in future?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. Waiting for the response of fishlevel.

Love Peace and Share
    06-22-18 08:49 AM
    i am waiting eagerly,because this browser is supporting flash

Posted via CB10
    06-23-18 01:41 AM
    Hello,

Just wanted to chime in here and say thank you for this. I managed quite well with the BB10 browser. On a regular basis I have only needed Browsie to read a newspaper site. However, now LinkedIn and a few others have stopped displaying in either I now have your trusty steed on standby on the homescreen next to the other two.

So thanks again for developing this and addressing a very niche need.

I'm holding on to my Passport as long as I can. I tried a Motion but couldn't get on with it. I'll try whatever PKB Android is around when the time comes, but until then I can fly with BB10 and your help here.

Much appreciation from UK red Passport owner.

Posted via CB10
    fishlevel likes this.
    06-23-18 02:46 AM
    Just ordered a pizza Hut delivery c/o this browser, which would have previously been impossible! :-)

Posted via CB10
    fishlevel likes this.
    06-24-18 03:48 PM
    Hi, thank you all for your kind comments. Great to see that the browser also solves some problems for you Small update regarding the big engine upgrade: There are a lot of small issues and obstacles implementing the latest chromium content shell (will take me some time to dive into their code) so I decided to first try out GeckoView. Exchanging the engine works, but the latest GeckoView is super slow / crashes quickly on our devices and has a lower html5test score (492 when I tested), so it's not an option and I'll have to switch back to trying to get chromium running. Anyway, I learned some things and also applied some general performance improvements that I can transfer back once everything works with latest chromium. Will report back once I make mentionable progress.
    lolo9269 likes this.
    06-29-18 02:09 PM
    Thanks for your avancement. We will be patient for the update.

Just a question what is the default size cache because after arount one month of use. I have about 200 mbytes of data use.

Love Peace and Share
    Last edited by lolo9269; 06-29-18 at 02:35 PM.
    fishlevel likes this.
    06-29-18 02:13 PM
    Hi, thank you all for your kind comments. Great to see that the browser also solves some problems for you Small update regarding the big engine upgrade: There are a lot of small issues and obstacles implementing the latest chromium content shell (will take me some time to dive into their code) so I decided to first try out GeckoView. Exchanging the engine works, but the latest GeckoView is super slow / crashes quickly on our devices and has a lower html5test score (492 when I tested), so it's not an option and I'll have to switch back to trying to get chromium running. Anyway, I learned some things and also applied some general performance improvements that I can transfer back once everything works with latest chromium. Will report back once I make mentionable progress.
    Thanks a lot for you commitment, really appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    fishlevel likes this.
    06-30-18 02:55 AM
    Thank you much!

Posted via CB10
    fishlevel likes this.
    06-30-18 03:49 AM
    Thanks for your avancement. We will be patient for the update.

Just a question what is the default size cache because after arount one month of use. I have about 200 mbytes of data use.

Love Peace and Share
    same limit as with chromium I suppose, and we are using it with the default cache mode, so it should not differ from other browsers. also, 200MB for the whole month sounds super reasonable for me. keep in mind that tracking scripts etc and their data submissions which some websites heavily use are not cached
    06-30-18 04:16 AM
    @fishlevel if you want some help for porting chromium to your developpement you can inspire from kiwi browser.
    https://github.com/kiwibrowser/android

Love Peace and Share
    07-04-18 01:28 PM
    @fishlevel if you want some help for porting chromium to your developpement you can inspire from kiwi browser.
    https://github.com/kiwibrowser/android

Love Peace and Share
    Thank you for your involvement, but the source code you linked is pretty much just the chromium source code, without any further documentation. I have no trouble building the chromium application, that's very straight forward. However, I don't want to build on the full chromium with all its features, and then add my stuff on top of that, the result would be very slow on our machines and there would be no benefit in that as then you could just use chromium. I only want to build the content/content shell (the core piece that renders the web pages) as a library that I can include in my project. There's no support from chromium for doing that however. I'll need some time digging into their project, and unfortunately I'm pretty busy these weeks. However, I will solve that issue, it's just going to take a while.
    07-04-18 01:48 PM
    @fishlevel. It is just if their can help you. Thanks. Have good holiday

Love Peace and Share
    07-04-18 01:51 PM
    First, I want to thank you for your work.

