Mmh, Air-Print uses URF.

We have to search a JPEG/PNG to URF convert tool.

A quick search didn't provide any definitive document but it looks like "URF" is just a raster image format?

So it won't help with a regular document like PDF, correct?

What I don't understand is that the printer announces JPEG compatibility, but I can't print a JPEG to it either.
    07-25-13 04:28 PM
    A quick search didn't provide any definitive document but it looks like "URF" is just a raster image format?

So it won't help with a regular document like PDF, correct?

What I don't understand is that the printer announces JPEG compatibility, but I can't print a JPEG to it either.
    For URF, I haven't got a lot of info

For JPEG, the best way is print from a mobile device. Dump the network traffic with wireshark. And I can analyse and fix the issue.

I have planned to add Google cloud print too.

Regards,

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 02:51 AM
    I have used your discovery tool to get the printer info and I got TXTrp = duerqxesz5090 and the IP is 192.168.0.50:631
    Playcloud 10 automatically finds my printer and it sets it to ipp://192.168.0.50/duerqxesz5090.
    When I try to print it goes "Job has aborted due to error"
    I have checked the printer configuration an IPP is enable.
    Can you help me?
    Tks
    07-26-13 08:05 PM
    I have used your discovery tool to get the printer info and I got TXTrp = duerqxesz5090 and the IP is 192.168.0.50:631
    Playcloud 10 automatically finds my printer and it sets it to ipp://192.168.0.50/duerqxesz5090.
    When I try to print it goes "Job has aborted due to error"
    I have checked the printer configuration an IPP is enable.
    Can you help me?
    Tks

When you look at the output of the mDNS-SD tool under "Internet Printer", what does it say after either "Document format supported" or "TXT pdl" for this printer?

You may also have to change the URL, as I did with my Epson. What does it list for the field starting with "TXT rp"? (I think it should be "duerqxesz5090" as auto-detected, but might be worth checking anyway.)
    07-26-13 09:10 PM
    Txt pdl = application/vnd.hp-PCL
    Txt rp matches the autodetected URL...
    Help!
    07-30-13 06:36 PM
    Help!
    Is your printer directly connected to your network or shared from a computer ? The reason I ask is, mine is shared and requires me to manually add it to PlayCloud because I need to supply a username and password.
    07-30-13 08:52 PM
    Help!
    Your printer supports only PCL format. So you can't print in using PlayCloud or install a printer server on your desktop to share the printer.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 12:58 AM
    Is your printer directly connected to your network or shared from a computer ? The reason I ask is, mine is shared and requires me to manually add it to PlayCloud because I need to supply a username and password.
    It is connected to the router by ethernet. I print On it with both a Windows and a Mac through wifi.
    07-31-13 09:13 PM
    Nicolas was extremely responsive and eventually we found the correct uri. For my printer, directly attached to the network on 192.168.1.4, the correct uri is:

ipp://192.168.1.4/ipp/printer

Hopefully this helps, although sadly it turns out my printer doesn't support either of the required PDF or PS formats, so having finally got the thing configured, I still can't print to it

Posted via CB10
    Awesome! This worked for me. I was able to set up my HP Pro 8600 with these instructions. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 09:20 PM
    So no chances then? Only way around is to change the printer? Would Playcloud eventually support PCL?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:25 AM
    So no chances then? Only way around is to change the printer? Would Playcloud eventually support PCL?

Posted via CB10
    PCL is a common language, but there are a lot of device specific settings cooked into it. There are universal PCL XL drivers available from a lot of manufacturers, and pretty much any of those would probably work, but there would be all of the addons to account for (trays, finishing options, etc) that PlayClous may not be able to work with it.

I'd love it if PCL could be added, or even LPR/LPD but once you start having to introduce drivers into the equation the programme gets either very bloated or very limited.
    08-01-13 10:41 AM
    PCL is a common language, but there are a lot of device specific settings cooked into it. There are universal PCL XL drivers available from a lot of manufacturers, and pretty much any of those would probably work, but there would be all of the addons to account for (trays, finishing options, etc) that PlayClous may not be able to work with it.

