I called Netflix in order to see if they had plans to support blackberry...
    Q: im a current customer of Netflix and concerned if Netflix will support blackberry 10?

Answer from rep :you are actually calling to the Netflix based in Canada so I don't know really know what the US base has planed ...but I can assure you that the research team is looking into it ...ultimately it is not up to us(Netflix) but it is up to blackberry to agree to a contract much like android and IOS....many people call asking the same very question you asked and Netflix is looking into it with blackberry that's for certain ...a confirmed date I cannot promise you though.
    12-31-12 09:56 AM
    "Ultimately it's not up to us..."
    Who are they trying to fool?
    nquyen likes this.
    12-31-12 10:15 AM
    ...ultimately it is not up to us(Netflix) but it is up to blackberry to agree to a contract much like android and IOS....
    Hmmmmm....I agree with sk8er_tor, this is skeptical - however; this could be very much the case.

Im no app dev guru, so I dont know for sure, but it makes sense for a service provider such as Netflix to acquire another stream of revenue. In this case, "we'll make an app, but you have to pay us". Very smart by Netflix...again if this is the case. Now that I think about it, this could b a similar case with apps such as Skype and WhatsApp. Companies are starting to say...pay me.

1. Netflix/Skype: "The app is free, but the dev and maintenance hours aren't...pay me".
    2. Netflix/Skype: "We provide a popular service that our website is capable of delivering, we dont need you or any mobile device to be relevant, you need us...pay me."

Something to think about.
    RubberChicken76 and robkd like this.
    12-31-12 10:32 AM
    Not sure what to believe at this point
    12-31-12 11:19 AM
    I can't see that being the case with a paid service. They would want to do it to keep as many customers happy and or get new ones. I don't think anyone is paying them for their app.

James
    12-31-12 12:55 PM
    Hmmmmm....I agree with sk8er_tor, this is skeptical - however; this could be very much the case.

Im no app dev guru, so I dont know for sure, but it makes sense for a service provider such as Netflix to acquire another stream of revenue. In this case, "we'll make an app, but you have to pay us". Very smart by Netflix...again if this is the case. Now that I think about it, this could b a similar case with apps such as Skype and WhatsApp. Companies are starting to say...pay me.

1. Netflix/Skype: "The app is free, but the dev and maintenance hours aren't...pay me".
    2. Netflix/Skype: "We provide a popular service that our website is capable of delivering, we dont need you or any mobile device to be relevant, you need us...pay me."

Something to think about.
    Maybe RIM should charge them "rent". When a store opens in a mall they don't say "we bring customers to the mall and we need to pay our workers, so pay us to be here"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 01:16 PM
    I can see Netflix being one of the major apps being announced on Jan 30th. With what OP's email, the @BlackBerryScoop guy, I mean, all this effort only to end up with no app is a little too much, don't you think? Besides, you would think RIM would have learnt their lesson now and throw a couple of bags towards the developers.
    12-31-12 02:36 PM
    I can see Netflix being one of the major apps being announced on Jan 30th. With what OP's email, the @BlackBerryScoop guy, I mean, all this effort only to end up with no app is a little too much, don't you think? Besides, you would think RIM would have learnt their lesson now and throw a couple of bags towards the developers.
    RIM is throwing everything they can at developers right now, they certainly know they need apps. That's why we have Android Player, the $10,000 commitment, Port-a-Thon's, etc. But there are certain developers which are only attracted by one thing - a good user base that will be willing to pay for their apps. If it really is up to RIM to agree on a contract with Netflix, then I have no doubt that RIM will have already agreed on one by now - but I'm skeptical about what this rep said. Just 30 days to go before we find out!
    12-31-12 04:37 PM
    H
    Here's a #3

We make our money selling subscriptions. The more subscriptions we sell, the more money we make. Will having Netflix on a BlackBerry actually increase our # of subscriptions or will it simply increase our delivery costs, customer service costs and development costs by giving users who are already subscribers another place to watch Netflix? Pay us to develop the app, handle the increased bandwidth costs and the costs to support the app.
    12-31-12 05:56 PM
    Here's a #3

We make our money selling subscriptions. The more subscriptions we sell, the more money we make. Will having Netflix on a BlackBerry actually increase our # of subscriptions or will it simply increase our delivery costs, customer service costs and development costs by giving users who are already subscribers another place to watch Netflix? Pay us to develop the app, handle the increased bandwidth costs and the costs to support the app.

