I'm starting this thread to ask our humble community of BB10 developers if they plan to make the .bar files for their apps publicly available after BlackBerry pulls the plug on BBW.

Posted via CB10
    mindedge and tollfeeder like this.
    01-11-18 09:05 AM
    I'd gladly pay developers directly in exchange.
    01-11-18 09:12 AM
    How many BB10 Developers are still around? And will be two years from now.

An archive for BAR files isn't hard... it's the paid version that will be an issue. And maybe those that are AD supported.... not sure what they'll do if they can't reach BlackBerry's Servers.

Think you need to wait and see what happens in two years.... might be a good idea to contact any still active developers.
    01-11-18 09:25 AM
    Why? To what end? At some point, we all die. Shouldn't we allow BB10 some dignity?
    01-11-18 11:09 AM
    99% of the apps in BlackBerry World have been abandoned anyway.
    01-11-18 11:29 AM
    How many BB10 Developers are still around? And will be two years from now.

An archive for BAR files isn't hard... it's the paid version that will be an issue. And maybe those that are AD supported.... not sure what they'll do if they can't reach BlackBerry's Servers.

Think you need to wait and see what happens in two years.... might be a good idea to contact any still active developers.
    Not to mention how many BB10 devices will still be functioning.
    01-11-18 11:54 AM
    Not to mention how many BB10 devices will still be functioning.
    Yeah in two years.... might not be any. Really don't know what is being shutdown and how it will affect devices. Without BBID and Activation Servers... how often do the phones "check in" and what happens if they don't get an answer?
    01-11-18 12:05 PM
    Yeah in two years.... might not be any. Really don't know what is being shutdown and how it will affect devices. Without BBID and Activation Servers... how often do the phones "check in" and what happens if they don't get an answer?
    That also presumes BB keeps all of the development-related services up until 2020, too.

I wonder just how much of the OS is server-side, like proximity sensors.
    01-11-18 10:56 PM
    The devs have the option of changing the prices to free. Most of mine will just go free unless they have a server fee (I. E. Secure AV). And although we are quiet, there is actually a pretty strong base of us still semi-active (and yup! we still chat on BBM).

On the BAR share side I do have a dozen or so semi complete projects or things refused by the bb AppWorld team I could share though

That said though I'm sure that shutting down BlackBerry AppWorld completely is looking pretty attractive to BlackBerry right now.
    Last edited by KermEd; 02-28-18 at 02:48 PM.
    02-28-18 01:48 PM
    02-28-18 01:50 PM
    Such as?
    Man I'm not even sure. I counted once and saw I had made about 246 mobile apps and games across all platforms.

Probably my favorite one that didn't get through was a game called Tech Capitalist. The AppWorld team found a display bug on a page and I never bothered fixing it and resubmitting it.

Lemme dig it up
    02-28-18 01:51 PM
    Such as?
    Here you go!

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ilable-1138040
    02-28-18 02:40 PM
    Why? To what end? At some point, we all die. Shouldn't we allow BB10 some dignity?
    Some people like to tinker, fix and play. Isn't that what they say about android users compared to most apple users? I've hear many people say iSheep stick to iPhone cause it's easy to do things when your told how to do it and there's only one way to do it.

I think it would be great to have a new store or cloud based bank that we could all pull from. Not sure if it would work but it'd be cool
    02-28-18 03:02 PM
    Some people like to tinker, fix and play. Isn't that what they say about android users compared to most apple users? I've hear many people say iSheep stick to iPhone cause it's easy to do things when your told how to do it and there's only one way to do it.

I think it would be great to have a new store or cloud based bank that we could all pull from. Not sure if it would work but it'd be cool
    The problem is that without someone policing the app store, it would become a Trojan virus repository for nefarious Snidely types. Best would be for anyone that develops BB10 apps to list on their own developer website.
    02-28-18 03:16 PM
    The problem is that without someone policing the app store, it would become a Trojan virus repository for nefarious Snidely types. Best would be for anyone that develops BB10 apps to list on their own developer website.
    Plenty of us in here have gone through this with the demise of Palm/Hp WebOS. It's deja vu all over again. No big deal. Hobbyists love this sort of thing and I plan on being right there for s & g.
    02-28-18 03:19 PM
    As soon as I get back to my Passport, I'll check it out.
    02-28-18 04:37 PM
    I maintain what I said months ago: I am willing to pay for quality BlackBerry 10 apps, and am happy to pay developers directly for their work. I hope to see more developers make their .bar files available to anyone who wants to pay for them when BlackBerry World is gone.
    02-28-18 04:39 PM
    Same here. Plus, I am paying monthly donation for f-droid already, no problem to do the same for AppOffWorld
    03-02-18 11:11 AM
    We did create one back in the day called App Centre working with yohanes with localbar - it started as a PlayBook initiative before launching LocalBar2. Unfortunately, it was a Flash project and if I remember correctly died when BlackBerry closed the loop for installing BAR files

Actually I think I have the BAR files and screenshots still

Releasing Bar files after BBWorld goes down?-screen.png

... looks like I do

Hey found the old article too bwaha. Amazing what is kicking around hard drives...
    03-02-18 07:42 PM
    Is it possible to host a BB10 app store?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-18 08:37 PM
    99% of the apps in BlackBerry World have been abandoned anyway.
    You mean S4BB have moved on?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-18 10:19 PM
    Is it possible to host a BB10 app store?

Posted via CB10
    There is a very exciting work in progress here:

https://bb.sz7.me

Releasing Bar files after BBWorld goes down?-2020-12-01-224738_598x545_scrot.png
    12-01-20 03:49 PM
    Isn't this from Oliver and Nemory Studios or is this someone else?
    12-01-20 03:56 PM
    Isn't this from Oliver and Nemory Studios or is this someone else?
    Someone else (somewhere here there is a dedicated thread = so old news) but the maker has been too busy doing other stuff to fill the store up.
    12-01-20 08:16 PM
    Someone else (somewhere here there is a dedicated thread = so old news) but the maker has been too busy doing other stuff to fill the store up.
    At least he has added some stuff, and the site is still up.

But yeah if he's too busy now.... how long will it last? My guess is BBW will outlast his well intention attempt.
    12-02-20 08:00 AM
34 12