I have some files I ripped myself using some evil Linux software. The format I create is OGG, I tried also MP3, this doesn't matter.

What I recognize is: many players don't play my files, for instance Clean Player and NoTag Player. If I choose one of my files nothing happens. But - now it's getting interesting - the builtin BB Music Player does play them, everything is fine. (But this app is unusable ... I would prefer Clean Player.)

What's the reason for this? Can I do or avoid something while ripping?

Damned "off" in the title, I mean "ogg", nothing else, can't change it anymore ...
    Last edited by muellerto; 05-04-14 at 07:12 AM.
    05-04-14 06:30 AM
    If you have a PC or a Mac, I would get a free audio converter program from the net and just download your music to your PC first. Convert them for the Clean Player (never heard of it) and then load to your phone.

I doubt OGG files are playable on the phone. convert to mp3. Any free audio converter will do that for you. I use "freac"

I prefer Neutron. It's something a lot of us use here. Check it out.
    ronfc likes this.
    05-04-14 07:37 AM
    There, I edited the thread title for you. As for your problem, I never heard of those players, are they Android apps? By the way, audio formats MP3 and OGG are supported by all BlackBerry 10 devices, even lossless formats like WAV and FLAC. OGG does sound better compared to MP3 at the same bit rate, although MP3 is more flexible and widely supported. I agree, why don't you try using Neutron? It works great on BlackBerry 10.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    05-04-14 07:47 AM
    (Thanx a lot for editing the title.)

Yes, those players are ports. I tried them because they are free. This is something I like - I'm an old Linuxer since it's early days.

And they are simple. I'm not at all a fan of play lists. I also never use features of a player like shuffle play or playing genre based. I have my music well organized in folders and I always listen whole albums. I just don't need a feature rich bloatware player. On Linux I use even command lime players like Mplayer very often.

I also tried MP3, this was my first idea. It does also not work. I think my ripper has a special option or something so that the created result is not compatible with many players. But what?
    05-04-14 10:28 AM
    If I may ask you, what stops you from using the default Music app? It's pretty much minimalistic; no equalizer, no ala-studio fine tuning and such.

05-04-14 12:58 PM
    I don't think this is a problem of your ripper. I've tried various kinds of MP3 on my Z10 - iTunes MP3, LAME CBR, LAME VBR, encoded by various rippers - Windows Media Player, iTunes, EAC, dBpoweramp, foobar2000, etc. and they all work flawlessly. It is a standard, so it should work. I think the problem lies in the app itself. It is an Android app, not a native, Built for BlackBerry app, so I will not give my faith that it'll work.

05-04-14 01:05 PM
    If I may ask you, what stops you from using the default Music app? It's pretty much minimalistic; no equalizer, no ala-studio fine tuning and such.
    The default BB Music Player is strictly based on MP3 tags - this must be understood correctly: based on something, the user oftenly doesn't master at all. For this you need the knowledge what tags are, special software to manage them, a lot of time to do this and also a lot of discipline in naming the things. The result is almost everytime a mess. What this app shows me in the list to select something of my 50 or 60 albums is totally crap.

I love classical music. I give you three examples of what I mean:

• I have 3 or 4 "Symphony No 1" beside some more "Sinfonie Nr.1" (which is the same in German) - don't believe that you can see what is what at a glance, you have to investigate this if you really want to know.
    • Oftenly a classical piece like a 1.5h Mahler symphony comes on two CDs, surely I place my ripped files into one folder - but don't think that you can play the movements in the right order. This is because the 1st movement has track number 3 on the 1st CD because there was something else in front of it, the 2nd movement is track 4, then comes the 3rd movement with track number 1 (now on the 2nd CD) and the 4th movement with track number 2. Great! You can't manage this without editing the track number tags or creating a damned play list. And I have lot's of such double CDs.
    • The same tags of different recordings must match somehow to produce a consistent view over all. So you will probably name the composer always "Peter Tchaikovsky". - Do you? In German we write "Peter Tschaikowski", in Russian it is "Пётр Чайко́вский" - note: this all I get from CDDB servers out there when I rip a CD. - Even better: normally there is no tag at all named "composer", the primary tag is named "interpret". But the interpret is oftenly "Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa (concert in China)" or anything like that, something that doesn't interest me at all when I look upon a selection list to find a piece of music.

No doubt, this app is made for people with very simple needs, and it is unusable for anything serious. What I strictly need is file name and folder based playing. What the user simply can handle is naming and numbering his files and place them into well named folders, not editing any internal tags. A good player should always give the user an opportunity to find these folders. Playlists, tags and such things could be additional.

And I guess this all is not much better solved in Neutron. Would be worth trial but there is no.
    I think the problem lies in the app itself. It is an Android app, not a native, Built for BlackBerry app, so I will not give my faith that it'll work.
    What I don't understand is that these players do play other, older files very well, OGG too. But not my recently ripped files. I will try another ripper engine this afternoon, just to exclude this as the reason.
    Last edited by muellerto; 05-05-14 at 08:03 AM.
    05-05-14 01:54 AM
    Oftenly a classical piece like a 1.5h Mahler symphony comes on two CDs, surely I place my ripped files into one folder - but don't think that you can play the movements in the right order. This is because the 1st movement has track number 3 on the 1st CD because there was something else in front of it, the 2nd movement is track 4, then comes the 3rd movement with track number 1 (now on the 2nd CD) and the 4th movement with track number 2. Great! You can't manage this without editing the track number tags or creating a damned play list. And I have lot's of such double CDs.
    For that, I would suggest making an .m3u playlist. On a playlist, it doesn't matter who is track no. 1 or 2, what matters is in what order you had set the tracks to be played. If you create a playlist for every CD/folder you have, you can simply find it on the Playlists tab of the app.

05-05-14 06:23 AM
    No doubt, this app is made for people with very simple needs, and it is unusable for anything serious.
    I wouldn't put it that way. I am very serious about my music esp. the classical tracks. I rip my classical music CDs to lossless formats and create a very high quality MP3 copy of it. I research to find the particular recording and input every performer and info into its tags.

05-05-14 06:30 AM
    For that, I would suggest making an .m3u playlist.
    Playlists are somehow a work around for the failed concept of consistent tags in the files. Sure it works, but then you have already three locations for such informations: folder and filename, tags and now the playlist ...

I saw in one of the preview pictures Neutron does probably also offer folders for album and/or track selection. Perhaps it is indeed worth trying ...
    05-05-14 08:02 AM
    Playlists are somehow a work around for the failed concept of consistent tags in the files. Sure it works, but then you have already three locations for such informations: folder and filename, tags and now the playlist ...

I saw in one of the preview pictures Neutron does probably also offer folders for album and/or track selection. Perhaps it is indeed worth trying ...
    Let's agree to disagree. Tags are made to insert additional information about a particular track. It is widely used and is very important for cataloging your music. Tags are used by the Music app (and most music app, on a mobile device or on a computer) to better categorize albums, artists, and such. Saying that a playlist is a "workaround" and a "failed concept" is totally absurd. Nonetheless, I hope Neutron would suit your needs.
    05-05-14 08:48 AM