10.3.1 browser does not have flash anymore since BlackBerry announced that it won't be supporting it anymore a month ago.

Is it possible to make a really lightweight browser flash app?
    raica7979 likes this.
    10-19-14 12:42 AM
    ​possibly
    10-19-14 12:50 AM
    ​possibly
    hopefully it is, the browser doesn't show a bunch of websites anymore..
    10-19-14 12:52 AM
    so BB10 is loosing flash support in the browser with 10.3 update, that was one of the reasons i came to Blackberry playbook and later Z10/Z30, after Android removed flash support, it's still very useful
    as many sites require it to view video content, i will have to choose update to 10.3 or stay on 10.2 and keep flash support, would not be a problem if Blackberry had more apps.
    10-19-14 05:58 PM
    so BB10 is loosing flash support in the browser with 10.3 update, that was one of the reasons i came to Blackberry playbook and later Z10/Z30, after Android removed flash support, it's still very useful
    as many sites require it to view video content, i will have to choose update to 10.3 or stay on 10.2 and keep flash support, would not be a problem if Blackberry had more apps.
    I'm pretty sure 10.3 browser works on 10.3.1. I will reply to this thread in a couple days, when I check.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-19-14 07:21 PM
    Adobe has dropped support for mobile flash. Non mobile Flash's days are numbered
    10-19-14 07:48 PM
    Adobe has dropped support for mobile flash. Non mobile Flash's days are numbered
    Does that mean ALL live streaming day's are numbered too?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 08:47 PM
    10.3 browser could work in 10.3.1 but the OS itself removed support for Adobe Air and Flash, which will probably mean that even though the 10.3 supports Flash, it will not on 10.3.1 as the Flash player is not included in the OS anymore

Does that mean ALL live streaming day's are numbered too?
    With HTML5 progressing, I bet live streaming (using HTML5 videos) will get easier without any hacks
    10-20-14 01:39 AM
    10.3 browser could work in 10.3.1 but the OS itself removed support for Adobe Air and Flash, which will probably mean that even though the 10.3 supports Flash, it will not on 10.3.1 as the Flash player is not included in the OS anymore

With HTML5 progressing, I bet live streaming (using HTML5 videos) will get easier without any hacks
    Since you are a dev is it possible to make a really light weight flash app?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 08:35 AM
    Since you are a dev is it possible to make a really light weight flash app?
    If you mean a Flash Player app: probably, but is definitely not with the effort as implementing a Flash Player is quite complex and take a really long time. Not sure if it would be worth the effort.

P.S. I think it's time to let mobile Flash rest in peace
    10-21-14 04:15 AM
    If you mean a Flash Player app: probably, but is definitely not with the effort as implementing a Flash Player is quite complex and take a really long time. Not sure if it would be worth the effort.

P.S. I think it's time to let mobile Flash rest in peace
    almost all online video use flash as either secondary or primary to HTML5. Flash is still the most universal when it comes to compatibility. It works when HTML5 doesn't and usually (99.99%) not the other way around.

ALL live streaming is Flash (primary)

All online videos use HTML5 but it isn't fully compatible from various sources when Flash is. (secondary)
    Example: The odd time you try to launch a youtube/vimeo video on a random site, sometime you will get the "Flash Player is needed" message.

HTML5 is much better but it isn't fully used as much as you might think. Flash is phasing out incredibly slowly.

For an OS that is lacking apps/internet power users, this is a huge blow and almost a deal breaker.
    Facebook actually prefers Flash.

We went from the ONLY OS supporting Flash natively to the only OS that can't get Flash.

Yes, I think it should die but it hasn't yet and now BB10 isn't supporting it forcing me to use an android for when I'm at school since the majority of profs still use Flash because they are old and stubburn.
    10-21-14 10:26 AM
    almost all online video use flash as either secondary or primary to HTML5. Flash is still the most universal when it comes to compatibility. It works when HTML5 doesn't and usually (99.99%) not the other way around.

ALL live streaming is Flash (primary)

All online videos use HTML5 but it isn't fully compatible from various sources when Flash is. (secondary)
    Example: The odd time you try to launch a youtube/vimeo video on a random site, sometime you will get the "Flash Player is needed" message.

HTML5 is much better but it isn't fully used as much as you might think. Flash is phasing out incredibly slowly.

For an OS that is lacking apps/internet power users, this is a huge blow and almost a deal breaker.
    Facebook actually prefers Flash.

We went from the ONLY OS supporting Flash natively to the only OS that can't get Flash.

