I just downloaded the Magellan GPS app and tried it driving locally last night. I have a couple of questions that I hope the collective wisdom of CB can answer for me:

1. The GPS feature worked excellently but did not stay on the map. That is as I drove down the road and the map scrolled the GPS icon did not stay on the visible portion of the map but disappeared off to the side. I had to swipe the map to bring it back into view. Note I was not using navigation, that is following a set of directions from point A to point B.

2. On a another thread it mentioned that saving the map data to your SD card would allow you to use the app in airplane mode. I did not see an option in the settings to set the map storage to the SD card?

Thanks
    keith1000 likes this.
    04-03-13 07:18 AM
    I purchased this a while back and find it one of the worst map apps I've ever used. Very clunky interface and not intuitive at all.

On a recent trip to Florida it proved useless. Fortunately I have Osmand and it worked much better.

As for your problems, to have your position stay onscreen tap your position until you get that menu pop up and then tap on the crosshair-like option.

For the offline maps, go to settings and then cache. Click on add to save it and it'll save the map you are currently displaying. It will then use the offline map whenever you're within that area. I think.

I say "I think " because no documentation that comes with it. So you got figure it out yourself, which is pretty lame for a paid app which has many better, free choices.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 08:28 AM
    I just downloaded the Magellan GPS app and tried it driving locally last night. I have a couple of questions that I hope the collective wisdom of CB can answer for me:

1. The GPS feature worked excellently but did not stay on the map. That is as I drove down the road and the map scrolled the GPS icon did not stay on the visible portion of the map but disappeared off to the side. I had to swipe the map to bring it back into view. Note I was not using navigation, that is following a set of directions from point A to point B.

2. On a another thread it mentioned that saving the map data to your SD card would allow you to use the app in airplane mode. I did not see an option in the settings to set the map storage to the SD card?

Thanks
    You can have the map recenter with the GPS by selecting the GPS marker, and select track. You can also do that from the action overflow choices. Lastly, you can set that as an initial preference, under settings/gps: on initialize:

There is no option to save map data to the SD Card. Map data has to stay in the app's sandbox due to licensing.
    04-03-13 11:08 AM
    I purchased this a while back and find it one of the worst map apps I've ever used. Very clunky interface and not intuitive at all.

On a recent trip to Florida it proved useless. Fortunately I have Osmand and it worked much better.

As for your problems, to have your position stay onscreen tap your position until you get that menu pop up and then tap on the crosshair-like option.

For the offline maps, go to settings and then cache. Click on add to save it and it'll save the map you are currently displaying. It will then use the offline map whenever you're within that area. I think.

I say "I think " because no documentation that comes with it. So you got figure it out yourself, which is pretty lame for a paid app which has many better, free choices.

Posted via CB10
    Magellan Compass has a lot of features to cram into a small screen. User help will be coming in a later release. If there are specific screens that are causing you a problem, please contact us at support[at]o2interactive[dot]com so that we can improve upon the UX in a later release.

Map data is automatically stored when the app is not actively being touched. You can force pending tiles under settings/cache. You can also grab a region of map data for a range of map levels from the same screen.
    04-03-13 11:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    I thought I was the only one. Found it very choppy, laggy, etc . The UI is ugly and plain. I don't really know why It has those very good reviews. I guess we'll take whatever we have.
    04-03-13 11:15 AM
    I thought I was the only one. Found it very choppy, laggy, etc . The UI is ugly and plain. I don't really know why It has those very good reviews. I guess we'll take whatever we have.
    In terms of the lag. The app is done in Adobe AIR. We were told that Stage3D would have been ready by now, which would have remove the lag issue with the AIR runtime. Now we are told that this will probably occur later this summer. The other development environments were not mature to manage this kind of app at the time it was developed. We will see what will happen once the AIR runtime has been upgraded.
    04-03-13 11:43 AM
    Hello, Can the traffic legend be hidden? It takes up some map space and there is no need for it along with the opacity setting to stay on the screen all of the time.
    Also would it be possible to get a cheat sheet to describe the five different icons that pop up when you tap your position?
    Thanks

Also, how often does traffic update? Or do you have to depress the refresh button to manually update the traffic?
    04-11-13 09:07 AM
    I would like the names of the streets spoken to me. Also, I would like to view the map from the driver's point of view while I am driving. These two features are offered on BB Maps, and make that program more useful for me when driving.
    04-11-13 09:30 AM
    The other day, I took my first trip using Magellan. The experience was mixed. On the one hand , the directions were good and took me by the most efficient route, but I did have some problems with the functionality of the program:
    1. When I last used Magellan the cps pointer was set to show speed and to track my position. It seemed to have defaulted back to no speed and not tracking. Is there a way to save those settings.*
    2. My trip took me across the border to the U.S. from Canada and I switched off data to avoid roaming charges. This caused me to lose the map. The track was still there and the directions at the bottom of the screen, but the rest of the screen was just white.
    3. Oh yeah, the app plays a note when it launches, any way to turn that off? Rule No. 1of Hamilton Guy's Consumer Bill of Rights: If a machine makes a noise the Consumer must be able to turn it off.

My cache settings are:
    Magellan GPS App - A couple of questions-img_00000210.jpg

Thanks in advance

* I don't know if its just me, but having the default setting of the gps pointer not set to track strikes me as a little bizarre. I would have thought that 99 times out of a hundred you would want the pointer tracking your position.
    04-21-13 07:12 AM
    Bump
    Hello, Can the traffic legend be hidden? It takes up some map space and there is no need for it along with the opacity setting to stay on the screen all of the time.
    Also would it be possible to get a cheat sheet to describe the five different icons that pop up when you tap your position?
    Thanks

Also, how often does traffic update? Or do you have to depress the refresh button to manually update the traffic?
    Bump

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 07:34 PM
    I can't get any kml file to be displayed on Magellan Compass. The app imports it (no errors displayed) but there are no symbols on screen from my POIS. Any trick I'm missing?
    Besides, are there any plans to allow importing of gpx routes or gpi poi files?
    Thx, Wolf

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 09:22 AM