Bingo.
    12-31-12 06:39 PM
    They lost my business when they refused to support the Playbook. If they support BB10 I might reconsider coming back but to be honest I was considering dropping them anyways because the content is not there.
    12-31-12 06:43 PM
    Here's a #3

Exaaaaactly.

I know apps are the deal breakers for consumer buying but, its more than just a developer or a company saying, "I'm going to develop for this or that platform". Mobile app developing at the Netflix and Skype level is very intense. Its not a game...literally and figuratively.
    12-31-12 07:08 PM
    Nobody you could reach on the phone at Netflix is anyone who knows anything about this and could give a reliable answer. Wait for Jan 30...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-01-13 06:09 PM
    With the browser so good is it not fair to assume Netflix will run that way?
    01-01-13 06:25 PM
    They will not give Yes or No answers. Wait for January 30th for all to be revealed.
    01-01-13 06:42 PM
    This is actually an interesting point that hasn't crossed my mind thus far. Netflix might just be able to run through the native browser. Having said that, I'm sure most people would still prefer that an app be available.
    01-01-13 06:45 PM
    The website runs on Silverlight which will not be available for BB10 (as far as I know, and I would bet never).

The best browser in the world cannot run Netflix without the right plugin unfortunately.
    01-01-13 07:42 PM
    Not happening. Netflix will not waste time on developing an app for a dead platform.
    01-02-13 06:46 PM
    Not happening. Netflix will not waste time on developing an app for a dead platform.
    First of all, if this is a joke, say it is.
    Since you didn't though, stop trolling and get a life.

Secondly, I remember Alec Saunders tweeting this awhile ago:
    Netflix kinda confirmed-waitaminute.jpg
    NightSlayer likes this.
    01-02-13 07:08 PM
    oh look! you got banned! big surprise
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-02-13 10:42 PM
    I'm skeptical about that response. It seems RIM has been willing to work with netflix before, and like alec's tweet said, they would be willing to extend a much higher level of support for such a popular service like netflix. I worked at another floundering mobile manufacturing company that paid ESPN $15M for an exclusive app, then built the app in-house. I wouldn't be surprised if this has always been a case of netflix asking for too much/ trying to bully RIM with ridiculous terms and conditions.
    01-03-13 03:10 AM
    If Netflix is there..big whoop! I don't think I would subscribe if they did come to BB10, the content was a little off when I was a subscriber. If Jan. 30th comes and Netflix is on board big win for BB10..but I want to know...where is Hulu!?
    01-08-13 06:29 AM
    I don't buy the argument of the developing the app cost v.s. benefit of new subscribers. If that truly was the case you would have seen the same behavior for the launch of the Nintendo 3DS and the PS Vita. Both those platforms had Netflix day and date of release.
    01-08-13 10:17 AM
    I don't buy the argument of the developing the app cost v.s. benefit of new subscribers. If that truly was the case you would have seen the same behavior for the launch of the Nintendo 3DS and the PS Vita. Both those platforms had Netflix day and date of release.
    They likely also pay a fortune to Netflix to do it. Perhaps that's the real reason ...
    01-08-13 10:40 AM
    I guess it just depends on what you want to do with your device. In my case Netflix is not one of them. I dont begrudge anyone else and hope its there for you all. Any app you bring up is a must have for some and a "who cares" for others. Thats the beauty of a huge selection of apps. Something for everyone.
    01-08-13 02:17 PM
26 12