It could be that your device is struggling to lock on to a GPS signal? Is it a cloudy/overcast day? Are you amongst tall buildings that may prevent the GPS from receiving a location?

BlackBerry maps has been rock solid for me.
    I have no problem with gps, it's just the bb maps that has limited establishments registered in my area

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 09:57 PM
    If you say so. The problem is non existent on iOS/google maps/ waze etc

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    Waze has its own issues. The search is better than BlackBerry maps but the guidance on it not so good in some cases. In my experience.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-23-14 10:15 PM
    I have no problem with gps, it's just the bb maps that has limited establishments registered in my area

Posted via CB10
    Four Square has the ability to suggest edits for a lot of things including addresses. If you can find the correct address for a few key items around you from BB Maps and then insert that address as a suggested edit into Four Square, it might help with other major attractions.
    Korr Valmoria likes this.
    02-23-14 10:18 PM
    I use both BlackBerry Maps almost every day and it has been very good. Mireo is also good but I couldn't cut and paste and that's a big inconvenience.

? CB10 ?
    02-23-14 10:21 PM
    It is really only good with an address. It doesn't do well with searching for a location.
    this is my experience as well... navigation & directions are fine, but....

BB Maps regularly returns outdated results when searching for places... like it'll show me a restaurant but when i call, the # doesn't even belong to them anymore...

it's to the point where I feel it's unreliable and I'd rather go to the individual company's website and check their location...
    02-23-14 10:30 PM
    I just checked mine, and it finds everything I type in. BTW, it just did an update, yesterday.
    02-23-14 10:47 PM
    Four Square has the ability to suggest edits for a lot of things including addresses. If you can find the correct address for a few key items around you from BB Maps and then insert that address as a suggested edit into Four Square, it might help with other major attractions.
    I tried but does not work. Why does not foursquare just gives the coordinates instead of address to bbmaps since it is using openmaps?

Bbmaps is working fine with the street in my area but there's a lot of establishments/places that are not on bbmaps in my city. I wonder if I can add places in my area and can be viewed by all other BlackBerry users here.
    [Opinion] BlackBerry Maps is Worthless-img_20140224_111740.png

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 11:11 PM
    this is my experience as well... navigation & directions are fine, but....

BB Maps regularly returns outdated results when searching for places... like it'll show me a restaurant but when i call, the # doesn't even belong to them anymore...

it's to the point where I feel it's unreliable and I'd rather go to the individual company's website and check their location...
    One of the benefits of crowd sourcing, such as using google maps, is that you can have stuff up to date if someone does the work for you.
    Lots of stuff in the past used to be centralized work and then sold. E.g. Someone maps a city and then sells the map.
    Now, someone tells everyone to update the map so everyone can benefit, while this person sells the map. (In this case, Google)
    That is why Google is so profitable. They put lots of money to create the right catalysts for things to take off. And when they do, they can profit.
    02-23-14 11:14 PM
    bb maps not good at all and ,,im using ( waze ) its even better than google maps plus its a social gps u can know whats happen on the road and alerts of controles and etc..u will love it ,,,,give it a try
    02-24-14 05:03 AM
    One of the benefits of crowd sourcing, such as using google maps, is that you can have stuff up to date if someone does the work for you.
    Lots of stuff in the past used to be centralized work and then sold. E.g. Someone maps a city and then sells the map.
    Now, someone tells everyone to update the map so everyone can benefit, while this person sells the map. (In this case, Google)
    That is why Google is so profitable. They put lots of money to create the right catalysts for things to take off. And when they do, they can profit.
    TomTom does ask users for updates too - used by BB Mpas. From TomTom's Website:

Map Share™ Reporter is used by TomTom. Roads change by up to 15% every year. To ensure the best navigation experience, TomTom does everything in its power to create the best maps. Your reports help us to detect changes in your area and keep future versions of our maps as accurate as possible.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-24-14 05:16 AM
    bb maps not good at all and ,,im using ( waze ) its even better than google maps plus its a social gps u can know whats happen on the road and alerts of controles and etc..u will love it ,,,,give it a try
    Can you integrate Waze with your contacts, or meeting locations from Outlook so that with a tap of a finger it takes you to your location?
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-24-14 05:19 AM
    Waze has its own issues. The search is better than BlackBerry maps but the guidance on it not so good in some cases. In my experience.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Same here. I have a general rant about GPS software (on any devices I've tried) in that I find the results vary tremendously depending on where you are. Very handy and a time saver when it works, but often not very good in certain areas. For example, my Garmin once thought I was driving in the middle of the ocean and my Apple Maps once directed me to go down a dead end, then turn around. There seem to be a lot of potential failpoints (map updates in certain regions) vs. signal issues vs. natural warnings that cause them to be handy but beware of being dependent on them.

