Check out his post on his website

http://www.openwhatsapp.org/

Dear Blackberry,

Before you decided that OpenWhatsapp violates WhatsApp's terms and that you could not accept it in App World, have you been fully aware that YOU are the ones who got me started on this project? You are the ones who convinced me to port this application to BB10. You are the ones who explicitly proposed and provided me with internal support from your OWN developers to get my port ready ASAP. You are the ones who sent me a Dev Alpha even when I explicity and CLEARLY stated and described what app I am working on. I understand this was back at a time when WhatsApp decided to ditch your platform. But throwing away my work upon a request of WhatsApp was just a cheap shot!

Do you think it's cool to get a developer work on a DAMN app for several months, and then just throw it away in the end?! Do you realize how hard it is to deliver an app that is as polished as OpenWhatsapp?! I understand how NOW you are trying to keep friends with WhatsApp and all that, but do you think this is the appropriate way to treat developers who "really" believed in your platform ?! Or was I just being used?.

And I'm sorry, your limited edition device is not enough "compensation" for my work which again, YOU STARTED, and now simply threw away. I don't want anything that reminds me of this betrayal.

Worst Wishes,
    Tarek
    OpenWhatsapp Developer

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by schmeat; 03-25-13 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added quote block
    Etios, swishhh, antiRIM and 6 others like this.
    03-25-13 06:45 AM
    He's angry and bitter, but what did he expect!?!?

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-13 06:51 AM

Doubt he expected that WhatsApp will be joining the platform. Once BlackBerry knew about it, they should have talked to the dev directly, throwing it out of App World without speaking with the dev first is not a good sign. I hope that Alec or Alex sees this, and can reach out and talk to him.
    03-25-13 06:53 AM
    I wonder exactly what the violation was.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:10 AM
    Doubt he expected that WhatsApp will be joining the platform. Once BlackBerry knew about it, they should have talked to the dev directly, throwing it out of App World without speaking with the dev first is not a good sign. I hope that Alec or Alex sees this, and can reach out and talk to him.
    Keep in mind that we're hearing one side of the story.

03-25-13 07:16 AM
    I wonder exactly what the violation was.

Posted via CB10
    Just a guess, but taking someone's app, porting it and then trying to upload it to BlackBerry app world.
    03-25-13 07:18 AM
    Still a piracy issue.Not sure it was gonna make into the store.I think they should compensate with some cash.This is pretty poor from BB side Mr Saunders needs to sort this mess out.Checking out the UI now looks pretty BBM ish.But still time effort and them contacting him to start the project and hen abondaning Is poor i would be pissed too.Someone tweet saunders this is poor.
    J2d2 likes this.
    03-25-13 07:21 AM
    BlackBerry should pay him for the work. They clearly could have used his work as leverage against WhatsApp. He should be compensated. I'm going to see if I can send him some money: [email protected]
    03-25-13 07:23 AM
    I would feel the same way. I'll tweet Saunders the rant in hopes that he could make things right somehow.
    03-25-13 07:31 AM

Did you even READ the damn article?!
    He says he was encouraged at every step of the way by BB...only to be casually tossed under the bus after months of work when Whatsapp beckoned at BB.
    03-25-13 07:32 AM
    Just a guess, but taking someone's app, porting it and then trying to upload it to BlackBerry app world.
    There is no "porting someone's app" clause in the BW Terms of agreement.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:34 AM
    Is WhatsApp even open source? I doubt that it is... It's terrible that this has happened, but I am not surprised that it did. If anything, could the dev have done something as simple as just naming the app something else and releasing it on the various platforms?
    03-25-13 07:38 AM
    Is WhatsApp even open source? I doubt that it is... It's terrible that this has happened, but I am not surprised that it did. If anything, could the dev have done something as simple as just naming the app something else and releasing it on the various platforms?
    It's not another App, it's a copy of whatsapp. it access to their servers and user base.

Let's see:

He makes an app that uses another dev servers, and users, because, by his own words, BlackBerry told him to bring the app to the platform
    Then the real owner of these "servers" and "users" brings his own app to the platform, see this "copy" of his work and request BlackBerry to remove it, and they do it.

I don't know, I hate whatsapp, just as much as my fianc�e does, so I rarely use it, but in this case what could BlackBerry do? I mean his app, being better than the original is irrelevant in this case, is just a copy of another one, and above everything else, it does not only copy the functionality, but it gets access to Whatsapp user base, which I think will totally p1ss off Whatsapp.

