I am new to smartphones and starting with a Z10. I installed some apps and realized that apps try to get my permission to access my everything: all files on my device, my camera, my microphone, my location, everything! A simple example is this CrackBerry 10 app that requires me to share my device files if I want to post a attach to my post. If I give this permission then they are permitted by me to steal all my files! Contacts! Text messages, everything. The secure way of uploading a picture is that when you try to attach it, you give permission to share that "single" file.

There are other popular apps that require your permission to have access to your microphone to give you a free Internet voice message service. This means that they can turn on your microphone any time without you knowing and listen to you when talking to your family and friends or when you are in a meeting!

See the and read the "application permissions" section in your device settings for more examples.

So, where goes the security that blackberry is famous for??

You may say don't install those ****s. But I think a secure OS shouldn't let such applications being installed. Even more they shouldn't let such apps apear in BlackBerry World at all.
    Not everybody notices that applications do anything they want with their documents. I, myself, didn't notice at first! Also I think it is not cool for a famous secure OS and device to say to costumers okay we offer non-secure things, you watch out and take care of your privacy.

What is your takes on this?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 04:34 AM
    I am new to smartphones and starting with a Z10. I installed some apps and realized that apps try to get my permission to access my everything: all files on my device, my camera, my microphone, my location, everything! A simple example is this CrackBerry 10 app that requires me to share my device files if I want to post a attach to my post. If I give this permission then they are permitted by me to steal all my files! Contacts! Text messages, everything. The secure way of uploading a picture is that when you try to attach it, you give permission to share that "single" file.

There are other popular apps that require your permission to have access to your microphone to give you a free Internet voice message service. This means that they can turn on your microphone any time without you knowing and listen to you when talking to your family and friends or when you are in a meeting!

See the and read the "application permissions" section in your device settings for more examples.

So, where goes the security that blackberry is famous for??

You may say don't install those ****s. But I think a secure OS shouldn't let such applications being installed. Even more they shouldn't let such apps apear in BlackBerry World at all.
    Not everybody notices that applications do anything they want with their documents. I, myself, didn't notice at first! Also I think it is not cool for a famous secure OS and device to say to costumers okay we offer non-secure things, you watch out and take care of your privacy.

What is your takes on this?

Posted via CB10
    I look at the app, the developer, and the reason that the app requires the permission. If it doesn't seem right I don't allow it and delete it. Apps need to access certain information to perform correctly, and you have to be an informed consumer to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

If, for example, the CB app had asked for my cresdit card information, I would not have granted it because it is unnecessary for the task. If it asks for access to my pictures, that is not only reasonable but required. Additionally, since I trust the developer and the source of the app, I have no piroblem granting access.

There is a difference between unwarranted unrestricted access and access granted based on need for the app to function.
    howarmat and reeneebob like this.
    09-09-13 05:03 AM
    Security and Privacy comes down to the user. The user can make the most secure system unsecure.
    09-09-13 05:43 AM
    Do you actually ever read about permissions on BB10 devices and why they are needed?
    09-09-13 06:38 AM
    Do you actually ever read about permissions on BB10 devices and why they are needed?
    I always read permissions requests. On every platform I use for every app I use.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 08:12 AM
    My universal privacy! , apps permission!-img_00001140_edit.png

Seriously brother, not everyone is a terrorist or scammer.. Some of those apps rely on permissions to work.

Just like you said, if you don't let CB access your files, you won't be able to upload nothing. And we've seen plenty of threads about people not being able to upload pictures and it turned out they had the permission disabled.

If you deny soundhound microphone permission then it won't work. I'm pretty sure they won't record your calls.

If you deny a QR scanner camera permissions then you won't be able to scan codes. I'm also sure they won't take pictures behind your back.

If you deny Maps the location permission, well, I guess you know what happens.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    bb10_fan and Javid Gozalov like this.
    09-09-13 08:20 AM
    I always read permissions requests. On every platform I use for every app I use.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, that question was addressed to the author of this thread, I know you're very cautious about permissions and everything privacy related
    09-09-13 01:21 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001140_edit.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	199847

Seriously brother, not everyone is a terrorist or scammer.. Some of those apps rely on permissions to work.

If you deny soundhound microphone permission then it won't work. I'm pretty sure they won't record your calls.
    I'm not your brother, brother. I want to hear something that comes of out of brain supported by reasons.
    You can see what soundhound people clearly wrote about the microphone permission. They impicitly say they may monitor your calls. How do you say "I'm pretty sure they won't re cord your calls"
    ?! Do u have a reason for what you wrote here?
    Take a look at the attached photo or on your device.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 199972
    Attached Thumbnails My universal privacy! , apps permission!-img_00000171.png  
    09-09-13 05:16 PM
    I think the app permission is confusing the user.

For example, for the app I developed, I have to turn on Microphone for the app voice recording - taking note feature. However, if the user sees the pop up dialog (in the previous post), it actually sounds scary with the warning Blackberry put on there.

I guess in these cases it's all about vendor reputation. If you have concern about permission for any app, please email the developer and ask why he/she needs that permission. I know that some vendor gone crazy and selected all the permissions even though his/her app doesn't need them :S
    09-09-13 05:26 PM
    BlackBerry writes the permissions' descriptions, not the developers. So that's standard for every app that might use the microphone.

09-09-13 05:31 PM
    Yea, I don't trust or allow any apps on my BlackBerry other than the ones made by BlackBerry. For example, I use BlackBerry's Google Talk and Yahoo Instant Messenger clients. The rest, the ones made by glorious developers, are all part of the app scam: they need every permission under the sun to run properly or at all.
    09-09-13 05:37 PM
    BlackBerry writes the permissions' descriptions, not the developers. So that's standard for every app that might use the microphone.

You are right. I didn't know. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:48 PM
    You are right. I didn't know. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    But you made a point.
    All of those permissions are miscellaneous.

BlackBerry is stating what allowing a permission could potentially lead to, but if they enforced developers to write what they're gonna do with said permission to replace that pre-written stuff, there would be far less people worried about it.

That being said, some nice devs actually explain why they need some on the app description.

09-09-13 06:01 PM