As for Maps, I find it works well enough in Toronto. I wouldn't trust it in the same places that caused Apple Maps or Garmin issues above. I also wish it would be expanded so that it gives walking directions and public transition directions, since I use that more and more lately in downtown Toronto.

Actually - what I really wish is that Google Maps would release a BlackBerry 10 app ...
    02-24-14 10:25 AM
    I'm in PA searching for an address that's only 8 mins away and search results are giving me addresses from new York over 3 hours away.

Is there a way to change the settings on this crappy contraption? Why is it saying searching for locations near map centre???!! Worthless

Posted via CB10
    Hey OP,

I use bbmaps on a daily basis, I think it gets used to your traveling habits, most times its very accurate, I'll have issues if the address is spelt wrong or something like: if I enter Main St, but its actually Main Rd. Then it will be all over the place.

To be honest, I thought BB Traffic was fantastic, whish they bring that back.
    02-24-14 10:25 AM
    To be honest, I thought BB Traffic was fantastic, whish they bring that back.
    Me too. I thought it looked like a cheap DOS app, but always found it to be exceptional at detecting traffic snarls (very common in Toronto) and navigating you around them where it could.
    02-24-14 10:34 AM
    I find the BB Maps a very useful tool. I have had updated traffic accident notification in the City of Calgary on numerous occasions, which to my surprise they actually happened. Telling me to stay right, obstruction ahead. Sure enough, left lane closed with police on scene. I've used it exclusively to get around southern California, again with updated info and very acruate addressing informaiton. I thinking of getting rid of my Garmin GPS.

OP, sorry for your problems.
    02-24-14 03:31 PM
    Can you integrate Waze with your contacts, or meeting locations from Outlook so that with a tap of a finger it takes you to your location?
    U can integrate it with Facebook contacts plus u can find useres on same road and add them too..

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 03:48 PM
    Works great for me in Toronto, usually I will type in an address, and it will give me several options, I pick the one I need and go. Also works flawlessly in telling me of approaching traffic congestion and collisions.
    02-24-14 05:34 PM
    I use BlackBerry Maps all the time, I stopped using my iphone for directions because the updates/ refresh were coming in so late.
    I'd be past an exit when it would tell me to take it.

The only issue I've seen with BlackBerry Maps is after setting course and into the drive, at times BlackBerry Maps will give me an alternative route.

I've noticed this because there is a competition I have to attend a couple times a month at a location that I haven't quite committed to memory yet, and BlackBerry Maps treis to take me a different route each time. I have it set for 'simplest' route.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:59 PM
    BB Maps works great for me in Southern California! Most of the time when I'm looking for a place to go to I don't even have to type the address, just type the business name and it'll show me the result quickly and take me there accurately. The traffic alerts were always shown in a timely manner to give time to adjust to it or take a different route. I also used it when I was around the Toronto area and didn't have any issues. Sorry OP doesn't have a better time with them, I have been using them way more than Google Maps and only touch my Magellan GPS when I don't want to use data.
    02-25-14 01:46 AM
    Look guys, I used Nokia Maps for a long time. They are accurate, cached, offline and fast. And vector based.
    BlackBerry Maps is none of that. Why is this division so neglected?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:03 AM
    I'm in PA searching for an address that's only 8 mins away and search results are giving me addresses from new York over 3 hours away.

Is there a way to change the settings on this crappy contraption? Why is it saying searching for locations near map centre???!! Worthless

Posted via CB10
    When i have had trouble with bb maps finding the exact address, i look for the city on the map, zoom in and hold my finger on the location for about 2 seconds and a gps location should pop up with a little triangle, click the triangle, then it routes to that location. I agree with it being annoying, but i really like the look of the turn by turn and the way you can flip back and forth within this application.

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2102
    02-25-14 05:25 AM
121 ... 345