Since, I don't know much about browser internals, maybe you can, briefly, answer a question:

WebKit (was used in Browser) is based on Chromium and both have pieces implemented in C++, correct? What are the differences between them that would make you chose one over the other?
    07-05-18 11:04 AM
    Nooooooooooooooooo

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-05-18 11:05 AM
    Nooooooooooooooooo

Posted via CB10
    I am not questioning his choices. Just looking for knowledge. If it will take too much of fishlevel's time forget it.
    07-05-18 11:07 AM
    I find that the Zeus browser from BlackBerry World still feels and functions smoother than the BEOL browser. Any clue why that might be? Looking around in the settings and info tabs of Zeus browser it looks like its a fork of the original BB10 browser. How did they accomplish that feat if my assumption is true I wonder? Any lessons to be taken from that into making a native BB10 browser instead of going the Android apk route?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 11:35 AM
    First, I want to thank you for your work.

Since, I don't know much about browser internals, maybe you can, briefly, answer a question:

WebKit (was used in Browser) is based on Chromium and both have pieces implemented in C++, correct? What are the differences between them that would make you chose one over the other?
    Webkit is a browser engine independent from chromium. Chromium/Chrome used webkit until 2013 however, then they forked it to build the blink engine, which is implemented in today's chromium and chrome browsers. Yes, they are both c++ projects. In general I don't want to deal directly with the rendering engine only, because then there would be a lot of stuff I'd have to build from scratch, like the networking layer, which is not part of the rendering engine. That's why I'd like to implement chromium's content shell, which contains the most critical components to load and render web pages, but not the full chromium with all its features.
    07-06-18 01:35 AM
    I find that the Zeus browser from BlackBerry World still feels and functions smoother than the BEOL browser. Any clue why that might be? Looking around in the settings and info tabs of Zeus browser it looks like its a fork of the original BB10 browser. How did they accomplish that feat if my assumption is true I wonder? Any lessons to be taken from that into making a native BB10 browser instead of going the Android apk route?

Posted via CB10
    That makes a lot of sense because the zeus browser is a native application while I am indeed going the android route (the only viable option since there is no up-to-date rendering engine for qnx/bb10). Android applications on BB10 will always be slower to some degree, but I think that there is a lot of room for fine-tuning and performance optimization, so that in the end the performance difference is as little as possible. Normal android browser vendors don't care that much about performance since they only target "native" android users, so they add features that cost performance and include unnecessary 3rd party libraries coming with a lot of additional stuff to achieve their goals.
    Last edited by fishlevel; 07-06-18 at 03:04 AM.
    07-06-18 01:44 AM
    Speaking of performance, I just released version 1.7.0 which improves the performance a bit and reduces the apk file size, because I have removed a compatibility library and compile specifically for v18. I'll release some small improvements like this if they are not conflicting with the chromium update.
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-06-18 04:06 AM
    And another release: 1.7.1: you can now select another user agent string in the settings so that websites think you are another browser or another OS.
    elfabio80 and Jake2826 like this.
    07-06-18 06:01 AM
    And another release: 1.7.1: you can now select another user agent string in the settings so that websites think you are another browser or another OS.
    Thanks a lot for your implication

Love Peace and Share
    07-06-18 08:01 AM
    Thanks,
    New feature works in a nice way.

As feedback, I detected that new version crash more frequently than older versions.
    Also html5test page never finish loading whereas in the past it loaded correctly.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 09:52 AM
    Thanks,

As feedback, I detected that new version crash more frequently than older versions.
    Also html5test page never finish loading whereas in the past it loaded correctly.

Posted via CB10
    I have the same issue with html5test with 1.7.1 version

Love Peace and Share
    07-06-18 10:11 AM
    Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    I think the html5 site is down---just tried it with my Win 10 laptop and same thing--also with the native browser on my Passport.
    07-06-18 11:13 AM
    can we default beol?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 12:20 PM
303 ... 678910 ...