03-22-14 05:18 AM
141 ... 23456
tools
    Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 07:44 PM
    looks like some good apps. But there soooo many lists apps. No wonder. Makes us even more stupid. I would make a research and find out what people want instead of building an app and waiting to sell on its own.
    12-10-13 08:10 PM
    I feel the same way. My app (StockDaddy Turbo) is BFB certified and has some of the features which is certainly not available on the other "Stocks" app, yet it consistently ranks in the bottom of the list of all apps under "Stocks & Investments" category and there are hundreds of apps in that category and most of them are not cool (check for yourself).
    Does that mean my app gets lower downloads than other hundreds of apps which are Android Ports or no functionality apps?
    I contacted BB World Marketing about indexing for BFB certified apps and have yet to receive a response.
    I really like to develop for BB10 but see no motivation as # of BB10's around the globe are not great.
    URL to my app is:
    StockDaddy Turbo/
    When I search on Blackberry World, I search on the term. In this case "stock". Then I select the group called Built for Blackberry Apps. There are 10 of them and yours is one of them. That is how I select my apps. All search results have the ability to fine tune for Built for Blackberry.

I don't see Blackberry World as a mess. It is well organized if you select what you want.
    12-10-13 10:40 PM
    I like these young guys trying to make a business. Unfortunately, the core essential of any business is to "fill a need" for a device, software, service or such. We engineers tend to just do things that we like to do without always thinking through if there is any demand for whatever we do. Then if there is a need that your application fills, you have to make people aware of that - this means marketing and advertising - something that engineers are not particularly good at.

This is of course explains the story of Blackberry. Bright guys came up with this two way pager and it turned out that it filled an an enormous need. Blackberry became big by being the only company filling a big need. This was by accident, the founders did not make this happen. Blackberry management did not have to worry about demand as they had accidentally come up with something for which there was enormous demand.

But then, COMPETITION, entered the story in the form of iPhone and the lucky founders did not have a clue about it's impact and could not imagine that all their "loyal" customers would disappear. They thought people bought Blackberry because of some intense brand loyalty and of what the founder thought was technological superiority. No. People bought Blackberry because it was the only product that did what they wanted to do. Also having a Blackberry meant one was "cool" in that one was of a stature where the capability of Blackberry was needed. But when that "capability" became obsolete relative to the competition - the story was over.

The lesson from the Chinese Art of War - let your opponent think he is winning and become arrogant, then he will become careless and make mistakes which will create the opportunity for you to kill him. Apple knew about that.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Blacklatino like this.
    12-10-13 11:00 PM
    I'm in the construction business and this is something I've been needing. Thanks. Apps that perform specific functions can be difficult to locate.
    danielrivers likes this.
    12-10-13 11:17 PM
    Mohamed, I looked at your app (I'm in the construction industry), but it doesn't seem to me to be a very accurate measuring tool. Either make it more accurate, so that people like me will want to buy it, or at least state the accuracy. There are stand-alone echolocating devices available that are accurate to a few mm over several metres. That's the kind of tool I need, and one that will take the dimensions of my Q10 into account.

And yes, please make it work on the Q10.
    12-11-13 12:52 AM
    If you're really worried about selling those apps..
    simply turn it into a game!!

( I know! You wish you had thought of that!)
    12-11-13 01:46 AM
    Dude just put it for free. Now APK are working on BlackBerry 10. So many free apps are way better and good then urs. And u can make an upgrade later with better features with payment options like I suggested before.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:16 AM
    Mohamed, I looked at your app (I'm in the construction industry), but it doesn't seem to me to be a very accurate measuring tool. Either make it more accurate, so that people like me will want to buy it, or at least state the accuracy. There are stand-alone echolocating devices available that are accurate to a few mm over several metres. That's the kind of tool I need, and one that will take the dimensions of my Q10 into account.

And yes, please make it work on the Q10.
    Accuracy depends on how the level at which you are holding the mobile is near to the value h in the settings (default: 1.5 m). Also the sensors accuracy is a factor .. my app do automatic calibration when is held in the vertical and horizontal positions for a second respectively .. accuracy to mm may not be expected from a 1$ app i think . but should state that clearly in the description..

i tried to make it accurate as i can ... here is a snapshot of my offline work My App Sales Number is Zero-0003_12.jpg
    12-11-13 03:58 AM
    To me if you're a developer, you can't just submit an app and expect it to sell, u gotta push ur product..simple as that.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    True, you have to push it every day... and everywhere... until it starts selling itself... :P

Dev. of "Data Usage Counter", "Alarm+", "Recycle Bin" for BB10
    12-11-13 04:53 AM
    A niche app will not sell in extraordinary numbers on any platform. A niche app on a niche platform is almost certainly destined for failure. I learned that the hard way, by putting way too much time into some of my apps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-11-13 08:09 AM
    I am facing the same problem. My app is free app still I have not seen any downloads yet. May be I should be a little more patient.

