Looking so much forward to the printing feature. keep up the good work.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 03:45 AM
    Oh

Can you share more info ? In mDNS tool can you tap on your printer item and copy/paste the results.

When you try to print... Can you send me the screen about your printer settings? At last, all the steps until PlayCloud crash

Thank's

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    of course:

So this is the info from my printer itself which oddly shows up in mDNS-SD only when it's connection is shared from the pc:

TXT Punch = 0
    TXT Staple = F
    TXT Sort = F
    TXT Collate = F
    TXT Bind = F
    TXT PaperCustom = T
    TXT Duplex = F
    TXT Copies = F
    TXT Color = F
    TXT Binary = T
    TXT Transparent = T
    TXT usb_MDL = Type 104
    TXT usb_MFG = MFP
    TXT adminurl = http://192.168.0.20
    TXT pdl = application/octet-stream,application/vnd.hp-PCL,application/vnd.hp-PCLXL,application/postscript,application/x-QPDL
    TXT product = (MFP Type 104)
    TXT ty = MFP Type 104
    TXT priority = 51
    TXT qtotal = 1
    TXT note = Network
    TXT txtvers = 1

This is the info from the printer shared by the pc (bridged)

TXT pdl = application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png
    TXT Scan = F
    TXT Sort = F
    TXT Bind = F
    TXT Punch = F
    TXT Collate = F
    TXT Copies = T
    TXT Staple = F
    TXT Duplex = T
    TXT Color = F
    TXT Fax = F
    TXT Binary = T
    TXT Transparent = T
    TXT printer-type = 0x809056
    TXT printer-state = 3
    TXT product = (MFP Type 104)
    TXT priority = 0
    TXT note = Network
    TXT adminurl = http://EON-Sound-Base:631/printers/Ricoh
    TXT ty = Type 104 PS
    TXT rp = printers/Ricoh
    TXT qtotal = 1
    TXT txtvers = 1

in the image attached you can see the settings which makes me able to connect to the pc that is sharing the printer via wifi, here, when I try to print the test page, playcloud crashes.

Still can't figure out the right settings for direct connection to the printer I tried a bunch of them but always fails to connect.

thank you Nicolas

Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000519.png

We need tools, not toys.
    05-30-13 05:02 AM
    Ok

So for the first, URI seems to be :
    http://192.168.0.20
    (or ipp://192.168.0.20)
    But not sure
    It seems don't support PDF - only PS

For the second, you have the right URI.
    http://192.168.0.18:631/printers/Ricoh
    Or
    ipp://192.168.0.18/printers/Ricoh
    It should work - and support PDF. What tool do you use on your computer to share the printer?

Do you have tried to print a PDF file? Instead of test page?

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 05:29 AM
    first uri won't ever connect, says fail to connect.

second uri will connect, will try do send document to printer (TestPage.pdf) but eventually will crash playcloud. I use a Mac so the printer is shared through system preferences (second uri)

We need tools, not toys.
    05-30-13 05:38 AM
    Hi

I have just published mDNS Service Discovery tool in the BlackBerry World.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    portal likes this.
    05-30-13 03:48 PM
    In trying to get this working with an older HP Laserjet, here is what I have discovered.

The device itself supports IPP, verified in the documentation. (Laserjet 4050 with JetDirect 600n card)

I can ping the printer from the device fine using the built-in BB10 ping tool.

According to HP, the ipp URL should be:
    Code:
    http://[IP address/hostname]/ipp/[optional port number]
    The optional port number is only for external print servers with multiple ports.

So for my device the correct URL should be:
    Code:
    http://[IP address]/ipp/
    I tried this, and PlayCloud appears to detect it, but I had trouble printing so I tried "ipp://" instead of "http://". PlayCloud also seems OK with this, so I went with that.

Under the printer object in settings, it lists the following detected capabilities:

text/plain, text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, application/postscript, application/vnd.hp-PCL, application/octet-stream
    However when I try to print a simple one-page PDF document, it sends a notification to the Hub saying there was a printing failure, and shows a failed print attempt in the "transfers" section of PlayCloud.

I see no indication that the printer is receiving any data during these attempts.
    05-30-13 07:19 PM
    Code:
    http://[IP address]/ipp/
    This URI is valid for IPP service.

In your mime type list, I don't see PDF support (application/pdf)

Try to print a postscript file with the extension ".ps" you can create the document from your computer.

