Hah, that's what I hate about UI's like this - all these "hidden" things. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Do you want other hidden features

- on the cloud view (icon or list), you can use pinch zoom.

- on the printer settings, you can change the default printer icon - just need to tap on the icon

Nicolas
    06-01-13 11:32 AM
    Do you want other hidden features

- on the cloud view (icon or list), you can use pinch zoom.

- on the printer settings, you can change the default printer icon - just need to tap on the icon

Nicolas

Thanks for the tips.

I think I saw something about the icon, and I don't know about the pinch to zoom, I may have stumbled across that...
    06-01-13 02:24 PM
    Well, last update is kind of a mess for ipp printing. I downloaded it and now I can't print anymore through my previously set printer bridging through my PC because PlayCloud crashes. Printer discovery function is cool, but doesn't really change the fact that it won't connect directly to the printer.

We need tools, not toys.
    06-18-13 07:26 AM
    Well, last update is kind of a mess for ipp printing. I downloaded it and now I can't print anymore through my previously set printer bridging through my PC because PlayCloud crashes. Printer discovery function is cool, but doesn't really change the fact that it won't connect directly to the printer.

We need tools, not toys.
    About manuel settings I have nothing changed.

Can you describe exactly when is the application crash.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 12:46 PM
    I've messed with the settings in PlayCloud quite a bit and cannot get it to connect to a MFD (copier) that fully supports IPP. Lets just say I'm not a novice in this area but I can't give you any other feedback other than it refuses to do anything if authentication is disabled, and when enabled no matter what URL or username and password combo I use it just sits at "Loading...". If there were some logging functionality in here where I could give you some debug info I'd be more then happy to, but I don't see anywhere that logs are available.

If you'd like to work on it and get it functioning, let me know as this is an area I have considerable experience in and I'd be happy to assist with troubleshooting / debugging.

EDIT: Also, I have loaded up the mDNS app and it does properly discover the printer as both an internet printer and a PDL printer, and there is no auto-detection happening inside PlayCloud with it.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 06-18-13 at 04:26 PM.
    06-18-13 04:15 PM
    Hi,

If you use printer service discovery, you don't need to do something.

Just try to print a media supported by your printer (PDF, PS, JPEG)

Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-bbprint.png

If you set manually a printer (mandatory if your printer needs credentials) , you have to set the full URI.

PlayCloud uses CUPS tool to print. So if you have a Linux or Mac computer you should be able to get the same result.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 04:36 PM
    With auto-discovery, it sees the printer but reports a connection error and if I hit print the app crashes. I disabled authentication tried a few different settings on the printer with no avail...
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000042.png

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    06-18-13 07:01 PM
    Need more info.

Can you post all info returned by "mDNS" tool ? (when you tap on your printer item)

If you read "connection failure" in the "Printer info", it means either
    - URI is wrong
    - need credentials (so use manual mode)
    - your printer doesn't do IPP

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:25 AM
    With auto-discovery, it sees the printer but reports a connection error and if I hit print the app crashes. I disabled authentication tried a few different settings on the printer with no avail...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000042.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	173654

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    Hi

Can you try to print this document :
    http://progweb.com/playcloud.ps

Your printer supports postscript.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 04:50 AM
    So Nicolas, Printing to a network printer found through the auto search utility you just added in this new release is not possible at all, unless you manually add a printer through a desktop computer with username and password (the ones you set adding a user account when activating printer sharing option under mac osx utility) in the configuration panel .

Yesterday I tried to print through printers shared by other pcs in the office and also tried to connect directly to the printer that appeared in the auto search under ipp address ipp://192.168.0.20/ and the first attempts made playcloud crash while the second attempt (directly to ipp printer through the router ipp://192.168.0.20/) said "Printer connection failure!"... so I suddenly tried to print through the printer I set weeks ago in the configuration panel with username and password (which used to work before the update ) and playcloud crashed still!
    I the rebooted Z10 and tried it one more time through the manually saved printer configuration and it finally printed.

So printing only works when printer is shared through a pc you have an account configured into, which makes the printer discovery utility pretty useless. I guess it all lays on the ipp drivers playcloud has been coded with, that maybe do not work with all models of ipp enabled printers, but I really don't know being no app developer... I just guess.

Anyway you're being of big help by answering posts and minding the printing issue. Keep up the good work!

We need tools, not toys.
    06-19-13 10:14 AM
    Hi,

If you use printer service discovery, you don't need to do something.

