Dear CB gurus,

Please help me to understand something, push notifications like those found on iOS and android requires a server which could cost up to 50k per year to deploy. Is this correct?

Thus why short running headless capability is a "cheaper" way to deliver notifications because the app is running in the background.

Are there any native apps which show the 2 different methods in notification delivery in action?

Of the top of my head I would guess that BBM and whatsapp uses a dedicated server to push notifications to us where else snap2chat by nemory uses short running headless.

Can anyone clarify? Cheers!

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-12-14 07:21 PM
    Please help me to understand something, push notifications like those found on iOS and android requires a server which could cost up to 50k per year to deploy. Is this correct?
    Not true.

Push service in itself, from BlackBerry - is Free to use

But of course You as a content provider must have ways to communicate with the BlackBerry Push system, and how you do that is entirely up to to you. But usually you don't require more than a server that is connected to the Internet, or a regular web hosting service provider.

Should be quite achievable for $200/year - perhaps even less

Thus why short running headless capability is a "cheaper" way to deliver notifications because the app is running in the background.
    It is two different things. The Push service can push data directly to your device, and give notifications to the app.
    (Ex. A news flash headline pushed to the device, You can see something happened - and When you tap it - it then loads the rest of the content.)

Push can target 1 single device, or a group of users.

A background service needs to run and consume battery/resources - and pull data all the time.

With Push, you can get what is important to you immediately when it happens, instead of Pull which would have to be set up scheduled.
    06-12-14 07:56 PM
    Not true.

Push service in itself, from BlackBerry - is Free to use

But of course You as a content provider must have ways to communicate with the BlackBerry Push system, and how you do that is entirely up to to you. But usually you don't require more than a server that is connected to the Internet, or a regular web hosting service provider.

Should be quite achievable for $200/year - perhaps even less

It is two different things. The Push service can push data directly to your device, and give notifications to the app.
    (Ex. A news flash headline pushed to the device, You can see something happened - and When you tap it - it then loads the rest of the content.)

Push can target 1 single device, or a group of users.

A background service needs to run and consume battery/resources - and pull data all the time.

With Push, you can get what is important to you immediately when it happens, instead of Pull which would have to be set up scheduled.
    Thanks for your reply. According to your description im guessing that facebook, twitter, BBM and whatsapp uses push notifications?

Then why is it that most apps on BB10 dont use push notifications compared to iOS or android?

For example bloomberg's native BB10 app doesn't do push notifications but on iOS it does.

Even CB10 doesnt do push notifications but the iOS one does.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-12-14 08:09 PM
    I think the NFL Mobile and Socker Ticker apps are examples of apps using Push notifications. They are never running and still get occasional content pushed.
    I am not sure about apps like BBM/FB/WA. They are always running headless anyway, so can you still consider them to get push notifications in the iOS sense?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-12-14 08:29 PM
    Not sure if this is correct, but I'll try.

1. Yahoo Instant Messenger and Google Talk will continue to receive instant messages in the Hub (so long as you remain signed in) even when the Active Frames for their respective apps are no longer open. I think these apps are running in the background, headlessly.

2. Trillian has a "suspend" feature. When you use it, the app is no longer running in the background. Trillian's server will send you an email when an instant message arrives. I think this is an example of "push."
    06-12-14 09:06 PM
    The USA Today app is another one that pushes "breaking news" items to the hub. Even when it's closed and it doesn't run headless - and even when you turn the option off.

Although it was updated recently so maybe they finally fixed that. The previous update last September was supposed to fix it, but it didn't.

I actually leave the option on now anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 10:37 PM
    Headless is always in the background like when you "Force Close" Facebook in Device Manager it starts back up right away.

OP is right
    06-12-14 11:05 PM