I'd love it if PCL could be added, or even LPR/LPD but once you start having to introduce drivers into the equation the programme gets either very bloated or very limited.

What a lot of mobile printing solutions rely upon is for the printer itself to do the rasterizing of the documents/images internally so all they have to do is basically just copy the file to the printer. This is what PlayCloud is doing by default, I believe.

Ironically that was more practical in the old days when printers were mostly printing plain text and people didn't expect WYSIWYG output - the typeface it used was whatever was built-in to the printer. The only reason it works at all now is because a lot of printers now include features to directly print images from ie a digital camera, or scans made from their internal scanner, so they have started including the ability to internally convert a limited set of document formats directly to printed output.

Over the last 20 years or so (yeah, I'm old ) during the rise of GUI operating systems, complex printer drivers have been necessary to convert the visual output on the screen to a close approximation in the printer, each of which has its own internal way of converting input to printed output. Those drivers are typically built in to the operating system as provided by the various printer vendors, or are added later via a driver install.

But Mobile devices are too "thin" to have hundreds of printer drivers included in the OS, so some more "lightweight" solution has to be found. One common way to do that is use a personal computer to do the formatting, via a sort of 'print server' utility installed on it. But that requires the computer to be left on all the time in order to print a document/file from a mobile device.

What's weird was that I thought Nicolas had mentioned using "CUPS" for printing - a common Linux/Unix printing subsystem which also includes various print drivers. Because if this was what was being done, it would theoretically no longer require that a networked printer understand any document format that is printed, because the drivers could be built-in to CUPS - only that the printer support a common network printing protocol such as IPP or Airprint.
    08-01-13 11:34 AM
    What a lot of mobile printing solutions rely upon is for the printer itself to do the rasterizing of the documents/images internally so all they have to do is basically just copy the file to the printer. This is what PlayCloud is doing by default, I believe.

[...]

What's weird was that I thought Nicolas had mentioned using "CUPS" for printing - a common Linux/Unix printing subsystem which also includes various print drivers. Because if this was what was being done, it would theoretically no longer require that a networked printer understand any document format that is printed, because the drivers could be built-in to CUPS - only that the printer support a common network printing protocol such as IPP or Airprint.
    Perfect

Indeed PlayCloud doesn't read, parse and convert documents. And I don't intend to do it (maybe in an other application). Even if I can convert photo or use Google doc

More and more printers support a set of standard format as jpeg, png, pdf... so PlayCloud Just sends the file.

Convert (or export) documents should be done by the owner application. Sample DocToGo could easily export documents in jpg or pdf then print through PlayCloud. I can offer invocation api.

In next future, I'll add Google print cloud. This service permits to use easily some printers and offer convert tool.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 01:29 AM
    Nicolas - for what it's worth: I had a trial version of PrinterShare for Android on my Android tablet but never tried it. It discovers and works great printing to both my new Epson Artisan 837 as well as my old HP Laserjet 4050 (with JetDirect card) over the network, apparently using IPP.

I noticed on their app description page - perhaps a resource you could also use depending on how far you want to take the printing functionality:

"For direct nearby printing to selected printer models PrinterShare downloads and uses drivers provided by HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) and gutenPrint (Gutenprint Printer Drivers). These drivers are distributed under GNU General Public License, version 2."
    Seems one could get around the various document format rendering complications by just using one of the existing PDF generation tools in BB10 to generate PDF files and then just print from there.
    08-10-13 09:28 PM
    You can download and try the application :

http://progweb.com/mdns.bar

The application should list all the devices announced on the network ; then you can read the details... Sample for a printer, "address" and "TXT rp". I'll use this tool in PlayCloud.

Ex:
    - address : 192.168.1.10:631
    - TXT rp : printers/PDF
    => result is : ipp://192.168.1.10:631/printers/PDF
    (or ipp://192.168.1.10/printers/PDF since 631 is the default port for IPP)

Nicolas
    Resurrecting.........................

