Just looking through app world in the recent tab and saw Mega have ported their Android app and it's in BlackBerry World.

Check out MEGA in BlackBerry World! You can find it at MEGA - BlackBerry World

Mega, Android port in BlackBerry World-img_20140127_142339.png

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 02:27 PM
    Nice find, sure most users will enjoy it. Thanks!
    01-27-14 02:30 PM
    Very interesting. Especially considering the fact that one of the top BlackBerry execs stated within the last 2 months or so that BlackBerry World would never have a Mega app due to all the leaked BB10 OS files hosted there.
    01-27-14 02:55 PM
    Very interesting. Especially considering the fact that one of the top BlackBerry execs stated within the last 2 months or so that BlackBerry World would never have a Mega app due to all the leaked BB10 OS files hosted there.
    The same exec was moved to the QNX Cloud division, this is just speculation, however, maybe Marty Mallick is more lenient.
    01-27-14 03:13 PM
    The same exec was moved to the QNX Cloud division, this is just speculation, however, maybe Marty Mallick is more lenient.

I thought of that but it would be kind of dumb to change core company policy whenever an exec changes jobs.

And also kind of counter-intuitive considering how it seems that leaks have dried up under Chen's regime.

I'd be more inclined to assume the usual BlackBerry World incompetence - ie someone just missed it.

FWIW: Mallick has been in charge of BlackBerry World for a while now.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-27-14 03:50 PM
    Ooh very nice. Now hopefully it's updated whenever they update the Android version and don't leave us behind..

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:50 PM
    Hope it is there to stay

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 03:57 PM
    Ooh very nice. Now hopefully it's updated whenever they update the Android version and don't leave us behind..

Posted via CB10
    That's why I always install an app from Google Play via Snap when I know it's a port. Then it will always be up to date.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 04:22 PM
    That's why I always install an app from Google Play via Snap when I know it's a port. Then it will always be up to date.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. It's what I do for Flipboard and SoundCloud.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 04:32 PM
    Why blame a file sharing service for what their users do?
    I would also not blame BlackBerry for what their customers do…
    Mega does not violate BBW policies so whatever this exec said (from the job description I guess it was Alec? ) should not be that important… the more apps the better (even though I would love to see a native Mega app )
    01-28-14 01:54 AM
    Mega does not violate BBW policies so whatever this exec said (from the job description I guess it was Alec? ) should not be that important

The human mind does indeed seem to have an almost limitless ability to rationalize almost anything.

What makes you so confident that their app does not violate BBW policies? As of not so long ago that didn't seem to be true.
    01-28-14 10:05 AM
    What makes you so confident that their app does not violate BBW policies? As of not so long ago that didn't seem to be true.
    Not so sure about that. They haven't changed the policy (and if they did, then in silence which I'm pretty sure would make them invalid for European devs ) so if it was denied before I doubt it being because of them…
    And if it were because they fear leaks, it's the wrong approach…
    01-28-14 11:10 AM
    And if it were because they fear leaks, it's the wrong approach…

Which is just your personal rationalization because you want free stuff made easily available.

MOST companies whose product uses updateable firmware do not agree with you. If they intended those builds to be offered to the public, they would just put them on a public server and let anyone download them.

Mega's entire history was built upon a foundation of publicly distributing data whose creators never intended it to be publicly distributed.

That is a non-debateable fact.
    01-28-14 02:28 PM
    Which is just your personal rationalization because you want free stuff made easily available.
    Excuse me? What makes you think I want free stuff? I almost don't use Mega and if I do it's because I share personal files with friends and family…
    I admit having installed a "leaked" version once, but that was after BB Link only offered me 10.0.9 when restoring my device and that version was blocked from BB

And maybe Mega was created to illegally share files, who knows, but they do not promote it like that but just like any other file storage platform – otherwise Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, … should have been banned too. Mega isn't the only platform that hosts those files.
    spiculated likes this.
    01-28-14 03:06 PM
    And maybe Mega was created to illegally share files, who knows, but they do not promote it like that but just like any other file storage platform – otherwise Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, … should have been banned too. Mega isn't the only platform that hosts those files.

Read the history. The US FBI has been trying to have the owner extradited to face prosecution in the USA since 2012 and he has law enforcement all over the world after him for various forms of fraud and computer crimes. The predecessor of Mega was shut down and confiscated in the USA for egregious copyright violations.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload
    Last edited by Omnitech; 01-28-14 at 05:56 PM.
    01-28-14 04:14 PM
    Interesting conversation happening here between CBers. Looking for more information, I've came across this very entertaining documentary by Vice:

He talks about the future directions of Mega in the interview.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by spiculated; 01-28-14 at 05:12 PM.
    01-28-14 04:48 PM
    Interesting conversation happening here between CBers. Looking for more information, I've came across this very entertaining documentary by Vice:

He talks about the future directions of Mega in the interview.

Yeah he's great at self-promotion. (What would you expect from a guy who changed his name to "dotcom")

And either that image is heavily photoshopped or he's lost over 100lbs from the last pic I saw of him.
    01-28-14 09:21 PM
    Any word on the native BlackBerry mega app?

Posted Via CB10 Via My Z10
    02-18-14 02:34 AM
    The MEGA app is one that stays open all the time on my Z10. Whenever I check Task Kill, it's running. Even though I only use it to upload from my PC. The app on my phone would just be to pull something down when I'm away from my laptop.
    Kinda annoying to have to open task kill 30x a day to kill Mega.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-18-14 07:55 AM
    Is it me or does Mega app kicked back and doesn't let me download or open it?
    I've deleted and reinstall app, and it still behave the same thing.
    Clicked on app, open for a split second and closed as fast.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    03-03-14 07:35 AM
    Hmmm Jafrul, I didn't have that problem. After you deleted MEGA, have you rebooted to rid the device of all traces? And try again?
    03-03-14 09:11 AM
    Hmmm Jafrul, I didn't have that problem. After you deleted MEGA, have you rebooted to rid the device of all traces? And try again?
    Will try this.. thanks jaydee.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    03-03-14 06:54 PM
    uninstalled it after a week, could never get anything to upload.
    03-03-14 07:13 PM