PocketSafe is an headless app that prevents your phone from pocket typing and pocket dialing. It's been in public beta testing for a few weeks in Beta Zone and it's now out in BlackBerry World.

What's pocket typing?
    That's when your phone sends a message or dials a phone number by itself while the phone is in your pocket. This is due to touchscreen receiving false touch events. Never get embarassed anymore with PocketSafe.

PocketSafe will also prevent false touch events when you're on the phone. Did your cheek ever pressed an on-screen button while talking on the phone? This will never happen again.

How does it works?
    Super easy : Proximity Sensor. All BB10 phones have one, it's usually on top part of the front face. When the screen is turned ON, PocketSafe starts the sensor and begin receiving what we call 'close events'. A close event is when the sensor detects that an object is close to the sensor (a few centimeter, not even an inch). Of course, I can't differentiate what kind of object this is, but it's usually not a good sign if the object stay close for more than a second. That means there's a good chance that your phone is against your face or inside your pocket, and accidental typing can then occur as the screen is still ON.*

In those occasions, PocketSafe shows a popup on screen to 'consume' false touch events, if ever they occur. As soon as your phone will get out of the close environment, the popup will disappear by itself, letting you use the device.

Is this app going to drain my battery?
    In my own testing, PocketSafe has little impact on the battery life, and Device Monitor also reports almost no battery and CPU usage. But, if you're still concerned, I've added an option called 'Battery Saving Mode'.

What's 'Battery Saving Mode'?
    This mode will start the Proximity Sensor when the screen gets turned ON, but if no close objects has been detected in the first 10 seconds, it will stop the Proximity Sensor and wait for the next time the screen is turned ON. If a close object is found in the first 10 seconds, the app will keep protecting your phone from pocket typing as long as a close object can't be detected for 10 second straight.

As pocket typing usually happens in your pocket after an accidental unlock, Battery Saving Mode should be able to prevent pocket typing in most cases. The only case where this mode will fail to prevent pocket typing is if you forget to turn OFF your screen before putting your phone in your pocket.

The app is available in BlackBerry World for 0.99$
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59967056

PocketSafe official thread-logo.png

PocketSafe official thread-splash-1440x1440.png

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150805_001914.png

Posted via CB10
    ferchu and nganinho like this.
    08-04-15 11:20 PM
    Version 1.0.1.13 is now out in BlackBerry World, it includes many bug fixes. Here's a quick list of changes from original released version :
    - Tutorial added to help set the app depending on each user habits
    - Some small UI changes
    - Fixed a bug that would make the battery drain and heat on some rare occasions (it was happening if the phone wasn't used after a reboot)
    - Fixed a bug where the app would not work after a reboot
    - Fixed a bug that caused the popup to stay even if no close objects were found
    - Fixed a bug that caused the popup to stay if a close object was detected for more than 10 seconds straight
    - Better backend logic
    - Other smaller bug fixes

If you like the app, please leave a positive review.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RodgerLeblanc; 08-05-15 at 12:08 AM.
    FF22, its Steve, ferchu and 1 others like this.
    08-04-15 11:28 PM
    I really love this app. So useful and easy to use.
    Now my *** won't write any msg to anyone anymore. =)
    Thx for this little but awesome app.
    Worth to have, especially when u have a Shell Case.
    Keep on the good work.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 03:04 AM
    Popup wouldn't go away after I installed supposed fix to prevent it from occuring in the first place and therefore effectively couldn't use my phone. Deleted app as I couldn't access my home screen!! Very scary event and not worth chance it'll happen again.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 01:38 PM
    Popup wouldn't go away after I installed supposed fix to prevent it from occuring in the first place and therefore effectively couldn't use my phone. Deleted app as I couldn't access my home screen!! Very scary event and not worth chance it'll happen again.

Posted via CB10
    Have you sent me a bug report when this happened? I probably would have been able to help you make it go away.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 03:17 PM
    The latest update version is draining out my battery juice.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 09:35 PM
    What's your settings in the app?

Can you provide more information, like when the drain is happening (after a reboot, during night, while using the device, while the phone is locked, etc).

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 09:38 PM
    Version 1.0.2.2 is available in BlackBerry World, it might take a few hours to appear worldwide.

Brings all kind of bug fixes.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 01:32 AM
    App woukdn't let me send a bug report! Typed 1 2 3 4 to no avail

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:42 PM
    Great app, regular bug fixes with updates. Now the false positives are occurring less frequently and app seems to understand when entering 1 2 3 4.
    Thanks & Good Luck.

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.1.2576
    08-08-15 12:50 PM
    Where is Proximity Sensor located on the Blackberry Passport? Re-installed Pocket Safe and Battery Saving Mode yesterday but popups continued and had to uninstall it again. Pressing 1234 did nothing

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:18 AM
    Where is Proximity Sensor located on the Blackberry Passport? Re-installed Pocket Safe and Battery Saving Mode yesterday but popups continued and had to uninstall it again. Pressing 1234 did nothing

Posted via CB10
    It's top left on Passport

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150810_124807.png

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:49 AM
    Please fix the battery drainage problem. The ap uses much battery when idle

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 06:19 PM
    Please fix the battery drainage problem. The ap uses much battery when idle

Posted via Z30
    Hi Mataras!

