I eager to use this map app in Japan.I'm on Classic.
    Pre-installed map is unuseful in Japan at all.

I tried to use this,but I found that some of names of stores or facilities don't appear on Maps.me on BlackBerry.
    I confirmed that these names were written on the website of OpenStreetMap(https://openstreetmap.jp/map) and I could see these on there.

Why these names cannot be seen only Maps.me app?
    I'm realizing that Maps.me is using the map of OpenStreetMap.
    But there are a lot of difference between on OpenStreetMap website and Maps.me,Why?
    Maps.me cannnot download latest updated map?Or,this program code cannot display all informations of Map data?

How can I do?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-19 12:04 AM
    The maps of the BlackBerry maps.me are from 2015 AFAIK. Maps.me uses another kind of map files nowadays, each covering a smaller part of a country. The file endings are the same, but unfortunately they won't work in the older BlackBerry app.

You could try Osmand from BBW . These maps seems updated and also based on open maps.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 01-19-19 at 05:40 AM.
    01-19-19 03:59 AM
    Uninstall the Maps.Me that you installed from BBW. It is way out of date.

Then go to their website www.maps.me and download the APK. The sweet thing is you don't need an google play store/services installed. When there is an Update, you get an in app notification.

I like it for traffic navigation. Directions are decent, but you need to bookmark addresses ahead of time as you can't enter a to address as it needs the GPS coordinates.

The auto night mode doesn't seem to work, so I just manually switch as needed.

The Compass seems to work when moving, but seems overly sensitive when stationary.

It allows you to download individual maps, but it does not support saving it to an SD card on the BlackBerry 10 Android. If you feel tech savy, you can download the maps and move them to the SD card manually. You won't be able to use it in the app until you move it back on the device.

For a free app with all the features, this is tough to beat. If they can add the ability to enter an address to generate directions I would probably use this exclusively.

Posted via CB10
    Eugen Unson likes this.
    01-19-19 09:50 AM
    Try 2 other options.
    Sygic Maps works great, I used it exclusively on my Passport no troubles whatsoever. I had it on the entire day for a week and always got back to homebase. Way easier to use than Maps.Me

Magic Earth: More privacy minded, appears to have no trackers and has updated maps. It's a touch slow on my Q10 but seems to work, I will probably move to this

Maps.me is still a decent option. The stupid search algorithm is frustrating, your address has to be exactly correct for it to find...

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-21-19 07:00 PM
    Thank you of all!

I don't like Android apps,I want to use only BBW apps,or third-party's bb10 native apps.
    Android app need to use Android player,that drain alot of battery power and CPU capacity.So I dislike to use Android apks.

for mikael

OsmAnd is excellent.But there is one disappointment.That is restricted to download for only 10 Maps at free version.And I couldn't find tha way to buy paid version for BB10.
    How can I download all maps of OSM?

for ajohansson

Probably that is good idea to change bb10 app to same Android app.
    But if possible I want to use BB10 apps.

for EFats

I couldn't find Sygic maps and Magic earth in BBW.Were these already ended offering on BBW?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 08:23 PM
    Thank you of all!

I don't like Android apps,I want to use only BBW apps,or third-party's bb10 native apps.
    Android app need to use Android player,that drain alot of battery power and CPU capacity.So I dislike to use Android apks.

Posted via CB10
    In BB10, the android player automatically starts at every boot. It's always running, and always has. Reason being, many apps in BBW are actually android ports - apks in a bar wrapper.

So that excuse is not really valid.
    01-21-19 08:42 PM
    I don't think the Maps.Me in BBW is a native app. I think it was an android port.

The APK web version installed from their web site runs pretty decent.

As for power consumption, you are best running with external power even if it were native. They use the GPS radio's to constantly update the map position. I don't believe this is exclusive to Android as I recall a while back when I had a company issued iPhone, I needed to keep the phone plugged in when using the native map application as it not only chewed through the battery, but it got quite warm to the touch when using GPS.

The only native GPS map app is the BlackBerry one in BBW. It's quite good, but it isn't offline maps, so it requires internet access during use.

