Hey,

A few days ago Uber has decided to play around with the m.uber.com site that eventually broke support for native BlackBerry and Firefox browsers. If you were relying on this service and was a user of their mobile web application, I'm sure you went mad as well. After looking at the details, it turned out that more recent versions of the chromium rendering engine could digest what the guys have done there.

What is mUbr?
    Initially I've build mUbr as a temporary workaround for myself. I could be considered as a "launcher on steroids": a weaved in Crosswalk engine, a cookie store and Uber's website. I am quite happy with it and have decided to let you folks out there try it as well. Feel free to grab a copy from here: https://app.box.com/s/cywcdq9v6xvfdec4a9b5v6khy1s3e1qf (new version with a few minor fixes).

mUbr just works. Well most of the time. However, you'll see quite a number of remarks and known issues down there. So why having a look at this app at all? The answer is quite simple: again, it works. Even when m.uber.com is broken for devices running a BlackBerry browser.

Known issues
    • Memory footprint: This app is not really on a diet; forced closures could happen if the system is starving.
    • 20 megs for a launcher app, seriously? Yes, this is not a simple launcher; it comes with a built in Crosswalk / Chromium engine.
    • Speed: It could lag sometimes, especially on lower end devices like the Q5.
    • Naaaah. Of course it's not native.

Disclaimer
    • Neither this application nor the developer are associated with Uber.
    • mUbr comes with absolutely no warranty; you are using the application at your own risk. I cannot provide proper customer support.
    • Data flowing through the app is not recorded, monitored or altered in any way. Cookies are stored locally and could be removed by uninstalling mUbr.
    • Amazon Mobile Analytics is used to track the number of installations of mUbr; no sensitive information is collected.
    • This application uses libraries from The Crosswalk Project.

Todo
    • Possibly switching to Crosswalk Lite. Tested: performance is even worse due to some non-native calls.

Donation
    If I've helped you to save a few pennies and you'd be happy to get me a coffee, tap here: PayPal donation.

Most probably this app will never land in the BB store as it's kind of an "app-for" or "launcher" that is not really something we are all happy to see there. E.g. Ober by Nemory brings much much more features than this workaround. You definitely should get back to using Ober once Uber will be kind enough to fix its mobile site.

--
    ghz
    Last edited by ghz; 12-09-15 at 07:29 AM. Reason: New version and new link
    JG_Agustin and FF22 like this.
    12-07-15 01:56 PM
    So, it's an Android app.
    12-07-15 03:28 PM
    Donation for Android APK? Really? You are funny guy, ghz.
    12-08-15 04:14 AM
    Yeah. I am a pretty entertaining guy.

But anyway. This is a workaround for a real issue that is faced by quite a number of us especially on the old continent. As of today Uber mobile is still broken and this mUbr thingy could do the tick temporarily. Believe it or not, but I've spent a few hours checking all the alternatives - native rendering and JS engines, 3rd party apps, etc. - and looked at options that could bring a fix. Unfortunately, the built-in Webkit engine is rather outdated as BlackBerry has not implemented much new stuff since 10.1 and there are no easily accessible and fresh libraries linked against BB10/QNX that could be used in a Cascades application. So the obvious choice was to go down the Android way if i want to do something quickly. However, as our beloved platform brings only API18 support, the in-built WebView could not be used as it was modernised via Chromium only with API19. Keeping the story short, Crosswalk had to be brought in and embedded it into a launcher.

Result: A solution brought quite quickly for something that was broken by a 3rd party. I am usually happy to give away a smile and sometimes a few pennies to folks who help me fix or achieve something. If you think differently, then simply ignore that paragraph. I truly believe that at least a few of us are now able to use Uber. Of course i'll stop starting this bloated app as well once the official site is fixed and will probably revert back to more advanced clients like Ober.

Anyway, I'd be just as happy as you if there would be native solutions. But let's face it: BB10 is dying and application developers, marketers and service providers are completely ignoring this platform now. Keeping in mind that BlackBerry will provide security fixes only to their browser, things like what happened to m.uber.com will pop up rather frequently.

Peace.
    FF22, JG_Agustin and eldricho like this.
    12-09-15 07:25 AM
    So, it's an Android app.
    Yupp, It's an Android app as there are no (simple) alternatives that could be used with Cascades. And no, it is not just an Android app as it is loading up a native Chromium engine from an arm binary using hw acceleration. Still not a bloated, slow, etc. and definitely not an ideal solution, agreed.

Though, I made a mistake by not posting this to the Android thread. On the other hand it does affect BB10 users only so it could be more relevant to us here. If you are running Andoid, then you will not face this issue as a) you could use the official app or b) you can bring up a recent stock Android or the Crome browser that runs m.uber.com properly.
    FF22 and JG_Agustin like this.
    12-09-15 07:39 AM
    It was an alternative solution for those facing a specific problem with the Uber mobile page. Although he mentioned you could donate, he's not charging anything for it, geez...

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    FF22 likes this.
    12-10-15 08:11 AM
    Hi everybody

As i get the "network error" issue with android app and m.uber.com (BB browser, Opera, Chrome), i have tried mUbr but without success.

What's happening with uber and BB devices ?
    Thanks

Regards,
    Gorom
    10-09-16 03:35 PM
    Hello again

so i just got a mail from Uber support telling me that my account needed an access to Uber mobile.
    Sorry to have bothering you with my last post, i was mistaken with this message "network error" that was not very clear.

Regards.
    10-10-16 01:45 AM
    For those of us finding that "Network Error" issue with the Uber app as well the m.uber.. I have also been working on the problem by backing up to much older version to find which ones work.. I have found that Ver. 3.101.2 and Ver 3.109.2 will work on BB10 os Z30 and Passport. However after login a few times and letting it sit. Somehow it gets itself updated to the newer Screen version login and that seems to be causing the problem is the newer login screen best I can tell. But here is a link if you want to try the older version.. But first you must complete Uninstall, not delete, Uninstall the newer version, and use a cleaner to clear junk files as well as cache. Then Install the older version, but then after install do a Restart or Shut Down then after your back up on the BB.. Open the app it should work fine. Just keep in mind that at some point it will stop because somehow it is getting updated without the Google Play store doing it. It must be from Uber's end..
    Here's the link.. let me know how you made out.. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-F...hWSEVjaTQ/view
    11-25-16 10:51 PM