Hi all,

I am hoping for some thoughts and possible help narrowing down a problem.

So, last year i cut my cable and decided to go with nhl gamecenter. I ended up using my blackberry playbook and the simple browser app to watch the games. I hooked this up to my tv via hdmi. It worked great other than having to tap the game i wanted to watch a bunch of times to get it to open. It streamed with great quality and no real issues. I also streamed on my z10 without issue in the native browser.

Fast forward to today. I can launch the games fine but it only plays 5-10 seconds and then stalls completely. It isnt buffering as it never resumes. This is consistent on the playbook and my z10. I have used every browser i can find (all connected through wifi with a 20mb connection). It plays fine from a different webpage (pirated stream) or my PC so it isnt the connection.

My next thought was to use the bb10 nhl gamecenter app. The video quality is terrible and pixelated and not watchable on a 46 inch tv.

I have a question and a testing request for anyone with a bb10 device and/or a playbook and an nhl gamecenter subscription.

Question: do you experience the same pixelated video when streaming nhl games with the gamecenter app using wifi?

Testing request: can you please go to the nhl gamecenter webpage with the bb10 browser and see if you are able to watch a game or if it works for 5-10 seconds and then stalls and never resumes?

Thanks for any assistance!

Chris
    10-09-13 10:13 PM
    Can't even watch. It says it us not availBle.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:16 PM
    Going to the browser I have to pay. Sorry, looks like either using the browser or the app I would need to pay. Do you have a subscription?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:18 PM
    Hi Kyle,

Thanks for testing for me, i appreciate the help. I do have a paid subscription. I did indicate this in my post but granted it is a long post and easy to miss

Cheers,

Chris
    10-10-13 06:15 AM
    Hi Chris, i do have the same problem with my playbook (os). I am able to start every game. After a few seconds every game stalls. I don't have the problems when watching with PC or ps3. It also has worked fine in the past. It's very annoying since i do have the latest update on my playbook und i also tried to fix it by deleting Cache etc. I also was looking if there is a update for Adobe Flash player for playbook. Obviously there is no Flash Player update since i was told that i have the latest...really really annoying.
    10-10-13 04:19 PM
    thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one. Anyone have an iphone or android device they could try with (in the browser)? I wonder if it could be specific to all mobile platforms.
    10-11-13 04:30 PM
    What you could try is to sideload the android version of the NHL GameCenter app, I have it sideloaded but don't have a subscription, I simply just check some highlights on it, its clear and the quality is really nice, I just don't know if games would work properly but I'm sure there would be no problems.
    10-11-13 04:44 PM
    Why side load it when there is a native version?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 08:52 PM
    Why side load it when there is a native version?

Posted via CB10
    for playbook?... please read -_-
    10-12-13 02:44 PM
    I just had the exact same problem: the game would play for a couple seconds and then freeze. This is on the PlayBook. I have an active subscription. My z10 played the game fine but I wonder why the PlayBook worked fine last year but doesn't work at all this year.
    10-12-13 07:05 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Gamecenter worked fine, beautifully even, last year, now like everyone else it plays for a few seconds then freezes. My Q10 and PS3 work fine. Going to side load the app or see if I can't flip back to the previous PB Os version.
    10-13-13 04:37 PM
    Reading this I'm glad I didn't renew my subscription as I watched games for the most part via PlayBook last season, too.
    Have you tried using different user agents in SimpleBrowser or OrigamiBrowser?
    10-13-13 05:22 PM
    for playbook?... please read -_-
    Please read what exactly, smart ***?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 05:30 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Gamecenter worked fine, beautifully even, last year, now like everyone else it plays for a few seconds then freezes. My Q10 and PS3 work fine. Going to side load the app or see if I can't flip back to the previous PB Os version.
    Any results yet?
    10-15-13 02:47 PM
    Not sure if this an option, but I bought a $65 Sony Bluray player that has a built in NHL Game Centre app. I bought it for a friend so I only tested it briefly, I use my Xbox for GCL.

Crazy how relatively inexpensive they are now and avoids a ton of fussing around.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 10:18 PM
    Same issue here.

BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook browsers, both screwed by whatever they did on the server side.

The GameCenter app works fine on BlackBerry 10, you just have to let it play a few seconds before video quality adjusts.

For the Flash version of GCL, I contacted them via email and instant chat days, almost a week ago. They're no help.

I suggest some of you to give them a call. The number is in the help section.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:57 PM
    for some reason I can't watch the recap video of the games, I'm sure I was able to do that last year...they changed that option? I guess you have to pay now....damn!
    10-17-13 10:16 PM
    So, looks like the last PlayBook update contained a flash update. I expect this is causing the issue. I'm going to downgrade and test
    EauRouge likes this.
    10-21-13 05:12 PM
    sigh......failure
    10-22-13 04:28 PM
    sigh......failure
    GCL probably changed something. Anybody managed to get to their support?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:10 PM
    For those with the GCL BlackBerry 10 app, something has happened to the adjustable quality of the stream. A stream would start in lo-res but after a few seconds the good quality stream would pop up. After 10.2 it is not happening any more. I noticed the same behavior with another couple of apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 09:22 AM
    My Z10 also isn't upping the NHL Gamecenter quality, unlike its pre-10.2 behaviour....I wonder if there's a setting somewhere or if this is some oversight. You would think the latest NHL Gamecenter App update would have dealt with the impending release of 10.2 and allowing hi-def. The lower resolution stream really does look bad when blown up to 42 inches.
    10-26-13 02:09 PM
    I have the same problem...it looks bad on 4.2 inches, never mind 42!
    10-27-13 10:11 PM
    I've sent three emails to support with no reply, thought the last one is only several hours old. If this doesn't get cleared up soon, I'm going to try to get my money back. After all, there are a million crappy quality streams of hockey out there for free.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 06:11 PM
    I had a response yesterday. It was uninstalling the app, restart, then reinstall.

This made no difference for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:50 AM
42 12