Drop the price some more
    Drop the price of a free app! Now, that's funny
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-11-13 10:29 AM
    Humm i've had my app out for months and not one download so your not alone lol
    & I don't bother upgrading any functionality in it cause I have no incentive due to ZERO downloads.
    But android will fix all the app problems so I should have even less downloads.
    12-11-13 10:54 AM
    I wrote a similar app (Guestimater - https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...tent/35973890/ ) and have a similar low number of downloads. There are many, many such measurement tools for users to choose from the premier being GadgetBox. Ultimately it's up to us as developers to compete and try to make something unique and useful.

Granted, I'm not trying to be successful, most of my apps are niche-based and written for myself with the hope that others find them useful.
    FF22 and QtHelex like this.
    12-11-13 11:37 AM
    Not sure it's been brought up but your app looks about at the Android 2.3-level as far as appearance goes. That might turn off some casual users. Plus I just don't think that many people need an app to measure things. It looks like you have put a lot of work into it and getting the math behind it all to work looks impressive. Have you considered publishing a version for the Google Play store? I don't want to say "develop for the other guys" but there's nothing wrong with dual-publishing when the platforms are more or less compatible. You deserve to get something for your work.

Personally, I am not looking for my phone to be a tape measure. If I am doing work around the house and need a tape measure, I have a 50' craftsman one that can fall down the stairs and shrug it off.
    kbz1960 and jh07 like this.
    12-11-13 12:33 PM
    Again. as many others have said. I think a complete rewrite of the app into a native BB10 app would do wonders. Most people avoid purchasing android apps on BBW because it is not guaranteed to work properly.
    12-11-13 02:22 PM
    Accuracy depends on how the level at which you are holding the mobile is near to the value h in the settings (default: 1.5 m). Also the sensors accuracy is a factor .. my app do automatic calibration when is held in the vertical and horizontal positions for a second respectively .. accuracy to mm may not be expected from a 1$ app i think . but should state that clearly in the description..

i tried to make it accurate as i can ... here is a snapshot of my offline work Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0003_12.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	228967
    An accurate echolocating measurement tool retails for about $800. I don't expect a $1 app to have the same functionality, but since this is a niche app, those of us who would find it useful will gladly pay a lot more for a very accurate app. I need to be able to place my phone against one wall and measure to the opposite wall, or place it on the floor and measure to the ceiling. Then it would be useful, and I would gladly pay $20+ if I never again needed to carry a measuring tape. A good measuring tape costs at least $20, btw, and I lose or break at least 3 every year.
    12-11-13 02:47 PM
    There is an iPhone app that takes a few photos of a room and creates a floor plan from them. That would be useful too.
    12-11-13 02:49 PM
    Well, I watch the screenshot and I see why this isn't selling:
    1. Admob in paid app???? This is crazy
    2. Android app. My personal policy is to avoid Android apps as much as I can, and I guess many other users have a similar one.
    12-11-13 02:51 PM
    What I mean is this:
    My App Sales Number is Zero-fail.png

I would NEVER buy an ad-supported app, even if it's the best app in the world
    habs_fan and Dave Bourque like this.
    12-11-13 02:55 PM
    My friend asked me if he should change career and develop mobile apps to make money. I told him it's not worth the time and efforts
    12-11-13 02:56 PM
    I am not convinced that re-writing it in native code would do much. It is a very specialized app and not everyone needs such an app. I may be wrong, but I would hope that if it gets approved for Appworld, even it an android port, it works. Clearly, cleaning up the images might help. And, I guess, if you want to be slightly deceptive, make sure that the images do NOT show the Android status line (that bottom line with the back arrow) or any other hint it is Android based.
    12-11-13 03:56 PM
    What I mean is this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fail.png 
Views:	352 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	229084

I would NEVER buy an ad-supported app, even if it's the best app in the world
    If you actually read the thread you would see that the OP addressed that issue by explaining he used the Android version for his screenshot and the ported version does not have ads.

He also said he is going to fix that.
    paper_monkey and Omnitech like this.
    12-11-13 04:16 PM
    Yes but who buys the app, isn't going to search on crackberry to see that.
    If I needed an app like this, I would have been immediately turned down by that screenshot

Posted via Z10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-11-13 05:47 PM
    Yes but who buys the app, isn't going to search on crackberry to see that.
    If I needed an app like this, I would have been immediately turned down by that screenshot

Posted via Z10
    He said he is going to fix that with a new screen shot. Besides it's against BBRY's rules to use screenshots taken with other devices in BB World.
    12-11-13 08:42 PM
141 ... 23456