I'm proud to tell that Battery drain is fixed in the next release, it was a hard bug to track as none of my beta testers were affected by it and I wasn't able to reproduce. Fortunately, someone sent me a bug report with the necessary information to find the cause and that user accepted to become a beta tester.

The new update was sent to BlackBerry World for review last Saturday and should be approved sometime this week.

Here's a graph from my phone, this is with Battery Saving Mode OFF.

PocketSafe official thread-new-graph.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 06:27 PM
    Hi Mataras!

I'm proud to tell that Battery drain is fixed in the next release, it was a hard bug to track as none of my beta testers were affected by it and I wasn't able to reproduce. Fortunately, someone sent me a bug report with the necessary information to find the cause and that user accepted to become a beta tester.

The new update was sent to BlackBerry World for review last Saturday and should be approved sometime this week.

Here's a graph from my phone, this is with Battery Saving Mode OFF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New graph.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	366291

Posted via CB10
    Very good news. Looking forward to the new release. Please inform us accordingly

Posted via Z30
    08-10-15 06:29 PM
    Version 1.0.7.1 is now available in BlackBerry World, it fixes battery drain for those experiencing it, but it also brings a new settings where you can decide how long PocketSafe will monitor Proximity Sensor after a screen unlock (it was 10 seconds before, can now be customize between 1 and 20 seconds).

Also the app is translated in Czech, English, Italian, Ukrainian and Vietnamese, more languages are coming soon.

Here's my battery and CPU stats for the last 48 hours

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150811_030706_edit.png

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150811_030656_edit.png

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150811_030637.png

PocketSafe official thread-img_20150811_030601.png

Posted via CB10
    czechberry and ferchu like this.
    08-11-15 05:16 AM
    great updated

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 02:23 AM
    So I was sitting here at work, with my Z30 in my pocket, and my audiobook started playing (my co-workers are probably wondering why I'm reading a book with a character named Captain Carrot).

I'm thinking it wasn't the screen, but the side buttons. Is this something that can be added, maybe as an opt-in option, where it disables media controls of the buttons?
    08-12-15 08:26 AM
    So I was sitting here at work, with my Z30 in my pocket, and my audiobook started playing (my co-workers are probably wondering why I'm reading a book with a character named Captain Carrot).

I'm thinking it wasn't the screen, but the side buttons. Is this something that can be added, maybe as an opt-in option, where it disables media controls of the buttons?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check if I can add it, I'll definitely make it an option (not something always ON) as I do use those buttons when screen is OFF to play/pause/skip music, so I don't want this to be disabled.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 08:32 AM
    Hi.
    Great App. Congrat!
    But, in last release, when the lock screen appears and invites me to type 1-2-3-4, I notice that touching one and any of the numbers, unlock the screen and enable me to entire write in screen.
    The same would not happen in the pocket? Should not force the 1-2-3-4 sequence typing?
    Regards
    08-12-15 09:39 AM
    Hi.
    Great App. Congrat!
    But, in last release, when the lock screen appears and invites me to type 1-2-3-4, I notice that touching one and any of the numbers, unlock the screen and enable me to entire write in screen.
    The same would not happen in the pocket? Should not force the 1-2-3-4 sequence typing?
    Regards
    In fact, the popup will come back if there is still a close object detected by the proximity sensor. What probably happens here (correct me if I'm wrong) is that when the lock screen appears, you're probably holding the device in a way that one of your hand is covering the proximity sensor but as soon as you start clicking number 1, your hand move and it's not covering the proximity sensor anymore.

To avoid that, please take a few seconds to locate your proximity sensor on your device, it's usually top right or top left. If you have Battery Saving Mode set to OFF, you can make the popup appear at any time by covering the proximity sensor with your hand. If Battery Saving Mode is ON, make sure to do it quickly after the screen is unlocked.

If you cover the proximity sensor for a long time, you'll see that clicking only one button will make the popup come back immediately as long as the proximity sensor detects a close object.

To avoid having this popup come up when it's not needed, make sure to keep your hands far from the proximity sensor. If that's not enough, you can play with the different settings inside the app (swipe down from top inside the app). If you want to keep Battery Saving Mode OFF, set a high delay (from 1.5 to 2 seconds). If you think Battery Saving Mode is what will suit your needs, this option should fix your issue pretty easily.

The app is built in a way that if no close object is detected, the popup will automatically disappear, as the phone isn't in your pocket anymore and should be accessible without having to click 1-2-3-4 each time.

Posted via CB10
    ferchu likes this.
    08-12-15 09:50 AM
    Has this apps functionality been improved as well?

I uninstalled it from both my Passport and Q10 on the 10th, since it simply didn't work. My only solution so far has been to disable swipe to unlock.
    08-15-15 07:34 PM
    Has this apps functionality been improved as well?

I uninstalled it from both my Passport and Q10 on the 10th, since it simply didn't work. My only solution so far has been to disable swipe to unlock.
    On the 11th, version 1.0.7.1 was approved and bring many bug fixes that should solve your issues you were having with the app.

Along with bug fixes, I also added support for a few languages and a new Tutorial.

You should definitely try the latest version.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 07:49 PM
    Thanks, I've installed it, and set the time to 0.5 seconds.

Will report back how it goes
    08-15-15 08:20 PM
    As promised, hereby reporting back

The update seems to have solved any issues I previously had, and "protects" against pocket swiping just perfectly now.

Strongly recommended.
    RodgerLeblanc likes this.
    08-17-15 06:01 AM
43 12