In the next release, I'll provide print support for PDF, PS and "new" for JPEG.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 01:25 AM
    In your mime type list, I don't see PDF support (application/pdf)

Try to print a postscript file with the extension ".ps" you can create the document from your computer.

In the next release, I'll provide print support for PDF, PS and "new" for JPEG.

Well I tried something even simpler, since the Laserjet claims to support "text/plain" - I tried printing a text file. (*.txt)

PlayCloud would not print it, it showed the print option as "greyed out".

Also - what does it mean when the printer object shows in the list with a white background, as opposed to a blue background?

I notice when I press the button "Check and load settings", it re-prints the list of supported document types, and then when I select "Back" the printer object now has a blue background rather than white.

It seems the challenge of printing using a simple handheld device revolves around the lack of printer driver. Apparently in most cases you just copy the file to the device and leave it to the device to figure out what to do with it, I guess. Unless it is one of those proprietary apps built by a printer manufacturer, like Epson or HP.

Because the Laserjet obviously supports PCL, but it is probably not realistic to expect handheld devices to have PCL formatters embedded. Pity.

(Also, I thought a PDF file might print "as is" to a postscript-compatible printer, since PDF is more-or-less based on postscript. Maybe not similiiar enough. )
    05-31-13 04:36 AM
    OK, I tried to print a small sample postscript file (500kb, single page)

Same problem. Transfers page says:

Print to Laserjet 4050
    sample.ps
    Size: -
    Job has aborted due to error
    05-31-13 04:47 AM
    OK, I tried to print a small sample postscript file (500kb, single page)

Same problem. Transfers page says:
    Can you put the screen after a "check and load settings"?

For network printer with IPP support, we don't need driver. We just need to post a readable document for the printer : PDF, PS, TXT...

The printer says the format it supports. So PlayCloud just need to convert the document...

But... I can't implement a convert format tool as pdf to ps ; or doc to ps... DocToGo has to be able to export a document in the good format.
    Or use a convert format tool inline as Google drive...

Thank's

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 05:42 AM
    Can you put the screen after a "check and load settings"?

Printer info

State: Idle
    Accept job: Yes
    Document format supported:

text/plain, text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, application/postscript, application/vnd.hp-PCL, application/octet-stream (It seems to repeat again from here), text/plain, text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, application/postscript, application/vnd.hp-PCL,application/octet-stream
    05-31-13 06:08 AM
    OK

So I can enable text/plain... but not very useful

For you only postscript... I can send you a PS file.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 06:26 AM
    OK

So I can enable text/plain... but not very useful

For you only postscript... I can send you a PS file

I have a PS file I was testing with - already used an online postscript viewer to make sure the file was OK before I tested printing with it.
    05-31-13 06:38 AM
    Do you have tried mDNS - SD tool?
    Can you return me the result?

By the way
    http://[IP]/ipp
    And
    ipp://[IP]/ipp
    It isn't the same thing... first work on 80 port. second on 631.

Your error is a connection error.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 06:51 AM
    Here's the sample postscript doc I am using:

http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelco...ates/sample.ps
    05-31-13 06:51 AM
    Do you have tried mDNS - SD tool?
    Can you return me the result?

By the way
    http://[IP]/ipp
    And
    ipp://[IP]/ipp
    It isn't the same thing... first work on 80 port. second on 631.

Your error is a connection error

Tried both ipp:// and http:// -- same result.

I did not download the tool. Not a big fan of sideloading.

I did find a bunch of open-source mDNS command-line tools for Windows on sourceforge. Poorly-documented though.

SourceForge.net: mDNS Tools - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software
    mDNS Tools - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

I'm wondering if this is the one we want to use, but I just can't figure out which query to send. I keep getting 10035 socket errors:

>mdnslookup

Usage: mdnslookup [-t:Target] [-q:Question] [-r:Record Type]

Target Host to which you want to send the question.
    (Defaults to multicast address, 224.0.0.251)

Question Question to ask the target.

_workstation._tcp.local.
    _http._tcp.local.
    _telnet._tcp.local.
    _sftp-ssh._tcp.local.
    _ssh._tcp.local.
    _services._dns-sd._udp.local.

