04-13-15 09:50 PM
129 ... 456
tools
    Very disappointing as this is one of the few kinds of apps I'd like to work reliably. Even though I asked the dev repeatedly if he can help further, all he could offer was a version of the app that passes the notification straight from the OS (in the hope that would determine where the problem lies). I will keep trying to make it work, do you have any other hints?

Thanks,
    What is happening when it does not work? Yeah, I know crazy question. Are the Permissions enabled?

You location/gps sensor is working?

Do you have any other 3rd party apps that might also be vying for the gps or location info? Any other headless apps?

Have you DELETED it completely using Device Monitor which should also delete supporting files/cache that might be acting up? Then REinstall it again.

Just checked and it worked yesterday when I went to the Y. Actually, it worked twice. As I drove past it and then further away to find parking. Entered/left. Then when I actually got there entered and left an hour later.

Just sent over the hub and it worked each day this week for the Y and also when I had another appt where the location was set on Monday.

Ask away and I'll see if there's another else we can identify.
    wally_walrus likes this.
    03-28-15 01:33 AM
    Thanks for staying with me on this So after deleting and reinstalling the app, and also deleting and re-adding the locations it seems it's working acceptably now. Although there is a delay of up to 25 - 30 minutes sometimes.

I wonder how often the OS "samples" location in order to notify geofencing apps of going in or out the fence, and also what methods the OS uses (aside from hardware GPS sensor) - I noticed for as long I stay home connected to my wifi router the battery drain is very small (0.04W as measured by battery Monitor) while as soon as I go out battery consumption increases 3-4 times that
    04-05-15 10:29 PM
    Thanks for staying with me on this So after deleting and reinstalling the app, and also deleting and re-adding the locations it seems it's working acceptably now. Although there is a delay of up to 25 - 30 minutes sometimes.

I wonder how often the OS "samples" location in order to notify geofencing apps of going in or out the fence, and also what methods the OS uses (aside from hardware GPS sensor) - I noticed for as long I stay home connected to my wifi router the battery drain is very small (0.04W as measured by battery Monitor) while as soon as I go out battery consumption increases 3-4 times that
    I've also wondered how often it 'senses' its location. I don't know if that's the OS or the app's specific inherent settings. Too often could really drain the battery I'd guess. I don't know the what or how but I do notice that when I "leave" a place, the Y-gym is almost daily, that I hear the NOTIFICATION in different places different days. Sometimes its within a block or two of leaving and some days I hear it when I approach home, almost a mile later. I don't know if it is a distance or a time interval or, maybe dictated by the OS???
    04-05-15 11:44 PM
    Used the app for a little longer, and it worked most of the time but still fails sending notifications on the odd occasion and the headless service does not respond to ping. Then with no apparent reason (and no action on my part) it starts working again. Received a bunch of notifications of in- and out-of locations I've been to lately and two "service pings" almost 24 hours past.

Too bad the dev is no longer interested and abandoned it (or so it appears)...
    04-13-15 09:50 PM
129 ... 456