Just try to print a media supported by your printer (PDF, PS, JPEG)

Name:	bbprint.png 
Views:	716 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	173625

If you set manually a printer (mandatory if your printer needs credentials) , you have to set the full URI.

PlayCloud uses CUPS tool to print. So if you have a Linux or Mac computer you should be able to get the same result.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by "You have to set the full URI?" What could a full URI be like?
    As I see in these screnshots there are only PC shared printers, no direct connection to IPP Printers

What About this (see marked printer):
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000667.jpg

The first one is the manually set printer, the second one is the printer found by the discovery utilty as shared by the computer (same computer sharing same printer), the third and marked one is the same printer directly seen in the office network. Only first one works though... and, by the way, there's no password protection enabled inside the printer.
    06-19-13 10:30 AM
    What's the status of printing from Play Cloud?

The reason I ask is that I have an older Canon_MP780 attached by USB to a Mac Mini, and although I can connect to the printer with PlayCloud, every time I try to print a PDF, PlayCloud abruptly closes and nothing prints.

Are there minimum specifications for a printer, and, if so, what are those specifications? Is my printer incompatible with PlayCloud, or is PlayCloud printing still in development? Are others having success?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 10:57 PM
    Hi,

The printing part is under devel. And I'll fix all issue.

Your printer or print server has to support IPP for the communication ; and supports PDF, PS or JPEG, PNG files.

When you try to print a document PlayCloud says if your printer seems support file format.

For the crash, I'm working.. if someone can share a printer so as I test myself. Just add a forward rule in your firewall to redirect the network traffic on the port 631.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 01:21 AM
    The printer appears to support IPP.
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000507.png
    and (from the printer setup screen)
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000509.png

One thing that I am unclear about is whether the printer needs to be a stand-alone network printer, or if the printer can be attached by USB to a computer, which then accepts a print job to a printer queue and spools the job to the USB printer?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:32 AM
    The printer appears to support IPP.

and (from the printer setup screen)

One thing that I am unclear about is whether the printer needs to be a stand-alone network printer, or if the printer can be attached by USB to a computer, which then accepts a print job to a printer queue and spools the job to the USB printer?
    Your printer seems to share with Cups so it should work perfectly with PlayCloud.

If your printer is only USB, it's mandatory to have a print server since IPP is a network protocol to send print job to network printer

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:58 AM
    My HP Deskjet F4400 Series All in One is connected via USB to my MaC Mini. I can print from Playcloud using a manually entered printer because I have to specify the username and password for my Mac account. I'm not home right now, but the address is something like the following address ipp://192.168.65.100:631/f4400 If I try and print to the auto discovered printer it just goes into the Transfer folder and sits there until it generates an error. Ocasionally PlayCloud closes down when printing, but I understand it is early in development.
    Last edited by bbgolf; 07-10-13 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
    07-10-13 11:42 AM
    Auto detect can't work if you have a login / password. I'm going to search if I can request the user credentials...

I have few printer devices

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 02:58 PM
    Following along from bbgolf's advice, I've had considerable success.

First off, I went into the Printers tab in Settings and deleted the printer I had previously defined (touch and hold the printer icon and then select the trashcan) .

2nd. I added a printer. I switched Enable to On.
    Set Host to: ipp://192.168.1.23/printers/Canon_MP780
    Set the Username to that of a registered user on the Mac mini and entered the password for that user.
    I changed Name from "New Printer" to "Mac Mini Canon" so that later it would be obvious which printer I had defined.
    I left the other fields alone and backed out of the setup.

When I go to print, the print dialog shows "No printer found" for 1 or 2 seconds, and then switches to "1 printer found" (this appears to be the auto-detected printer).

In the Printer drop down box I see two printers : the one I defined ("Mac Mini Canon") , and the auto discovered version ("Canon MP780 @ My Mac Mini" - ipp://192.168.1.23/printers/Canon_MP780). They're actually one and the same printer. Select the user defined on ("Mac Mini Canon "). Selecting the auto discovered one doesn't work.

BEFORE pressing the printer icon at the bottom, WAIT a few seconds for the "Printer info" field to fill as shown here:
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000516.png
    If I don't wait for the "Printer info" field to populate, PlayCloud crashes. (So far) if I do wait, my document prints!

Might I suggest that a switch be added to enable/unable auto discovery, and also fixing the password field so that the password is only visible when you first setup the printer. Currently the password can be viewed anytime you go into printer setup.
    johnnyuk and nicklas79 like this.
    07-10-13 04:44 PM
    Following along from bbgolf's advice, I've had considerable success.

