Updated on 2013/10/19
    So much time has gone and I decided to rework this post. The app has been completely rewritten using Cascades. It's now native! You can see a short video here: ReadItNow updated to v6.0 and goes native | CrackBerry.com

App Description:

ReadItNow is a client for Pocket, formerly known as ReadItLater. The app is available for the PlayBook and for BB10. I've spend a lot of work into making a native version BlackBerry 10.

A lot of users complained about the user interface and the bad performance ("sluggish"). So I decided to make a complete new app, as mentioned above.

I've also added keyboard support for devices with a physical keyboard, enabling them to do most of the stuff with the keys. Because I own a Q5 on my own, I know that it really can speed things up, not having to use the touch screen for some kind of actions.

As always I appreciate any kind of feedback. If you dislike something? Please write me. If you have some trouble? Please write me. Any suggestions or feature requests? You know what to do, please write me. :-)

Best,
    Sven

You can get it here:

Attached Thumbnails ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000072.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000073.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000074.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000075.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000076.png  

ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-img_00000077.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-1.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-2.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-3.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-4.png  

ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-5.png   ReadItNow!: a native Pocket / ReadItLater client-6.png  
    Last edited by svzi#CB; 10-19-13 at 12:16 PM. Reason: App has been completely rewritten!
    04-24-12 03:45 PM
    Add instapaper support and I'm in.
    04-24-12 09:21 PM
    Given App World less-than-stellar search function, a direct link would be greatly appreciated. I tried porting the Android Pocket App with little success.

I'll be happy to try this out.
    You don't mention if this is a free app, if this is not the case, I would suggest a trial period.
    04-24-12 10:14 PM
    I primarily uses Instapaper due to the simpler interface and I am already very used to it. Would be glad if anyone can make an app for it especially for reading and adding stuff.

It's a pain for me right now to open the Instapaper website to add articles because I have no way to save the bookmarklet due to Playbook's bookmarking management.
    04-24-12 10:40 PM
    Good to see more webOS dev's supporting the PB!
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    04-24-12 11:19 PM
    Add instapaper support and I'm in.
    Unfortunately Instapaper forbids integration with similar services, like Pocket.

Given App World less-than-stellar search function, a direct link would be greatly appreciated. I tried porting the Android Pocket App with little success.

I'll be happy to try this out.
    You don't mention if this is a free app, if this is not the case, I would suggest a trial period.
    My fault, you are completely right. Thanks for pointing that out. I just added the app world link to the first post. And no, this app is not free.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 01:19 AM
    Good to see more webOS dev's supporting the PB!
    The PlayBook looks to be a great device, so I give it a real chance.

I had just ported my second app to the PlayBook, it's an Springpad client and I will add another thread regarding that app later today.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 01:22 AM
    Does it support portrait mode? Or is it landscape only?
    04-25-12 02:37 AM
    agree
    Agree to what?
    Last edited by svzi; 04-25-12 at 04:25 AM.
    04-25-12 04:21 AM
    Does it support portrait mode? Or is it landscape only?
    Currently it's landscape only, but I will have my own PlayBook by tomorrow, hopefully. So I can test and tweak the portrait mode on a real device. I've gotten reports for the very first version published in the app world that the portrait mode did not work. So I've deactivated it temporarly.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 04:24 AM
    I've just added some screenshots from the app world to the first post. But please keep in mind that they are not in the original resolution, they are scambled (640x375 instead of 1024x600). So the screenshots are only good to give you a glimpse, but I hope you like what you see!

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 04:32 AM
    Hi sven,

I just bought the app, and so far like what I'm seeing. Is the app text only? I'm not seeing any images on the articles that are supposed to have some images. If it's text only, I think it would be nice to have support for caching and displaying images. Since you mentioned that you'll be tweaking and testing the portrait mode support, I won't bug you about it

A couple of things:
    -This falls into the realm of being nitpicky, but I'll mention it anyway. When you switch to full article mode, there's a slight delay while the app the adjust the article. The delay doesn't bother me, but the white strip that appears briefly kind of does. It's probably nothing and most people can live with it, but like I said... I'm just being nitpicky

-On the "about" page, there's a "?" image box (similar to the icon the playbook browser would use over an image that the browser can't display.) I'm assuming that "?" image box is supposed to the be app logo. This doesn't bother me at all, but I thought you should know about it.

Well, I guess now I have a reason to whine about the browser's lack of bookmarklet support
    04-25-12 05:40 AM
    Hi orchardl!

First of all thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate that.

Is the app text only? I'm not seeing any images on the articles that are supposed to have some images. If it's text only, I think it would be nice to have support for caching and displaying images.
    Yeah, the app is text only and to quote myself from the first post and the app description:
    The saved articles come without annoying extras: No commercials, no disruptive pictures
    That's also explained in the Quick-Start Guide. It's an limitation in the Pocket API or to be more precise: a well known bug. But Pocket seems to be not interested in fixing this...

-This falls into the realm of being nitpicky, but I'll mention it anyway. When you switch to full article mode, there's a slight delay while the app the adjust the article. The delay doesn't bother me, but the white strip that appears briefly kind of does. It's probably nothing and most people can live with it, but like I said... I'm just being nitpicky
    Where exactly does the white strip briefly appears? Could not imagine what you exactly mean, sorry english isn't my natural language. Can you try to do another explanation?

-On the "about" page, there's a "?" image box (similar to the icon the playbook browser would use over an image that the browser can't display.) I'm assuming that "?" image box is supposed to the be app logo. This doesn't bother me at all, but I thought you should know about it.
    Thanks for reporting this, will have a look into that.

