So when one of us had to fly half way around the world, BBM didn't work. I have no idea why (one of us BB10 and the other iPhone). Have been using it right up to the morning we departed. And yes we did upgrade the iPhone to the consumer-enterprise pay edition.

Skype pulled through. Sure, it complains that it doesn't work without Google Play services but is that just the data sucking features? Cause it sure works fine here. I get alerts in the Hub, text chats work. Video call was perfect. Maybe a very slight lag, but what do you expect routing around the world? Not really much to gripe about and it's supposed to be end to end encrypted now too.
    On top of that, I get all the received messages sync'd across EVERY single one of my devices. From laptop to every BB10 phone, Windows 10 phone, Android and iPhone.
    coffee-turtle and chain13 like this.
    09-06-19 11:29 AM
    Where did the other person go? There are some markets that do block BlackBerry services and other IM.
    09-06-19 01:21 PM
    BBMe works on desktop (Windows and Mac), iOS, Android, BB10 (with limitations/no groups) and you can use 5 devices. The quality of video and voice and all the features are amazing. And it is BlackBerry end2end encrypted. The first year is for free, then it costs a coffee-to-go. Your data will not be monetized.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 09-06-19 at 01:57 PM.
    dwatts26726 likes this.
    09-06-19 01:32 PM
    BBMe works on desktop (Windows and Mac), iOS, Android and you can use 5 devices. The quality of video and voice and all the features are amazing. And it is BlackBerry end2end encrypted. The first year is for free, then it costs a coffee-to-go. Your data will not be monetized.
    Don't think he asked for a sales pitch... he was already sold on it. But it let him down, and he wondered why...
    John Albert and chain13 like this.
    09-06-19 01:43 PM
    Deleted
    09-06-19 01:54 PM
    BBMe works on desktop (Windows and Mac), iOS, Android, BB10 (with limitations/no groups) and you can use 5 devices. The quality of video and voice and all the features are amazing. And it is BlackBerry end2end encrypted. The first year is for free, then it costs a coffee-to-go. Your data will not be monetized.
    I have no issue with paying for BBMe...the problem is I couldn't figure out the easy way to do this on BB10, which I still use as my daily. I certainly do not have an Enterprise account! If you know how I can buy a single consumer license to BBMe for BB10, I'm all ears
    So...currently I have no video calling on BBM between the devices.

BTW, one side is in North America, the other is in Western Europe, I wasn't aware there was any blocking or lack of service in these regions....
    09-09-19 02:06 PM
    I have no issue with paying for BBMe...the problem is I couldn't figure out the easy way to do this on BB10, which I still use as my daily. I certainly do not have an Enterprise account! If you know how I can buy a single consumer license to BBMe for BB10, I'm all ears
    So...currently I have no video calling on BBM between the devices.

BTW, one side is in North America, the other is in Western Europe, I wasn't aware there was any blocking or lack of service in these regions....
    On BB10 (I use a Classic and a Passport) you don't need an enterprise account. Just use the normal BBM with your BBID. It runs on the BBMe for individuals servers. There are some limitations, but it works.
    09-09-19 02:11 PM
    On BB10 (I use a Classic and a Passport) you don't need an enterprise account. Just use the normal BBM with your BBID. It runs on the BBMe for individuals servers. There are some limitations, but it works.
    I have BBM on BB10 and communicated no problem with iPhone on BBMe...that is when we were on the same continent. Now it seems to no longer work when separated by an ocean or two.
    Also even when it did work, we were limited to text and voice only, no video.

Skype does the job, it doesn't require my phone number and it does voice, text and video. And despite what I used to think of Microsoft back in the day, Skype, and Microsoft itself, actually has a business model that has something other than advertising.

BlackBerry, come on, how hard is it to put a 'purchase now!' button on BBM? On the other hand, I gotta give it to you that my Q10 still runs a new (latest?) version of Skype for a platform it was never meant to run.
    09-09-19 06:15 PM

BlackBerry, come on, how hard is it to put a 'purchase now!' button on BBM? On the other hand, I gotta give it to you that my Q10 still runs a new (latest?) version of Skype for a platform it was never meant to run.
    How's the battery usage of Skype? Does it drain your battery at all? Or cause excessive heat?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-19 06:24 PM
    I have BBM on BB10 and communicated no problem with iPhone on BBMe...that is when we were on the same continent. Now it seems to no longer work when separated by an ocean or two.
    Also even when it did work, we were limited to text and voice only, no video.

Skype does the job, it doesn't require my phone number and it does voice, text and video. And despite what I used to think of Microsoft back in the day, Skype, and Microsoft itself, actually has a business model that has something other than advertising.

I had contact with the BBMe team. They had a problem with iOS and fixed it.
    09-10-19 02:49 AM
    How's the battery usage of Skype? Does it drain your battery at all? Or cause excessive heat?
    Either running in background or just open I have not noticed any real battery hit. Just text chatting is fine, sending pictures is good. It does get warmed up when on long video chat but that's to be expected I think.

I'm using 8.15 on my Passport SE this week...
    09-10-19 01:51 PM
    I had contact with the BBMe team. They had a problem with iOS and fixed it.
    Hmm maybe coincidental then. But right now still cannot connect to my contact on iOS.

What about BB10? Is there a not-hack-around procedure to just get/buy it for regular consumer? Or really I just care about the video calling cross platform at this stage
    09-10-19 01:53 PM
    Either running in background or just open I have not noticed any real battery hit. Just text chatting is fine, sending pictures is good. It does get warmed up when on long video chat but that's to be expected I think.

I'm using 8.15 on my Passport SE this week...
    Nice, I may give it a shot sometime.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-19 07:10 PM
    Hmm maybe coincidental then. But right now still cannot connect to my contact on iOS.

What about BB10? Is there a not-hack-around procedure to just get/buy it for regular consumer? Or really I just care about the video calling cross platform at this stage
    Hey EFats,

The way to connect with iOS or Android folk using BBMe is to just use regular old BBM on BB10. It interacts perfectly with BBMe and the enterprise version is not required at all for BB10 or BBOS users.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-10-19 07:14 PM
    Hey EFats,

The way to connect with iOS or Android folk using BBMe is to just use regular old BBM on BB10. It interacts perfectly with BBMe and the enterprise version is not required at all for BB10 or BBOS users.
    He is talking about video calling. AFAIK this isn't supported between BB10 and Android/iOS, am I right?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-19 07:41 PM
    He is talking about video calling. AFAIK this isn't supported between BB10 and Android/iOS, am I right?

Posted via CB10
    Correct.
    09-10-19 07:53 PM
    Hey EFats,

That is correct, and that's the way it worked until one end moved across the pond, then BBM stopped working...
    And anyways even when it did work, no video calling.
    09-11-19 11:50 AM
    That is correct, and that's the way it worked until one end moved across the pond, then BBM stopped working...
    And anyways even when it did work, no video calling.
    Hmmm, that's odd on the cross-country bit. But yes, I checked and you and Ben are correct on video calling. That's going on my list of things to check into in the sense of getting something cross-platform, but good to hear Skype is working in the meantime....
    09-11-19 11:05 PM