A new device is launching on kickstarter today that allows any smartphone to be easily converted into a laptop, great for note taking and boasts up to 30 hours of battery life. Our phones change from time to time so this is a good alternative to upgrading your laptop as the specs of the device are dependent on your phone.

It's a universally compatible device and he has confirmed that it will work on for BB10.

Full description here: http://casetop.ca/

The kickstarter goes live at 2pm MST today but you can check out the device here: Casetop - Every Phone Becomes a Laptop

The inventor is a personal friend of mine and I'd appreciate it if you good lads and gals could take a peek.

Cheers!
    Affie36, Vorkosigan and Mecca EL like this.
    05-03-13 10:26 AM
    WOW! Cool idea, but $250.00? That's a lot of money.
    Best of luck, it looks super interesting!
    05-03-13 10:36 AM
    Nice it willbe great to have this at the office, because i prefer working on my phone!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 11:01 AM
    I love this post!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 11:26 AM
    Neat concept.. Two problems though.. 1) cost.. This is a $199 max product, $250 is too much unless you can pack a 1080p screen in there day 1.. 2) the location of the phone is problematic.. If you hunt and peck type, it might be OK, but touch typists will want to rest their wrist right on top of the phone.. The design needs to be flipped so that the phone goes above the keyboard so it won't interfere with typing..

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:06 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 12:43 PM
    ...moved to the correct section.
    05-04-13 07:49 PM
    2) the location of the phone is problematic.. If you hunt and peck type, it might be OK, but touch typists will want to rest their wrist right on top of the phone.. The design needs to be flipped so that the phone goes above the keyboard so it won't interfere with typing..
    I agree, or maybe on the side better. But the biggest design flaw I ser is that the phone sits on the table below, I do not see anything below to support it, what if you want to get up and go to another room or use it while waking, or on my lap, I use my net book like that all the time, isn't mobility the main idea of a laptop/netbook?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 08:05 PM
    Hey I am no rocket scientist and maybe I am reading just between the lines.. but isn't this what Thor has been talking about for some time? Mobile computing? Using your phone as your personal computer that you can hook up to a screen and keyboard at work or home???
    05-04-13 08:15 PM
    Does this just put your mobile screen on a laptop screen instead or does it run a different operating system when docked?
    05-04-13 11:58 PM
    There was a Motorola(??) Android phone that plugged into a Laptop form factor dock which turned out to be a flop, mainly because performance was lackluster, but the dock was also overpriced as well, which didn't help..

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:31 AM
    WOW! Cool idea, but $250.00? That's a lot of money.
    Best of luck, it looks super interesting!
    Wow, I've seen laptops as low as that!
    05-05-13 01:46 AM
    There was a Motorola(??) Android phone that plugged into a Laptop form factor dock which turned out to be a flop, mainly because performance was lackluster, but the dock was also overpriced as well, which didn't help..

Posted via CB10
    There were actually several of them. Atrix line, Photon/Electrify, and a couple of others. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea, but was flawed in execution.
    05-05-13 01:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    One of the big flaws was that AT&T was charging a tethering fee for the laptop dock, even though it used the device's processor. So not only did you have to pay for the device, to use it, you had to pay an additional monthly fee

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:54 PM
    Did anyone pre-order this? I'm tempted but it doesn't ship until Feb 14' plus there's that rumor about a BB netbook style thing too
    08-21-13 09:29 AM