I suspected something like that.

I did notice on the previous version though (when I was having issues) I unistalled the app, but what ever process calls for GPS lock every minute or so was still active. Even after a reboot it kept popping up to get a GPS lock, so I suspect this is a system process? Anyway, it would be nice to be able to stop or suspend that from happening, e.g. when I'm working away from home and not visiting the usual haunts where I'd be using the app. Might this be something we could have in a future release?
    12-03-13 04:30 PM
    I suspected something like that.

I did notice on the previous version though (when I was having issues) I unistalled the app, but what ever process calls for GPS lock every minute or so was still active. Even after a reboot it kept popping up to get a GPS lock, so I suspect this is a system process? Anyway, it would be nice to be able to stop or suspend that from happening, e.g. when I'm working away from home and not visiting the usual haunts where I'd be using the app. Might this be something we could have in a future release?
    It is strange, since uninstalling application removes both UI part and headless service. Anyway, in current version when you close UI part extensive querying of the location stops. Headless part uses only geo-monitoring which presumably should battery friendly. Anyway, it is definitely great idea to allow disabling of geo- monitoring as well. Will target that for the next upgrade.
    scook94 likes this.
    12-03-13 04:54 PM
    I am not sure but this app (and others) that use location services might be snared by the bug/issue/problem of Z10 Sensors being disabled (orientation, proximity, magnetic sleep, etc). I had to turn off Location services to regain those sensors. Discussed on the CB home page in a blog posting.
    12-03-13 04:58 PM
    Please add option to toggle wifi. Helps battery from phone searching for AP?S while driving, at theater, mall, etc.

Any new connected AP?S get added to on location for enabled wifi location.

Might allow Z10 to last all day.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:16 PM
    Please add option to toggle wifi. Helps battery from phone searching for AP?S while driving, at theater, mall, etc.
    Posted via CB10
    It is great idea but it does not look that BlackBerry allows WiFi toggling to 3rd party apps. We will check that again.
    12-04-13 07:05 AM
    I am not sure but this app (and others) that use location services might be snared by the bug/issue/problem of Z10 Sensors being disabled (orientation, proximity, magnetic sleep, etc). I had to turn off Location services to regain those sensors. Discussed on the CB home page in a blog posting.
    Interesting I just tried QuickSnap while having OnLocation running as well. QuickSnap uses orientation sensor to capture snapshot and it worked fine.
    12-04-13 07:11 AM
    Interesting I just tried QuickSnap while having OnLocation running as well. QuickSnap uses orientation sensor to capture snapshot and it worked fine.
    The ISSUE (last night, the reason for the problem was not revealed) was fixed yesterday afternoon. Actually, Location Services worked but it somehow caused all of the sensors (orientation, proximity (face turns it off), even the magnetic on/off with a magnetic case to fail. The ISSUE occurred on z10, q10 and z30's. Very ODD.
    12-04-13 08:26 AM
    The ISSUE (last night, the reason for the problem was not revealed) was fixed yesterday afternoon. Actually, Location Services worked but it somehow caused all of the sensors (orientation, proximity (face turns it off), even the magnetic on/off with a magnetic case to fail. The ISSUE occurred on z10, q10 and z30's. Very ODD.
    so does the issue still persists?
    12-04-13 09:14 AM
    so does the issue still persists?
    It was resolved yesterday. See the article on the CB front page.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    12-04-13 09:21 AM
    It was resolved yesterday. See the article on the CB front page.
    Thanks, great, so it has nothing to do with OnLocation
    12-04-13 09:44 AM
    It is great idea but it does not look that BlackBerry allows WiFi toggling to 3rd party apps. We will check that again.
    I think NFC stuff can do it. In 10.0, there was a bug preventing the NFC apps from toggling it, and it was expected that when BB fixed the api, it would just work (without needing an app update, just OS update). Hopefully, it is exposed, or else I don't know what use cases BlackBerry had in mind when they put geofencing into the SDK but didn't make one of the most used features to be toggled.
    12-04-13 01:31 PM
    Please add option to toggle wifi. Helps battery from phone searching for AP?S while driving, at theater, mall, etc. .
    +1. Would buy the app immediately with the option to toggle wifi based on location. But it doesn't need to be the Gps location. The location can also be based on the mobile network cell id / lac. This might be more battery friendly.

Posted via CB10
    emcjobo likes this.
    12-07-13 07:09 AM
    [QUOTE=kja123;9668967]+1. Would buy the app immediately with the option to toggle wifi based on location. But it doesn't need to be the Gps location. The location can also be based on the mobile network cell id / lac. This might be more battery friendly.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Ability to turn-off cellular based on location. Eg. If I connect to my home WiFi, I want cellular radio to turn off. Or, if I am on a particular Cell ID, I want WiFi turned on/off.

