Well ever since I've been sideloading more and more Android apps to my Q10, I wondered whether it would be worth looking into purchasing the Max Mobile Security app, that allegedly scans your device for any malware associated with ported Android applications?

However, I've read a few forum threads on here about it, and a lot of people say it's basically a scam/waste of money, as The BlackBerry platform is very secure, and whenever you port an Android app across, the phone's software scans it for malware anyway.

I don't know what decision to come to about this software. It looks good, but is it really needed?

Posted via Q10
    08-09-13 11:25 AM
    Also interested in the answer to this. I am usually careful with the sources I install apps from, but if it has actually helped other forum users I am interested to hear it.
    08-09-13 11:54 AM
    How do the app reviews look? Those are usually your best indication.
    08-09-13 11:56 AM
    How do the app reviews look? Those are usually your best indication.
    Yes, they usually are. They all basically say the same thing - bought it for 'peace of mind'.

Well 'peace of mind' is not enough to part with my money. I want it to be effective.

Posted via Q10
    08-09-13 12:11 PM
    I wouldn't call it a scam per say, but the key thing to note is it really only protects from Android malware.

And even an infected runtime (Android player) can't really touch your device so...

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-09-13 12:20 PM
    Only one review mentions the app actually detecting a threat. The rest just say stuff like: no threats found, great design, quick developer response.

So far it seems it does not actually scan actively, you have to do manual scans to detect anything. Probably will remain that way until the OS allows background apps...
    08-09-13 12:33 PM
    Only one review mentions the app actually detecting a threat. The rest just say stuff like: no threats found, great design, quick developer response.

So far it seems it does not actually scan actively, you have to do manual scans to detect anything. Probably will remain that way until the OS allows background apps...
    Oh, I didn't come across the review where it mentioned an actual threat being detected! I just don't know whether this is worth getting or not.

Posted via Q10
    08-09-13 04:36 PM
    I have yet run into any malware on native BBOS or even on BB10. If BlackBerry finds out they can reject the developers signing keys.

Most of the them are android apps that screw with your device and do things in the background that you don't know about.

If you install android apps the app might be useful but as for virus or security app i don't think you need it.
    08-10-13 12:42 AM
    Then in that case, I don't think I will be buying this then.

Posted via Q10
    08-10-13 03:36 PM
    I am also interested in anyone that has used it or is using it....was looking into purchasing also

From my Z10
    08-10-13 04:01 PM
    I think CB or BlackBerry should test this thing to see how it works.

Finds cases where BlackBerry phones have ever been infected.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 05:12 PM
    The way I see it is: at the moment this app is not worth it. No active protection, and the "safe" browser seems useless because it does not integrate in the stock browser. The only good protection it does offer is manual scanning for malware that might infect your PC (when usb-connected for example).

Until it actually gets active scanning (for the stock browser for example), it seems too limited for 9,-.
    _____
    I hope anyone can prove me wrong though, I would definitely be interested in supporting an app giving extra protection.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 08-11-13 at 05:45 AM.
    08-10-13 05:32 PM
    The way I see it is: at the moment this app is not worth it. No active protection, and the "safe" browser seems useless because it does not integrate in the stock browser. The only good protection it does offer is manual scanning for malware that might infect your PC (when usb-connected for example).

Until it actually gets active scanning (for the stock browser for example), it seems too limited for ?9.
    _____
    I hope anyone can prove me wrong though, I would definitely be interested in supporting an app giving extra protection.
    I agree.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    john5050 likes this.
    08-10-13 10:22 PM
    I find it funny how viruses can be on the phone, but not infect it
    It will infect the computer......LOL
    But here's the thing. Your computer will most likely have antivirus that is much better than the app, hence, you don't need to scan your phone first.
    08-11-13 12:00 AM
    I think the husband and wife team of the company that makes this app have just capitalised on the naivety of some people, praying on them to buy it just so that they have 'peace of mind'. Prove me wrong though.