Too bad for him, really he deserved better, but... It was just a matter of time.

(this is what i posted in that other thread about this.)
    03-25-13 07:41 AM
    It's not another App, it's a copy of whatsapp. it access to their servers and user base.
    Didn't even think about that part. Thanks for the insight.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    03-25-13 07:45 AM
    whatsapp uses an open standard XMPP. But it's a bit customized if anything. I would think it still falls under XMPP licensing.

This would mean someone else can emulate it without a problem. Again, I'm amusing by it's open standard license.
    03-25-13 07:46 AM
    This is his side of the story.
    jesse_h, Spawn12 and NightSlayer like this.
    03-25-13 07:49 AM
    This is not a case of software piracy as it seems like the open source code was written from scratch. It is unlikely the BlackBerry staff woke up one day and said "this is wrong" and shut the app down.

The app was probably shut down because of either a copyright infringement claim from WhatsApp or WhatsApp made some other claim saying the app unlawfully used services. If there is merit to a claim like this, BlackBerry has no choice but to remove the application or they could potentially face legal ramifications themselves.

BlackBerry can't have 500 lawyers vetting every application submission for legal violations, so I don't see why BlackBerry is in fault.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 07:53 AM
    He says he was encouraged at every step of the way by BB...only to be casually tossed under the bus after months of work when Whatsapp beckoned at BB.
    Yes I read the article, and i heard HIS side of the story.

seacan2 likes this.
    03-25-13 07:56 AM
    This is a totally wrong guess, in every conceivable way. He's a legitimate, serious, and highly competent developer. He didn't copy anything. This is not about piracy.

He wrote the thing himself, and even published the source. He built on and customized my BlackBerry-Py stuff and I can assure you that Whatsapp themselves are not using anything remotely like that.

I assume there's some sort of API-related issue here, possibly a matter of licensing or terms of use preventing third-party apps from accessing servers, or some such. I'm only speculating about that.

It's a sorry situation, to be sure, though it's unclear to me exactly where blame should go. Certainly dumping everything on BlackBerry is unlikely a completely fair assessment, though I've far too little information to make a judgement for myself yet.
    seacan2, Clinto, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    03-25-13 07:57 AM
    This is his side of the story.
    I wish everyone else would realize this!

seacan2 likes this.
    03-25-13 07:58 AM
    This is not a case of software piracy as it seems like the open source code was written from scratch. It is unlikely the BlackBerry staff woke up one day and said "this is wrong" and shut the app down.

The app was probably shut down because of either a copyright infringement claim from WhatsApp or WhatsApp made some other claim saying the app unlawfully used services. If there is merit to a claim like this, BlackBerry has no choice but to remove the application or they could potentially face legal ramifications themselves.

BlackBerry can't have 500 lawyers vetting every application submission for legal violations, so I don't see why BlackBerry is in fault.

Posted via CB10
    Because they encouraged bringing the app over in the first place. Did you even read the article?
    03-25-13 08:00 AM
    Wow. Good job BlackBerry. Toss a developer under the bus when you need other developers. Can't wait until this gets out.
    03-25-13 08:00 AM
    There's lots of 3rd party twitter apps that use twitter's servers and user base.
    D.Vader and Zakaria Ridouh like this.
    03-25-13 08:01 AM
    If WhatsApp decide not to come to BB10 and just said BlackBerry needs to remove OPEN WhatsApp from App world due to reverse engineering violation. what would BB do? the same exact thing. It is not really BlackBerry's call if OPENWhatsApp violates software laws.

I am using OPENWhatsApp over WhatsApp - FYI.
    Just saying though.
    03-25-13 08:01 AM
    It's a tough one IMHO cause BlackBerry did encourage the developer to bring the app to BB10.

But then again, BlackBerry encouraged all these Android stolen ports that have appeared with their $100 reward per app. I can only assume that if the copyright owners find these apps and complain BlackBerry will remove them from the app store just as quickly.

It would be nice to hear the other side of the story and find out if this was a sudden decision or did BlackBerry reach out to the developer and let him her know this was coming?

I feel bad for the programmer cause they did indeed step up to support BlackBerry but then again I do see What's App's point of view.

We as an app ecosystem need support from the big "Name brand " developers so I think this issue is doomed for Open What's App. Unfortunately.

Posted from my Z10 in the CB10 app
    ssjakss likes this.
    03-25-13 08:03 AM
189 123 ...