I have Mireo maps, but I bought it before BBW payment system was shutdown. I contacted the developer afterwards as I wanted to make some additional purchases and they said they no long support upgrades/purchases. Too bad as it was decent and comparable to Maps.Me, with a few additional features. It too is a battery hog and for extended use, it needs to be connected to external power.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 01:22 AM
    Navfree in BBW is native AFAIK, but some year old maps to download .

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 01:26 AM
    Navfree in BBW is native AFAIK, but some year old maps to download .

Posted via CB10
    Correct.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 06:14 AM
    I don't think the Maps.Me in BBW is a native app. I think it was an android port.
    Correct.
    01-22-19 09:47 AM
    There is a little more lightweight app called Maps on Fdroid store (a Maps.me clone, the app only half the size of Maps.me) which have updated maps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 01-22-19 at 02:52 PM.
    01-22-19 12:24 PM
    The included Maps was native, as is NavFree (maps horribly outdated) and Genius/Mireo. You can't download the last one anymore. I talked to them, issue is payment appears to be in-app but is actually handled through BBWorld.

All the others are Android ports. OsmAnd had a paid version so you could get updated maps, but I think the free is fine for most purposes. Rarely do you need that many offline maps at one go.

Magic Earth and Sygic are Android. You can get APK from Apkpure or via Yalp app (get from F-Droid). Or actually I paid for Sygic after the trial and they provided a direct download to the APK for me.

All map apps are a battery drain, but my last experience with Sygic, I was on holiday for a week, the app was on from morning till night every day and it was no issue for my Passport. Always had power to spare to get back to my hotel.

Posted via CB10
    bb_geezer likes this.
    01-22-19 01:46 PM
    I mean,I want to use only apps from BBW.I hate Android apps and google play.And,android apps are not ensured to work on BlackBerry 10 device.
    I never wish to use Android apks for my BlackBerry classic.

I tried also Navfree on BBW.But map appearance is same as Maps.me on BBW.It's too few informations of shops or facilities.

And Pre-installed Map can't be used about Japan.It's awful.

I want to use the latest OpenStreetMap data on BBW apps.
    Where is the answer?I couldn't find the answer yet.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 08:18 AM
    I think you got all answers already. If you want a map from BBW showing updated open street maps Osmand is your only choice, whatever you think. After all Bb10 is, as I guess you know, a dying OS.

Although Osmand is on BBW it's not native. In best case it is a port from android, maybe it's just a plain apk wrapped up in a bb10 package. All the same it works fairly well, I think.

Aside from that you have been pointed to different maps to run through the android runtime. This is another alternative. But if you don't like it, there's nothing more to do.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 08:49 AM
    Then you are out of luck. Genius Maps was available on BBWorld and it was not an Android port. But the only way to get updated maps on there now is to grab it from an Android install.

Only Navfree was native but I don't know how to get updated maps for that.

No, I don't like running Android apps on my BB10 either, but in the case of some of these offline map apps, it's not too bad. They work well enough if you have a Passport and honestly once it's loaded up and running, it makes little difference if it's native or not.

I ran Magic Earth the other day on my Q10, which should be similar to Classic. Slow to load and interact with, but once you've punched in your destination then it works quickly and smoothly at directing you to your destination.

If offline is not a requirement, and you just need a map, well, browser. I looked up Ehime, Japan in OpenStreetMaps and it works fine.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 05:36 PM
    Thank you of all!

for mikael

OsmAnd is excellent.But there is one disappointment.That is restricted to download for only 10 Maps at free version.And I couldn't find tha way to buy paid version for BB10.
    How can I download all maps of OSM?

for ajohansson

Probably that is good idea to change bb10 app to same Android app.
    But if possible I want to use BB10 apps.

for EFats

I couldn't find Sygic maps and Magic earth in BBW.Were these already ended offering on BBW?

Posted via CB10
    Hey BB Mens,

Did you try Navfree, as suggested by others on this thread?
    01-24-19 07:27 PM
    to mikael

Osmand is work fine.It seems that is only one option that be able to used for my purpose.
    But,there are some of disappointments,such as restriction of number of downloads,and battery consumption.
    It seems to me that I have to endure those inconveniences.