Posted via Q10
    08-11-13 07:42 AM
    I have had Max Mobile Security for a few months and haven't been convinced this actually does anything. i have tried to watch the scan readouts of the file that it is scanning and i dont see anything i can identify as any one of my files. So, now that i have said that, i need some proof that this is real virus, malware, spyware scanner and can identify and remove infected files or anything that causes harm to my files in the device memory or SD card. i have tried to scan while i have allowed all permissions and i have also tried this app with no permissions allowed. no difference,,,,,it hasn't found anything. i haven't seen anyone who has installed this app find anything either. i want proof please.
    kind regards,
    j
    08-14-13 10:25 AM
    I find it funny how viruses can be on the phone, but not infect it
    It will infect the computer......LOL
    But here's the thing. Your computer will most likely have antivirus that is much better than the app, hence, you don't need to scan your phone first.
    The way i understand how virus/spyware works is the virus language has to be written in the same as the target computer is. for instance, i remember seeing microsoft computers getting hammered with attacks and a Apple Macintosh is unaffected and imune to that particular virus. Today there are some that do make there way to those languages too. but the most common attacks happen on microsoft OS's only because most people have a microsoft computer.
    Last edited by john5050; 08-14-13 at 10:39 AM. Reason: omitted word
    08-14-13 10:37 AM
    I have had Max Mobile Security for a few months and haven't been convinced this actually does anything. i have tried to watch the scan readouts of the file that it is scanning and i dont see anything i can identify as any one of my files. So, now that i have said that, i need some proof that this is real virus, malware, spyware scanner and can identify and remove infected files or anything that causes harm to my files in the device memory or SD card. i have tried to scan while i have allowed all permissions and i have also tried this app with no permissions allowed. no difference,,,,,it hasn't found anything. i haven't seen anyone who has installed this app find anything either. i want proof please.
    kind regards,
    j
    What sold you on buying this app? Were you one of the ones who bought it on 'peace of mind' principle? I agree that this app needs to be 'proven' to work legitimately.

Posted via Q10
    08-14-13 11:46 AM
    Yes i did buy this out of hopefull thinking that this may work eventhough this was supposed to be the first mobile virus scanner. im sorta amazed that BB AppWorld gave this App the badge "Made for Blackberry 10". i was wanting to trust it. i wished it did better. I am going to contact the developers one more time see how they react to my dissatisfaction. i may request a refund if they give me an answer i am not happy with.
    08-15-13 12:00 PM
    Yes i did buy this out of hopefull thinking that this may work eventhough this was supposed to be the first mobile virus scanner. im sorta amazed that BB AppWorld gave this App the badge "Made for Blackberry 10". i was wanting to trust it. i wished it did better. I am going to contact the developers one more time see how they react to my dissatisfaction. i may request a refund if they give me an answer i am not happy with.
    I'd want a refund, most definitely. Bunch of scammers unless they can prove otherwise.

Posted via Q10
    08-16-13 04:42 PM
    I had the exact same concerns.

And I'm not saying this is the solution:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=840105

But I figured I'd go head to head with them a bit on it .

With that said, my app has a long way to go still. But at least it's priced reasonably (monopolizing vultures lol).

Ed.

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-16-13 08:20 PM
    I had the exact same concerns.

And I'm not saying this is the solution:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=840105

But I figured I'd go head to head with them a bit on it .

With that said, my app has a long way to go still. But at least it's priced reasonably (monopolizing vultures lol).

Ed.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Ah, wicked! I like how you've been completely honest and open right from the beginning about what the app can and can't do.

Unlike the other party, who retails there app at 7.50 and that does jack all!!

Posted via Q10
    08-18-13 11:40 AM
    I use it regularly since I use lots of Android ports, I scan the app before sideloading. Has caught a threat twice out of the 50 odd android ports I have installed.
    MrGabriel likes this.
    11-30-13 12:43 AM
    Hey guys, just stumbled over this thread. Do drop me an email at [email protected] and I will give you a refund if you are not satisfied with the product. Also I can send you some malicious samples to test the app. Do write to us.
    MrGabriel, byrdbrained and red72 like this.
    11-30-13 12:47 AM
    Now headless! Downloaded it and checking it out.

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    tryfe likes this.
    05-01-14 12:28 PM
30 12