Record Type HINFO, PTR, SRV, or TXT.
    (Defaults to PTR)

Examples:

C:\>mdnslookup -t:10.234.61.133 -q:_workstation._tcp.local -r:PTR
    C:\>mdnslookup -t:10.234.63.67 -q:_http._tcp.local -r:PTR
    C:\>mdnslookup -q:_telnet._tcp.local -r:PTR

'mDNSLookup v1.0' is by GDP @ Hellfire Security

I tried the various "scan" tools, didn't detect anything on the IPP host. It did detect mDNS running on my Z10 on port 5353 though.
    05-31-13 07:37 AM
    Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000543.jpg

Finally! I was able to print through my computer!!

ipp://computer_ip:631/printers/printer_name

Note that the printer name must be the one you set on your computer (if your bridging the printing through a pc)

The crashing of Playcloud was because I had to put the same username and password I use to login into my PC at start up right into Playcloud settings page.

I'm still not able to directly connect playcloud to the printer though, but at least I can print right from Z10 now!

Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000545.png

We need tools, not toys.
    05-31-13 10:01 AM
    I notice two thongs:
    1) page's orientation doesn't work, no matter how I set it, it always print the file vertically (but this could depend from my computer settings because I'm printing through the pc connection)
    2) It would be useful an in-built "fit to printing page size" function given that some bad layered out pdf files won't be printed good.

Anyway great job Nicolas.

We need tools, not toys.
    05-31-13 10:47 AM
    It's great to have your feedback and see that you have now a solution.

For print options it's very difficult. Because the IPP server doesn't support all functions. In general only "document" itself and copies number.

By the way, on AirPrint you don't have options...

Only a real IPP server as CUPS supports all : side, margin, color, gray...

For automargin... or best fit, it's difficult too! Moreover I need to know your paper size...

For PDF, it's easy all info are in the file, the printer has to implement all features...

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:32 AM
    Nicolas,

Could you please post a link to your new tool. I can't find it in BlackBerry World.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 01:43 PM
    http://progweb.com/mdns.bar

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    portal likes this.
    05-31-13 02:06 PM
    Finally! I was able to print through my computer!!

ipp://computer_ip:631/printers/printer_name

Note that the printer name must be the one you set on your computer (if your bridging the printing through a pc)

The crashing of Playcloud was because I had to put the same username and password I use to login into my PC at start up right into Playcloud settings page.

I'm still not able to directly connect playcloud to the printer though, but at least I can print right from Z10 now!

It's curious to me why you need to explicitly specify port 631 in the URL. Did you try it without that?

I tried this to a W7-64 PC and got nowhere. Then again, my printer name has several spaces in it, and I don't have it set to share the printer. (Though I thought printer sharing on Windows was an SMB thing, not an IPP thing.)

Ultimately I don't want to depend on routing print jobs through a computer, but I thought I would just see if I could get that to work. No joy.
    05-31-13 04:47 PM
    Also - what is that "PlayCloud 10 Print Page Test" page? How do you generate that?
    05-31-13 04:49 PM
    It's curious to me why you need to explicitly specify port 631 in the URL. Did you try it without that?

I tried this to a W7-64 PC and got nowhere. Then again, my printer name has several spaces in it, and I don't have it set to share the printer. (Though I thought printer sharing on Windows was an SMB thing, not an IPP thing.)

Ultimately I don't want to depend on routing print jobs through a computer, but I thought I would just see if I could get that to work. No joy.

Yeah you're right it's a little bit "twisted"... the fact is that I'm using my computer as the server to my printer and, more important, I have the printer ipp driver installed on my computer, maybe that's why you 're not able to make it working on your pc. I didn't try without specifying port 631 inside the Uri, maybe it works too.
    The PlayCloud test page which I printed is generated by the app itself, It's a pdf file that Nicolas put inside the app; you can access it by tapping and holding on one of your printers in PlayCloud printers list and clicking "print" (see image)

Playcloud 10 - IPP Printing-img_00000548.png

Well Nicolas, let's say it straight: what do you think it would be like to interface PlayCloud with the new BlackBerry Link option available on new os 10.1 to make it possible to print over the Internet when out of office?? Wouldn't that be awesome?? Further more we now have the BlackBerry Link option inside PlayCloud!

We need tools, not toys.
    lindajm22 likes this.
    06-01-13 01:21 AM
    The PlayCloud test page which I printed is generated by the app itself, It's a pdf file that Nicolas put inside the app; you can access it by tapping and holding on one of your printers in PlayCloud printers list and clicking "print" (see image)

Hah, that's what I hate about UI's like this - all these "hidden" things. Thanks for the heads-up.

And yep, certainly didn't install any IPP driver on the Windoze box - just figured that since some of the mDNS tools I was playing around with were reporting things visible from the IP of that PC that maybe it was natively supporting that.
    06-01-13 01:35 AM
121 1234 ...