Well, I guess now I have a reason to whine about the browser's lack of bookmarklet support
    Luckily there is at least one google reader app with support for ReadItLater aka Pocket available on the PlayBook. Will buy it as soon as my PlayBook arrives.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 06:01 AM
    Oops, my bad, I didn't notice the part about it about text-only in the app description. Skimming has always been a bad habit of mine. Well, in any case, I guess it does what it's supposed to do then

About the white strip... actually, it's more of a grey strip. It's a bit hard to explain, so I attached a screenshot. It appears briefly while the article adjusts to full view.

Attachment 108625
    04-25-12 06:17 AM
    About the white strip... actually, it's more of a grey strip. It's a bit hard to explain, so I attached a screenshot. It appears briefly while the article adjusts to full view.Attachment 108625
    Thanks for the screenshot, now I know what you mean.

For how long is that grey area visible when you adjust to full view?

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 06:23 AM
    It's very brief; probably just half a second. Most people would probably ignore it. Like I said, it's just me being nitpicky.
    04-25-12 06:31 AM
    It's very brief; probably just half a second. Most people would probably ignore it. Like I said, it's just me being nitpicky.
    I will have a look as soon as I have my PlayBook in my hands. Hopefully tomorrow. :-)

Did not recognize this on webOS for nearly six months. Thanks for reporting!

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 06:38 AM
    Unfortunately Instapaper forbids integration with similar services, like Pocket.
    Hi Sven, would it be possible rather than integrate the two services just have support for the two separate services?

In the mean time, I can start using readitlater I just find instachrome to work so well in saving to instapaper.
    04-25-12 08:53 AM
    Is there a way to save links open in the playbook browser to Pocket? I know the browser doesn't work with bookmarklets, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of API that would let you add a toolbar button to the playbook browser? (similar to the 'Reader mode' button in the toolbar)
    04-25-12 08:56 AM
    Hi Sven, would it be possible rather than integrate the two services just have support for the two separate services?
    No, that is not possible. And what I meant before was: InstaPaper forbids integration of their API into apps that support similar APIs. So their never will be an authorized app which shows content from InstaPaper and ReadItLater/Pocket for example.

I also had simply no interest in writing a completely new access to InstaPaper. For what reason? InstaPaper subscription is not for free, except you use their official apps. But for any app accessing their API the user have to pay $1 / month.

To be honest, even if I would had the opportunity to provide both services, I would not do it (for example because of the monthly fee and most important: I don't need InstaPaper).

In the mean time, I can start using readitlater I just find instachrome to work so well in saving to instapaper.
    Did you try posthoc? It's an chrome extension for easily safing websites to ReadItLater: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...chkjiklcmklalj

I use it for quite a long time and I love it.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 09:43 AM
    Is there a way to save links open in the playbook browser to Pocket? I know the browser doesn't work with bookmarklets, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of API that would let you add a toolbar button to the playbook browser? (similar to the 'Reader mode' button in the toolbar)
    As far as I know that is not possible. But I'm still a newbie on this PlayBook stuff. What kept me wondering is that there are no other extensions available...

But there are Google Reader clients available which supports sending links to RIL / Pocket.

Another solution is sending the link via mail, so it get's to your RIL account. And I hope that should be possible with the PlayBook browser? More informations here: Pocket | How to Save to Pocket via Email Looks to be very easy!

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-25-12 09:46 AM
    Screw it; the developer is fully engaged with the community, I've been looking for a good Pocket app for Playbook, the ecosystem will only flourish if we support you guys: I'm in.
    Bought it.
    I'll give feedback in the next couple of days.

Okay, just downloaded. First few thoughts:
    1. The app is 12MB, is this normal? Feels awfully large for a text reader.
    2. Keyboard response is very slow, don't know what is being processed.
    3. Password field won't allow me me to paste password.
    4. Sure this is not your fault, maybe a website service limitation but: my password has %, & and # characters and I can't log in.

It's almost 2.00am, so I'll do a password change tomorrow.

Finally, since the Site has changed its name to Pocket, you might want to consider a name change as well so you get more hits if users are searching for a playbook app for that site.
    Last edited by Hobbes2099; 04-28-12 at 01:34 AM.
    04-28-12 01:15 AM
    Hi Hobbes2099!

1. The app is 12MB, is this normal? Feels awfully large for a text reader.
    Yeah, that's because it's entirely written in enyo, a Javascript Framework, formerly developed by Palm / HP for the HP Touchpad. I have to publish the whole framework with the app.

2. Keyboard response is very slow, don't know what is being processed.
    Keyboard response on what? Searching?

3. Password field won't allow me me to paste password.
    I still don't know how to copy and paste things with my PlayBook. Sorry, currently I'm unable to check this.

Finally, since the Site has changed its name to Pocket, you might want to consider a name change as well so you get more hits if users are searching for a playbook app for that site.
    Any suggestion? Hints are welcome.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-28-12 05:25 PM
    I see you've received your playbook (you mentioned it on the other thread.) I hope support for portrait mode is coming along nicely *hint* hint* *nudge* nudge*
    04-28-12 10:27 PM
    Hi orchardl!

I see you've received your playbook (you mentioned it on the other thread.) I hope support for portrait mode is coming along nicely *hint* hint* *nudge* nudge*
    I've just re-added the portrait mode for both of my apps. So stay tuned for the next releases.

Cheers,
    Sven
    04-29-12 06:29 AM
320 123 ...