Maps from F-Droid,this make an error of downloading.I can't use at all.

to trumpet

I tried Navfree,but this can be display only too small number of POI,maybe this is also outdated.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-19 11:13 PM
    Only Navfree was native but I don't know how to get updated maps for that.

No, I don't like running Android apps on my BB10 either, but in the case of some of these offline map apps, it's not too bad. They work well enough if you have a Passport and honestly once it's loaded up and running, it makes little difference if it's native or not.
    All map apps are a battery drain, but my last experience with Sygic, I was on holiday for a week, the app was on from morning till night every day and it was no issue for my Passport. Always had power to spare to get back to my hotel.
    Thanks for sharing your experience of different mapping apps.

I'm still keen on Navfree (despite its outdated maps) primarily due to it being the only currently available free, native & offline mapping app with voice guidance, (and not being too much of a battery hog), however it would be great if it supported saving maps onto the SD card. I'm wondering if you or anyone has ever managed this?

Having said that, your experience using Sygic intrigues me. A non-native offline mapping app which doesn't rapidly drain the battery is quite a feat actually.
    01-25-19 11:25 AM
    I just downloaded, supposedly, the Apk directly from maps.me. When I got the file, it was a zip file, not an Apk. Fine, so I unzipped it and have thousands of little files in a folder. No Apk file. Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-19 02:06 PM
    I just changed the zip to apk and it installed normally. Now, it's taking forever to download one map for my city. We'll see if it completes the download.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-19 03:32 PM
    I got the new Android version running, but I can't seem to get map updates.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-19 07:13 PM
    I'm running the latest (or at least very, very recent) version of Maps.Me
    I do recall it was very finicky with map updates if you upgraded the old one from BB World. I first uninstalled Maps.Me then I went into the directories manually to delete all the old maps and left over files.
    Do a clean install of the new Maps.Me and it should be able to update maps no problem.

My favourite is currently Magic Earth. No know trackers, complete maps, easy to search and use. Maps.Me searching is very hit and miss.
    As I mentioned before I had used Sygic on a trip with no problem. Most recently I used Magic Earth on another trip. Out and about for about 10-12 hours a day, 15-20km by foot. No problem on the Passport and having enough charge to get back to the hotel at night.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-07-19 04:05 PM
    I'm running the latest (or at least very, very recent) version of Maps.Me
    I do recall it was very finicky with map updates if you upgraded the old one from BB World. I first uninstalled Maps.Me then I went into the directories manually to delete all the old maps and left over files.
    Do a clean install of the new Maps.Me and it should be able to update maps no problem.

My favourite is currently Magic Earth. No know trackers, complete maps, easy to search and use. Maps.Me searching is very hit and miss.
    As I mentioned before I had used Sygic on a trip with no problem. Most recently I used Magic Earth on another trip. Out and about for about 10-12 hours a day, 15-20km by foot. No problem on the Passport and having enough charge to get back to the hotel at night.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Is it Magic Earth in the BBW?
    08-07-19 04:26 PM
    Is it Magic Earth in the BBW?
    No, but believe it or not you can get a good working version in the Amazon App store.
    08-07-19 05:40 PM
    I have Magic Earth on my BlackBerry Classic. However, it's a bit of a bear to start, but works nicely thereafter. I downloaded it from Amazon App store.

The problem with Magic Earth is that it doesn't display traffic even though it works in the other apps. I have turned the setting on inside the Magic Earth app, but it might be an in app purchase which doesn't appear to exist from Amazon.

Maps.Me is best when downloaded directly from their website and installed on your BB10 device instead of the BBW version. They provide a standalone APK you can download directly that doesn't need patching or Google Play. They don't make it easy to find the download anymore. So from their home page, go to Support>Knowledge Base. Then scroll down to "Problems with the App" and click on the "I can't install/update MAPS.ME..." article and near the bottom, they provide a link to download the .apk file from their website.

The nice thing about Maps.Me is the "traffic" overlay and navigation for when commuting. The address lookup isn't entirely user friendly though.

Anders

Posted via CB10
    08-07-19 09:55 PM
27 12