Does BB support 3rd party on/off control of radios (WiFi, cell, BT, NFC...)?
    12-13-13 09:20 AM
    Does BB support 3rd party on/off control of radios (WiFi, cell, BT, NFC...)?
    BlackBerry does not allow turning off WiFi to 3rd party apps.
    The option to turn on WiFi will be added in next release
    12-13-13 03:55 PM
    I have a question or issue?

I have it set for a location and it is suppose to change to Vibrate. I drove there this morning and swiped down and Notifications showed "Normal." Is there a time lag for it to detect I have arrived within the 300 meters? Since it was an appt, I was heading in and did not want to hear the phone so I manually changed it to VIBRATE. I did not wait. Upon leaving it is suppose to change back to NORMAL. A few blocks away (1/2 mile?) I looked and it was still on vibrate but since I was in traffic, I left it alone. A bit later, an email came in and it did make its NORMAL sound.

So that leads me to ask is there a lag or delay as it detects location change? If there is some delay, any estimate of how long that is? I guess I should do some more testing with some quickie dummy locations just to see what happens.
    12-16-13 03:11 PM
    So that leads me to ask is there a lag or delay as it detects location change? If there is some delay, any estimate of how long that is? I guess I should do some more testing with some quickie dummy locations just to see what happens.
    From my experience, while in most of the cases detection is fast, sometimes there is lag in 'leave' detection that does not exceed 10 minutes
    12-16-13 03:38 PM
    From my experience, while in most of the cases detection is fast, sometimes there is lag in 'leave' detection that does not exceed 10 minutes
    I will have to test some more, especially on arrival.
    12-16-13 06:22 PM
    I'm not getting the GPS icon on the top left of my phone once I close the OnLocation- that is, not keep the app in the active frame mode (the small gps pin icon that comes on opening any map service such as blackberry maps or mireo)

Do I need to worry?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 12:43 PM
    I'm not getting the GPS icon on the top left of my phone once I close the OnLocation- that is, not keep the app in the active frame mode (the small gps pin icon that comes on opening any map service such as blackberry maps or mireo)
    Do I need to worry?
    No need to worry. You can check under global settings that 'Location Services' are On and that also check that OnLocationService is up (under App Manager/Device Monitor/OnLocation):
    On location headless app?-img_00000486.png
    12-26-13 05:33 PM
    Okay, please don't take my questions the wrong way. I am trying to determine what is causing my z10 to spontaneously reboot - I will find it once a day or every other day with the Blue Logo with the clockwise progress bar showing. Or, my active frames are gone and I get notice that On Location and another headless have been loaded (meaning, the system restarted for that to occur).

But I have not read of anyone else with this issue so I'm just asking and not blaming OnLocation or the other app. It could just be my phone.

This happpened on both the official OS (but I loaded it since my carrier did not offer it) and with the 10.2.1.1055 leak.

But also for the 2nd time in 3 weeks it went into a lockup where the blue logo moves to about 98 or 99% and after 6 hours, the phone still does not restart or reboot.

So, again, no blame for this or any app.

Both On Location and Watcher were loaded. I went to an appt and On Location switched to Vibrate as I wanted. While there, I used the Kindle app to read a bit of a book. Came home and pulled out the z10 and it was stuck in that Blue Logo and remained there for 6 hours.

I just did finally get an OS loaded but it twas not easy!
    12-26-13 08:53 PM
    So, again, no blame for this or any app.
    Yes, I never encountered this kind of problem. I am using 10.2.0.429 at the moment.
    May be you can uninstall temporarily Watcher or OnLocation and see of problem still occurs?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-26-13 09:21 PM
    So does this actually work? Can't tell from the replies here.

@dev any way to get this to work with timed profiles too? I'm trying to find something that can emulate bedside mode automatically. For example, at home past a certain time will activate phone calls only.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 03:58 PM
    So does this actually work? Can't tell from the replies here.
    @dev any way to get this to work with timed profiles too? I'm trying to find something that can emulate bedside mode automatically. For example, at home past a certain time will activate phone calls only.
    Posted via CB10
    Currently OnLocation is implemented as short living headless app. It only activated when geo monitored detected entering/leaving location. Implementing timed profile will require service to take actions based on time and currently it would require long running service, that is only supported starting 10.2.1. For now we can implement time condition on top of geo location trigger.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    12-27-13 04:08 PM
    Currently OnLocation is implemented as short living headless app. It only activated when geo monitored detected entering/leaving location. Implementing timed profile will require service to take actions based on time and currently it would require long running service, that is only supported starting 10.2.1. For now we can implement time condition on top of geo location trigger.
    It's a good thing I (and many others) have 10.2.1 Though, short running apps may be better on battery.

Is there no way to just put in hooks to poll the time when the geo event is detected? I assume that's what you mean by putting it on top.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 04:52 PM
    It's a good thing I (and many others) have 10.2.1 Though, short running apps may be better on battery.

Is there no way to just put in hooks to poll the time when the geo event is detected? I assume that's what you mean by putting it on top.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it what I meant and yes, it will be not be difficult to implement.
    12-27-13 08:10 PM
129 1234 ...