First off, I went into the Printers tab in Settings and deleted the printer I had previously defined (touch and hold the printer icon and then select the trashcan) .

2nd. I added a printer. I switched Enable to On.
    Set Host to: ipp://192.168.1.23/printers/Canon_MP780
    Set the Username to that of a registered user on the Mac mini and entered the password for that user.
    I changed Name from "New Printer" to "Mac Mini Canon" so that later it would be obvious which printer I had defined.
    I left the other fields alone and backed out of the setup.

When I go to print, the print dialog shows "No printer found" for 1 or 2 seconds, and then switches to "1 printer found" (this appears to be the auto-detected printer).

In the Printer drop down box I see two printers : the one I defined ("Mac Mini Canon") , and the auto discovered version ("Canon MP780 @ My Mac Mini" - ipp://192.168.1.23/printers/Canon_MP780). They're actually one and the same printer. Select the user defined on ("Mac Mini Canon "). Selecting the auto discovered one doesn't work.

BEFORE pressing the printer icon at the bottom, WAIT a few seconds for the "Printer info" field to fill as shown here:

Name:	IMG_00000516.png 
Views:	1115 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	181235
    If I don't wait for the "Printer info" field to populate, PlayCloud crashes. (So far) if I do wait, my document prints!

Might I suggest that a switch be added to enable/unable auto discovery, and also fixing the password field so that the password is only visible when you first setup the printer. Currently the password can be viewed anytime you go into printer setup.
    Very good

Indeed. If you start the print job without waiting the printer info refresh the application crash.

I'm going to fix it.

For other requests I add in my todo list.

Thank's

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 02:01 AM
    Hi,

Just for your information, the next PlayCloud release is dedicated for the printer users

I work to add a printer service discovery. And I have the first result

So PlayCloud will be soon able to work as AirPrint.

Then, in a second time, I'll add Google Cloud Print support.

Nicolas
    Nicolas:

Is there any way to add LPD/LPR support to PlayCloud as a workaround for those without IPP supported printers?
    07-12-13 11:57 AM
    Nicolas:

Is there any way to add LPD/LPR support to PlayCloud as a workaround for those without IPP supported printers?
    I don't think because with LPD / LPR we need to use printer driver. We can't send PDF or JPEG document.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-13-13 02:43 AM
    That's an impressive list of compatible formats on the Canon MP780.

I think I'm going to give up trying to get PlayCloud to interoperate with my HP Laserjet. (Which is definitely IPP compatible - was one of the first to have that facility - but its document support is apparently limited to text, Postscript or PCL, the Postscript doesn't seem to work from Playcloud)

And apparently my Epson Artisan 810 doesn't seem to have IPP support at all, at least that I can find documented.

So my solution is to buy another printer.

Not as silly as it sounds - a refurbished Epson Artisan 837 (supposedly with AirPrint support) is $110 US, my 810 was having issues with its paper feeder, and its ink is getting low. Replacing all 6 ink cartridges would cost about $72, and the 837 comes with a full set.
    07-14-13 08:37 AM
    Hi

The crash is now fixed

Soon a new release.

If you wish to be informed about PlayCloud news, join my BBM Channel :

C00097A2F

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    iNeoEon likes this.
    07-19-13 01:42 AM
    So my solution is to buy another printer.

Not as silly as it sounds - a refurbished Epson Artisan 837 (supposedly with AirPrint support) is $110 US, my 810 was having issues with its paper feeder, and its ink is getting low. Replacing all 6 ink cartridges would cost about $72, and the 837 comes with a full set.

I now have the Artisan 837, which supports IPP, AirPrint and Google CloudPrint, as well as proprietary Epson wireless printing methods.

It's visible on the network, discoverable by mDNS-SD. When configuring AirPrint on the device, I set it to use IPP as the highest priority printing port, rather than the default of port 9100.

Using the mDNS-SD tool I have determined the following URL for the device:

ipp://[IP address]:631/Epson_IPP_Printer

This results in a successful check via the printer setup tool in PlayCloud. (latest version)

But the device does not announce compatibility with any document format, only JPEG:

Document format supported:

application/octet-stream, image/urf, image/jpeg

So attempting to print a PDF file fails, PlayCloud advises that the format is not supported by the device.

But even trying to print a JPEG file fails. I get a transfer error in all cases.

I know for a fact that with other mechanisms the device will wirelessly print PDF files as well as other document formats.

How can we solve this issue?
    07-25-13 03:46 PM
    Mmh, Air-Print uses URF.

We have to search a JPEG/PNG to URF convert tool.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 04:06 PM
121 12345