I was finally able to get the ipp function turned "ON" for the network printers.

I downloaded the tool above .... it works.....
    - address : 192.168.0.201:631
    - TXT rp : printers/lp1

=> result therefore should be: ipp://192.168.0.201:631/printers/lp1
    (or ipp://192.168.0.201/printers/lp1 since 631 is the default port for IPP)

But ............ I still can't get it to work..... all I get is "Printer connection failure!"
    If I go in the browser on my phone over WiFi I can see http://192.168.0.201 ........ I can see the Kyocera Command Center (the printer).

Any ideas ??
    (NOTE: I know the ipp has been toggled to "ON" and can see it in the Kyocera Command Center)
    09-04-13 11:17 AM
    You can contact me in private to try to find a solution.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 01:25 AM
    I'm mostly using another app these days for printing.

Though I was still curious if I could get this working. Using mDNS I can piece together the URL so that it appears PlayCloud is recognizing the printer's capabilities.

But whenever I try to print something now, PlayCloud crashes.
    09-06-13 07:07 PM
    I'm mostly using another app these days for printing.

Though I was still curious if I could get this working. Using mDNS I can piece together the URL so that it appears PlayCloud is recognizing the printer's capabilities.

But whenever I try to print something now, PlayCloud crashes.
    Do you using the last release 3.4.0 ?

Are you able to print the test page ? long tap on the printer item in the printers list.

Can you contact me in private ?

Regards,

Nicolas
    09-07-13 01:42 AM
    Do you using the last release 3.4.0 ?

3.4.0.6 to be exact.

Are you able to print the test page ? long tap on the printer item in the printers list.

The printer acts like something is going to print (print heads wake up), but nothing prints.

Can you contact me in private ?

Will do.
    09-07-13 01:16 PM
    So far, very disappointed and regret purchasing this app. This is definitely not an app for those who are NOT technically inclined. My printer is discovered, but the DOCUMENT FORMAT SUPPORTED only lists "application/octet-stream, image/urf". My limited understanding then is that the limitation is my printer. The printer works perfectly with AirPrint (iPad), but I was hoping to find a way to print from my Z10.
    10-24-13 11:35 PM
    So far, very disappointed and regret purchasing this app. This is definitely not an app for those who are NOT technically inclined. My printer is discovered, but the DOCUMENT FORMAT SUPPORTED only lists "application/octet-stream, image/urf". My limited understanding then is that the limitation is my printer. The printer works perfectly with AirPrint (iPad), but I was hoping to find a way to print from my Z10.
    Application/urf is a proprietary apple format. If someone is able to give me info about it. I'll try to do somewhat.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 11:54 PM
    Application/urf is a proprietary apple format. If someone is able to give me info about it. I'll try to do somewhat.

Nicolas
    Thanks for the reply, Nicolas. I am not laying blame ... I just wish I understood this well enough to have known that my printer was not compatible with the limited formats supported. When I read the description that PDF files were supported, I clicked BUY without thinking. My mistake for not researching more first.
    10-25-13 12:12 AM
    Thanks for the reply, Nicolas. I am not laying blame ... I just wish I understood this well enough to have known that my printer was not compatible with the limited formats supported. When I read the description that PDF files were supported, I clicked BUY without thinking. My mistake for not researching more first.
    Some AirPrint printers support URF and/or JPEG and/or PDF. You can't know without try.

That's why at home I use a print server on my linux desktop (CUPS) to be able to print.

The real issue is all these proprietary format

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 12:57 AM
    AAAAAA!!!! Just unregistered from Google drive and now I'm not able to register back anymore! I get a cookie error from Google! Help!
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00001342.png

Me?! I keep movin'!
    10-28-13 11:30 AM
    Sorry.. there you go..
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00001343.png

Me?! I keep movin'!
    10-28-13 11:33 AM
121 ... 2345