Some apps have a large repository of data loaded into the Device System area. Uninstalling the app usually takes everything with it and frees up the space, app + data.

However, is it possible that some of this data is left behind, orphaned,after the app itself was uninstalled?

If so, how can one find these orphans and free up additional space easily?

Thank you in advance CB community for your helpful assistance!
    02-17-14 08:13 PM

However, is it possible that some of this data is left behind, orphaned,after the app itself was uninstalled?

If so, how can one find these orphans and free up additional space easily?

Thank you in advance CB community for your helpful assistance!
    Entirely possible and in fact, it happens all the time.

You can try different file managers to delete apps but I've never really found any that do a great job with it. Generally, I just wipe my OS every 2-4 mnths and blow out all the crap that builds up.
    02-17-14 09:27 PM
    Entirely possible and in fact, it happens all the time.

You can try different file managers to delete apps but I've never really found any that do a great job with it. Generally, I just wipe my OS every 2-4 mnths and blow out all the crap that builds up.
    Thank you Bla1ze.

That is the quickest thing to do and probably the most effective. However, I am a customizing junky...or beast if you prefer. It is a pain in the neck getting things back to the way they were after a complete wipe and no restore.

I'm looking at a couple of file managers that will help me poke around, but obviously there is some risk involved with arbitrarily removing files.

So I hope to avoid a trial-and-error approach and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

(Don't worry, I made a backup).
    02-17-14 09:34 PM
    coffee-turtle:

Let us know what you discover. The hidden and/or locked away secrets/remnants can make a mess of things.
    02-18-14 12:24 AM
    I use File Manager to locate and delete those orphaned files. The data are usually in the paths Device/misc/android, Device/misc/android/Android/data, and Device/misc/android/Android/obb.
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    02-18-14 12:36 AM
    I use File Manager to locate and delete those orphaned files. The data are usually in the paths Device/misc/android, Device/misc/android/Android/data, and Device/misc/android/Android/obb.
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Thank you eywong. I use those same paths on my Android tablet. I checked here because a couple of those apps I deleted were Android apps. However, I'm still hunting for any remnants of my previous BB apps. My Device System graph of used space seems a little inflated...maybe the numbers aren't jiving.

The Hunt continues. @F2 - I will post any progress. I'm also hoping others like eywong can add some additional insights.
    02-18-14 11:36 AM
    The story so far...

What appeared to happen is that in the installation of a rather large program and then it's deletion a lot of space was taken up and not all of it was removed from System storage. (There were a couple of programs that when you install them from BB World, they continue download and unpack additional files for the game's/program's enhancement, like the EA Real Racing).

I compounded the problem by later reinstalling these type of programs and games giving them another spin. I think in my case something may have went wrong as space was gobbled up pretty quickly. Desperately, I also deleted all of my email and text messages thinking maybe I had tons of large attachments or something. Only a small dent was made by removing old messages. I was at 10GB of system storage being used! Sadly, it seems impossible to get into the nooks and crannies and manually clean house. Solution?

The dreaded Security Wipe

This time, though, I did a custom backup of just my settings (no mail, no application data). This was about 7MB. The Application Data backup would have been 10GB alone! Yes, I install a lot of stuff, but the app section of the wheel chart was only a couple of GB! So the red zone of System Storage part of the wheel chart was like Dark Matter. It was out there somewhere affecting space, but I couldn't directly see it!

Wiped my device, finish the setup and then restored my "settings" from that 7MB backup.

All of my wi-fi connections, perfect! All of my email accounts, all there (just needed to do password verification)! My other HUB accounts came over as well! Although, not everything regarding my "folders" and icon positions were restored nor my Quick Settings pull down, but all of the major headaches were pretty much taken care of. The only thing I have installed so far was Password Keeper, which was completely re-populated! So was it worth it?

Yes! My Q10 is fresh again! That 10GB System Storage area (the red section on the pie chart went down from 10 stubborn GB to 1.67GB! Yes, I do have to install my other essential apps still, but I'm going to be more judicious about it. When I get everything to where it should be, I'll make a pristine backup as a goto if I have to do another wipe and want to have my essential apps back in the process.

So we didn't find a way to get into the nooks and crannies of system restore to manually remove junk left behind by other apps during some uninstalls, but a security wipe is a complete way to get your Device humming again and the setup pains are lessened if you have a backup of just your Settings.

We'll still keep hunting for a better solution, but this was the best way for me to go.

A friend from Costa Rica, crumbonthefloor, gave some nice links to get a 32GB card. We'll even look at just a couple of the free EA games! All EA titles free in BlackBerry World through February 28th | CrackBerry.com

Thanks for all the input by the CBers!
    FF22 likes this.
    02-22-14 03:38 PM
    Thanks for the followup. Too bad that it appears that the best way to clean house is by demolishing it and starting over. Well, you had the Settings-Foundation saved.
    02-22-14 06:21 PM
    Thanks for the followup. Too bad that it appears that the best way to clean house is by demolishing it and starting over. Well, you had the Settings-Foundation saved.
    You're welcome. Yeah, now the most efficient way to clean a house! Maybe a developer will see this thread and work on putting out a file manager than help us?

Enjoy!
    02-22-14 10:24 PM
    Device setup complete.
    Main daily apps installed.
    Customizations complete.
    MASTER Backup made. This will give me a new starting point with almost all of the work done when I have to perform a Security Wipe.
    System Storage = 1.79GB/Apps=541MB total;User Files=1MB;Free=10.86GB
    FF22 likes this.
    02-23-14 01:21 PM