03-22-14 05:18 AM
141 123 ...
tools
    Hi,
    I've built an app (iMeasureDist) for measuring dimensions of objects with very simple method by just pointing to the base of this object (for example the feet of another person), and simply measure the height by moving from this base to the top .. it also enables measuring the dimensions by moving the phone along the edge you want to measure its length. it also supports measuring large objects like the height of the next building by adding your floor offset into calculations .. it detects the height at which you are holding the phone (absent feature in similar apps).. it gives the user a tool to contain the remote object inside a rectangle and gives the dimensions of this object (e.g. the height of the pyramid and the width of th its base) .. it gives the ability to measure large dimensions also through GPS..
    I put a lot of effort in this app and i don't find a similar one in the blackberry market and i was full of hope in making a success but the result is almost the opposite .. the app sales number is ZERO now for several days .. i had some bug reports before and tried to fix it but i suppose it is working as on my test device on average (because it has been approved by the AppWorld team).. I'm trying to advertise through social media and other ad services but the response of the market is almost dead! i don't know what to do to raise app sales?!

Thanks,
    12-10-13 08:30 AM
    Can you put a link to your app in your post? might help
    12-10-13 08:33 AM
    I believe Gadget Box includes a similar feature. Not something I need to use but I can see how some people might find it useful. Not sure what to say about marketing. It can be tough.
    12-10-13 08:35 AM
    Did you research your market opportunity? What are the applications of your app? Who is your target users? Most important of all, what is the problem your app aims to solve?
    Maybe, and please don't be offended, you built a solution to a problem that does exist.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    12-10-13 08:35 AM
    I am facing the same problem. My app is free app still I have not seen any downloads yet. May be I should be a little more patient.
    12-10-13 08:44 AM
    Why don't you post your apps so we can check them out.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:49 AM
    Can you put a link to your app in your post? might help
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=EG&lang=en
    12-10-13 08:51 AM
    Why don't you post your apps so we can check them out.

Posted via CB10
    here is the link: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=EG&lang=en
    12-10-13 08:52 AM
    OK a couple of points. Maybe improve the UI and visuals of the app to make it more appealing. Doesn't look very native.

Secondly take advantage of marketing techniques like having proper keywords, improving the description, thumbnails, app icon.

BlackBerry Z10 (Z30 inbound) | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-10-13 08:56 AM
    I saw the app before in BlackBerry World. It looked interesting and useful. However I did not buy it because I avoid using Android apps. I want native apps on my BB10 phone. I suspect your response would be better if the app was native.

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    12-10-13 09:00 AM
    I thought I would try your app as I'm in the building industry and could use an app like this. It's an Android port and it doesn't work on my Q10. It could be because I'm running the latest leak. Hopefully you can update it to work on the latest software. This is useless in its current state.
    12-10-13 09:01 AM
    It doesn't help that apps get buried by junk. Seems to be an app for a specific need maybe not many have a need for?
    12-10-13 09:05 AM
    I thought I would try your app as I'm in the building industry and could use an app like this. It's an Android port and it doesn't work on my Q10. It could be because I'm running the latest leak. Hopefully you can update it to work on the latest software. This is useless in its current state.
    I don't know how it is not working on Q10 and had been approved by the AppWorld team ( I told it has been tested on the latest os 10.2)?!!!
    12-10-13 09:20 AM
    Make it native.
    Nobody wants to buy an android port.
    AcADIeN, dracolnyte, tryfe and 8 others like this.
    12-10-13 09:39 AM
    I don't know how it is not working on Q10 and had been approved by the AppWorld team ( I told it has been tested on the latest os 10.2)?!!!
    I understand what your stating, but I think the App World team is approving apps that never would have had been allowed a couple of years ago. I'm not stating yours isn't good. I myself always like a free trial of an app before I purchase. I have NO clue how that free trial stuff works with a program. It's a tough app to take a chance with for the average person. I know its only 99 cents, but I myself have brought too many 99 cents apps and ended up deleting them. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 09:41 AM
    It doesn't help that apps get buried by junk. Seems to be an app for a specific need maybe not many have a need for?
    It could be very helpful in my line of work (Land Development) but as suggested above, the UI could use a little work. For my purposes, the accuracy is not as important but it might be worth indicating somewhere as well what the error factor is so that people know how reliable the measurements are. I think there is a market for the app it's just a matter of getting word to the market.
    12-10-13 09:49 AM
    I dont buy or use anything trying to be Apple. IE "I" name of app.

Posted via CB10
    q649, imcurved, OWCA83 and 10 others like this.
    12-10-13 10:00 AM

ok "i"gotberryfever
    Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:01 AM
    is there any efficient marketing plan? e.g. is there mobile ad network where i can target blackberry users only .. any one tried something like this and received a jump in app sales?
    12-10-13 10:04 AM
    This makes me think that BB somehow needs to make it possible for classes of users (ex. builders, lawyers, etc., etc.) to share info about apps useful to them in their focus/industry. Channels could do it but it would need to be better organized I think - some kind of central directory.
    12-10-13 10:05 AM
    That was my first thought. Why call a Blackberry app "i" something. (or an Android port app).

Posted via CB10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    12-10-13 10:09 AM
    I think you should at least have a 1 week trial or some reduced functionality trial Or offer it free for 1 month etc ect

Most people are very wary of buying an app unless they can see a lot of downloads and good reviews.

But that is a chicken and egg issue since you can't get many reviews/downloads till a few hundred people try it.

So the only answer is to at least have it free for some time till you get some good number of downloads and then put the price back.

From the images and write up it seems it could be better than gadgetbox and another similar app that I have which do some basic measurements (i even purchased one of them). But I can't be 100% sure how good it actually will be since there are only 2 comments/reviews. If there was a trial I would have definitely tried it.

Finally, it would definitely be better if you have a native BB10 app. If it is an android port then most of the time I am tempted to check out the best / top android app for that category and try to install/sideload it. But if its native BB10 then I usually prefer that even if I have to pay (reasonable amount like a dollar or so)
    shupor and nguyenhue like this.
    12-10-13 10:10 AM
    I recommend making an app for a different mobile platform if making money on your product was a concern for you. The BB10 userbase is very small and the problem is compounded by nonsensically poor management in Blackberry World. One developer contributes 33% of the apps. As it is, BB10 app development is more geared toward enthusiast than commercial developers.

Try iOS or Android for a large audience or try Windows Phone if you want to avoid competition.
    12-10-13 10:17 AM
    Sounds like a great app but might be a niche market?

Fired from my Z10
    12-10-13 10:17 AM
    Believe me they do NOT test apps thoroughly as they just don't have the time.

It is your job to do the testing on several devices and OS versions and that way you won't be puzzled when people say it doesn't work.

The UI does need some serious improvement to make it these days where polish is expected. Collaborate with someone who has actual design experience with UI because programmers and engineers often suck at that.
    12-10-13 10:20 AM
141 123 ...