With few threads about which photo editor to choose and total mess in BlackBerry World I thought I would do a comparison of 3 native photo editors I have personally. I would appreciate (and possible not only me) if someone will do similar feature comparison for other type of apps.

each app in comparison has Free/Demo version, so you always can check it for yourself
    Photo editors, which to choose...-apps-comparison.jpg
    VOTES:
    ===========================
    PHOTO STUDIO
    blackout626

PIC SHOP

EFFETICA:
    bb10_fan, blackout626
    Last edited by bb10_fan; 01-05-14 at 05:32 AM.
    FF22 and Akuji_ism like this.
    10-27-13 05:16 AM
    Awesome! I love when I see a clean comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

*Oreo* Z10
    10-27-13 06:17 AM
    Hi op,great comparison chart.

I know photo studio does not look good on the chart,but it is worth to mention that they got frequent updates,same goes to effetica,but pic shop has not been updated for months.

Further,in term of design, photo studio is better than effetica. For example,applying filter and frame is more convenient. Plus, all of these apps have lite version.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-27-13 07:26 AM
    Hi op,great comparison chart.
    I know photo studio does not look good on the chart,but it is worth to mention that they got frequent updates,same goes to effetica,but pic shop has not been updated for months.
    Agree about updates. Also it's worth to mention that PicShop is the slowest editor among these three. My uneducated guess would be Photo Studio and Effetica both written using Cascades and PicShop Adobe Air.

Further,in term of design, photo studio is better than effetica. For example,applying filter and frame is more convenient. Plus, all of these apps have lite version. Posted via CB10
    Not sure what do you mean by this They both look very similar and follow UI guidelines for Cascades applications. Here is a screen of both:

Photo editors, which to choose...-img_00000249.jpg

There is one thing that makes it easier to find certain filter in Photo Studio - namely categories and that's something was already asked from I&N MobiSoft dev who confirmed it's coming. But comparing to Photo Studio, Effetica allows to control the strength of filter and apply it to a part of image and that's what makes it unique. To be honest, I'm quite upset with latest Photo Studio, they have numerous bugs and lack of Undo/Redo functionality - a vital feature of any photo editor.
    10-27-13 09:34 AM
    Oh, it seems Effetica Demo is still in previous version, so you won't see free rotation tilt/shift, straighten and channel mixer tools. I've written to developer to ask the reason for that
    10-27-13 09:36 AM
    Hi,

I'm sorry, that was my mistake. I just submitted Effetica Demo v1.2.0 to BlackBerry World and it should be available next week

Regarding missing features

Photo editors, which to choose...-effetica-1.3.0.jpg
    bb10_fan likes this.
    10-27-13 11:02 AM
    Hi,

I'm sorry, that was my mistake. I just submitted Effetica Demo v1.2.0 to BlackBerry World and it should be available next week

Regarding missing features

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	effetica-1.3.0.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	214768
    Ah, can't wait!
    10-27-13 11:53 AM
    @bb10_fan
    Actually I mean that effetica has placed the filter button to the side bar and we have to scroll down to get to filter tab (vertical operation.once it brings up the filters bar,it is horizontal operation. Personally I think it is not so intuitive.

For photo studio,the filter and effect buttons are just right below the image.

Oh yea,you forgot to mention that photo studio can create photo college, which many developers sell this function as a new app,like picframe.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 05:52 PM
    @bb10_fan
    Actually I mean that effetica has placed the filter button to the side bar and we have to scroll down to get to filter tab (vertical operation.once it brings up the filters bar,it is horizontal operation. Personally I think it is not so intuitive.
    Ah, that's what you meant I see. Well, there are just 3 buttons that are visible on toolbar and Effetica decided to put the most used ones. If filters is the most used tool for you, you may consider of getting a filtering app instead About intuitivity, well, that's how BlackBerry 10 works, if you cannot see something on screen it should be in side menu then.

Oh yea,you forgot to mention that photo studio can create photo college, which many developers sell this function as a new app,like picframe. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, that's indeed should be added in bonus section, I'll update the image tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning
    10-27-13 06:21 PM
    Haha,no worries buddy. I have been comparing these apps for few days now,before I bite the bullet to buy 1 of them.

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    10-27-13 06:57 PM
    Haha,no worries buddy. I have been comparing these apps for few days now,before I bite the bullet to buy 1 of them.

Posted via CB10
    Have you chosen one? If yes, can you share which one and why? I think to add in first post a table with a list of all users who've voted for certain app and link to post where he/she explaines why Thanks
    10-29-13 09:25 AM
    Nice post OP! Great idea and I'm sure many will find this useful!

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    10-29-13 10:18 AM
    It would be more useful if people actually share their experience with others Let me start then,

My choice as one could guess from signature is Effetica. Reasons are:

1) The largest number of various adjustments
    2) Possibility to select area of editing/adjustments (rectangular or elliptical with customazable transition)
    3) Possibility to change strength of applied filter/overlay
    4) Simple, but very customizable frames
    5) Constantly updated with lots of improvements and features each new version
    10-30-13 05:03 AM
    Alright, well Effetica is my first choice. Mainly because:

- I feel the UI is more efficient. It's quick, and the new version cuts down the number of steps to access functions on some of the tools. Not to mention undo/redo functions.
    - the the amount of adjustments you can make on effects applied are staggering. From area size, shape, density/amount and more, you can even make step by step adjustments by clicking on either far ends of the adjustment slider bars.
    - more functions and features than others.
    - the developer is super responsive. No joke. They consider all requests and try tomorrow implement them the best way they can.

Coming in second is photo studio pro. Some things I think that they excel at are:

- not only do they have a larger number of filters, I feel that they have a far wider range of "looks" and for whatever reason, they seem to end up looking slightly better.
    - they release new (and free) filter/effect packs the user can download.
    - have graphical frames/borders.
    - picframes/collage function.

I use Effetica 90% of the time as it really serves me best, but in the odd occasion that I need something else... a specific filter or something, I run photo studio pro.

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    10-30-13 10:37 AM
    Alright, well Effetica is my first choice. Mainly because:

- I feel the UI is more efficient. It's quick, and the new version cuts down the number of steps to access functions on some of the tools. Not to mention undo/redo functions.
    - the the amount of adjustments you can make on effects applied are staggering. From area size, shape, density/amount and more, you can even make step by step adjustments by clicking on either far ends of the adjustment slider bars.
    - more functions and features than others.
    - the developer is super responsive. No joke. They consider all requests and try tomorrow implement them the best way they can.

Coming in second is photo studio pro. Some things I think that they excel at are:

- not only do they have a larger number of filters, I feel that they have a far wider range of "looks" and for whatever reason, they seem to end up looking slightly better.
    - they release new (and free) filter/effect packs the user can download.
    - have graphical frames/borders.
    - picframes/collage function.

I use Effetica 90% of the time as it really serves me best, but in the odd occasion that I need something else... a specific filter or something, I run photo studio pro.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks a lot for sharing with detailed reasons behind your choice
    10-30-13 01:00 PM
    First post was updated to reflect latest changes in all apps
    FF22 and inmobisoft like this.
    01-05-14 05:33 AM
    Effetica v1.3.2 with Blender and Pad tools is now available for download
    bb10_fan likes this.
    01-09-14 09:39 AM