of the fabulous feedback here!) and opened the Dropbox account.

My question(s) are this...

Do I need to have a Dropbox app on my phone? Do I need to have this on a computer?

If I need to restore to a new phone , do I simply download Fire Chest and 'restore' similar to adding an email account?

Is this backup device data AND memory card data?

How about password locked files?

Does the backup typically take quite a long time? So far, 30+ minutes on the calendar alone.

I apologize for the silly questions, I simply cannot go through that mess again.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:21 PM
    Sorry, I'm gonna be this guy. Why don't you search the forums first before opening a new thread? There is already a thread talking about this app. The developer responds to questions and suggestions there too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...backup-854954/
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    12-06-13 07:14 AM

Just got my new phone and all set up now. Downloaded Fire Chest (due to all of the fabulous feedback here!) and opened the Dropbox account.

My question(s) are this...

Do I need to have a Dropbox app on my phone? Do I need to have this on a computer?

If I need to restore to a new phone , do I simply download Fire Chest and 'restore' similar to adding an email account?

Is this backup device data AND memory card data?

How about password locked files?

Does the backup typically take quite a long time? So far, 30+ minutes on the calendar alone.

I apologize for the silly questions, I simply cannot go through that mess again.

Posted via CB10
    You don't need the Dropbox app on your phone or computer. Our app is certified by Dropbox to use the Dropbox API. This means the app simply redirects you to Dropbox within our app to perform the login process. Also FCB only has access to the FCB directory in your Dropbox (where it stores backups from your phone).

As long as you did a backup with FCB on your previous phone that should be fine. Just install FCB on your new phone, log-in to the same Dropbox account and the app will discover what backups are available.

The backup is only of the standard folders in the phone memory, not the SD card. "Backup up from SD card" support is coming (free) shortly.

Not sure what you mean about password locked files. What app has locked them? FCB copies everything from the selected directory (Camera, Downloads, Documents).

Backup & restore times depend upon what you are backing up - yes it can take an hour or more if you have thousands of contacts or hundreds of megabytes to backup. How many entries are in your calendar? Can you post a screen shot of the progress bar screen? Is the progress bar still moving? Remember it is a phone CPU and not a desktop CPU doing all the work, so you should factor that into your expectations.

Hope it all works out for you!
    CMcRob likes this.
    12-06-13 09:07 PM
    Thanks FireChestDotCom... I appreciate your feedback. I think I understand a little more.

I was confused about the Dropbox thing, (which we have discussed before) but it's all good now.

And the app description seemed a little at odds with what we were discussing in the other thread, but I think once I separated the questions in my mind it made more sense.

So thanks for being kind in your response. It is much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 09:46 PM