Yes, I think it should die but it hasn't yet and now BB10 isn't supporting it forcing me to use an android for when I'm at school since the majority of profs still use Flash because they are old and stubburn.
    Then what are people on iOS or OS X watching? iOS does not support Flash AT ALL and OS X does not like Flash (which means Safari by default even blocks it ). World is way better without flash

Live streams are primarily using flash.

But I agree that BlackBerry said that Flash was one of their unique selling points…
    10-22-14 04:35 AM
    Then what are people on iOS or OS X watching? iOS does not support Flash AT ALL and OS X does not like Flash (which means Safari by default even blocks it ). World is way better without flash

Live streams are primarily using flash.

But I agree that BlackBerry said that Flash was one of their unique selling points…
    Unlike bb10, iOS has apps to patch it browser Flash and an app for almost any website.

Who uses safari much like Internet Explorer these days anyways?

Here is an OS X Flash update:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5655

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 10-26-14 at 01:18 PM.
    10-22-14 11:54 AM
    Unlike bb10, iOS has apps to patch it browser Flash and an app for almost any website.

Who uses safari much like Internet Explorer these days anyways?
    As far as I know those apps just transcode the content off the device and send you a regular video stream…

I guess there's enough Mac users out there using Safari as it's well integrated into OS X and if you own an iOS device it's your perfect companion as it syncs content (just like Chrome does with Android)
    10-24-14 01:26 AM
    As far as I know those apps just transcode the content off the device and send you a regular video stream�

I guess there's enough Mac users out there using Safari as it's well integrated into OS X and if you own an iOS device it's your perfect companion as it syncs content (just like Chrome does with Android)
    They must have some sort of flash (regardless of the apple and Adobe dispute). I just tested streaming espn and I get the Adobe flash player message and my friend on iOS8 was able to stream on the exact same link.

BlackBerry just suddenly just got the least compatible browser. It is a widely used browser tools on an OS that doesn't have any native apps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 10-24-14 at 05:09 PM.
    10-24-14 04:35 PM
    They must have some sort of flash (regardless of the apple and Adobe dispute). I just tested streaming espn and I get the Adobe flash player message and my friend on iOS8 was able to stream on the exact same link.

BlackBerry just suddenly just got the least compatible browser. It is a widely used browser tools on an OS that doesn't have any native apps.

Posted via CB10
    Wonder if its a user agent issue. Have you tried using a browser that will let you change user agent to Chrome/Safari?
    10-24-14 06:10 PM
    Wonder if its a user agent issue. Have you tried using a browser that will let you change user agent to Chrome/Safari?
    What browser does that? Evolution?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 11:33 PM
    I guessed I missed that non-flash announcement?? I heard about the Adobe AIR removal though...

Posted from my Canadian Passport
    10-25-14 01:16 AM
    Question...I am on OS 10.2.1 (official). if I update to 10.3.1 (official) when it comes out, will I lose the ability to stream online flash content? This is very important to me and one of the main reasons for choosing a BlackBerry. If so, I prefer to stick with the current OS version.

Posted from my Blackberry Z3
    10-25-14 01:58 AM
    Question...I am on OS 10.2.1 (official). if I update to 10.3.1 (official) when it comes out, will I lose the ability to stream online flash content? This is very important to me and one of the main reasons for choosing a BlackBerry. If so, I prefer to stick with the current OS version.

BlackBerry never say they will remove flash. It is adobe air they removing.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    10-25-14 05:26 AM
    BlackBerry never say they will remove flash. It is adobe air they removing.

Trust me when I say that all adobe products got discontinued. Official announcement will be in a few weeks but mist likely they will keep it quiet until they get asked.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:23 AM

Yes, you won't be able to do much on your browser anymore. Go on BlackBerry beta zone to show your concerns.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 07:25 AM
    Yes, you won't be able to do much on your browser anymore. Go on BlackBerry beta zone to show your concerns.

Posted via CB10
    Beta zone is just to showcase beta app. What it can do about it.

10-25-14 08:13 AM
    Trust me when I say that all adobe products got discontinued. Official announcement will be in a few weeks but mist likely they will keep it quiet until they get asked.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that. BlackBerry developer certain tools also rely on adobe product. If all adobe products were to be phase out, there would be an announcement on developers portal.

10-25-14 08:15 AM
    I doubt that. BlackBerry developer certain tools also rely on adobe product. If all adobe products were to be phase out, there would be an announcement on developers portal.

I meant air and flash

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:15 AM
33 12