Hi,

We use keepass (KeePass Password Safe) heavily to keep track of our passwords for Servers and other IT equipment. In order to have this information available on the road I'm desperately looking for a keepass implementation that works in the work perimeter of BB10 (we've got our BB10s (Z10, Q10, Q5) managed by a BES10 server.)

So my first way obviously was to appworld.blackberry.com where I discovered three implementations of keepass:

1. Keepass for Blackberry by Dan Samargiu (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/27406106)
    2. KeePassB by Andrei Popleteev (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/131133)
    3. KPD (KeePass) by Dandandin (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/107367)

Unfortunately none of the solve my problem:

App #1 doesn't work - error "Database does not exist" with whatever database-file I try to open. Even more, the developer no longer supports this app, so we're out of luck here ("...The App is not being actively supported by me anymore. However, It remains open source and free to modify and update...")

App #2 is an android app so it can't be installed in the work perimeter

App #3 also is ported android app - no way to get this into the work perimeter either.

So my question(s):

• Has anybody out there installed any version of any keepass app in the work perimeter (must be native BB10-app) that actually works?
    • Has anybody seen the error message "Database does not exist" mentioned above - and knows what can be done against it?

Thanks much in advance for your help.
    01-07-14 10:06 AM
    I use app no 1 and it's working well on my device Q5. With no issues with databases (sync with laptop and desktop).
    What did you do after the installation?

Regards
    01-07-14 10:23 AM
    Hi,
    After the installation I simply opened the app tapped on the "database" tab, navigated to the.kdb-file I copied over from my PC using BlackBerry Work Drives and got the error message mentioned in my original post.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:06 PM
    Forgot to mention that the problem is the same regardless of whether I try the same combination of app and keepass-datafile in personal or work perimeter. Also tried different keepass-files - didn't work either.

BTW: which OS version are you running? I'm running 10.2.0.429 on a Q10, but we've also got similar problems on Z10s.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:09 PM
    I've on my device last leaked os version 10.2.1.1925. What version of kbd file do you have? Maybe the pc app isn't save in the right version for reading bb10 app.
    I have on my laptop running Debian (linux) keepassx 0.4.3 and my work laptop the windows version that use the same version of database key-file. And both (laptop and desktop) use the same file from the personal cloud.
    After I bought Q5 i found keepass app from bbw, I downloaded the .kbd file from the cloud in my phone and open-it without issues.

This it;s the link for my app:
    KeePass for BlackBerry - BlackBerry World

and I have 1.1.6.1 version.

This behavior for this app It's strange. But i'm pretty sure than I explanation for this must. be.

Regards
    01-07-14 01:22 PM
    I don't know if I can help, but I use the first one listed also. I have been using the same *kdb file on multiple devices for years now. I assume you have the "old style" kdb format. My database is AES with 6666 encryption rounds. I recall an older version of KeePass(something) on my legacy BB, and I had too many encryption rounds set. So I lowered that to 6666 (no reason, just easy to type at the time; I think the default is 6000).

Maybe that's an issue. Load your kdb up in a desktop client and look at your database settings.

I don't have my phone partitioned for work/personal, so I can't help there. But you said it fails in personal space as well. Device memory, SD card -- no difference? Obviously you can see the databases enough to browse to try to open them. Weird.
    01-07-14 05:02 PM
    I've on my device last leaked os version 10.2.1.1925. What version of kbd file do you have? Maybe the pc app isn't save in the right version for reading bb10 app.
    Hmm, as far as I see the only difference is that you're running 10.2.1.x whereas I'm still on 10.2.0.x. Aside from that everything looks very similar:
    Keepass on the PC is version 1.26 (portable version), so the database file format definitely is 1.x which should be compatible with the keepass-app.

After I bought Q5 i found keepass app from bbw, I downloaded the .kbd file from the cloud in my phone and open-it without issues.
    Same thing I did: copied the .kpd-file over to the BB where I'm also using KeePass for BlackBerry version 1.1.6.1.

Even tried starting with a fresh empty keepass-file - nada

Maybe this is a dumb question: but could this problem have something to do with policy settings on the BES10? (again I'm having the exact same problems with both the keepass-file and the app running in the personal vs. the work perimeter)

cheers
    01-07-14 05:23 PM
    Hmm, as far as I see the only difference is that you're running 10.2.1.x whereas I'm still on 10.2.0.x. Aside from that everything looks very similar:
    Keepass on the PC is version 1.26 (portable version), so the database file format definitely is 1.x which should be compatible with the keepass-app.

Same thing I did: copied the .kpd-file over to the BB where I'm also using KeePass for BlackBerry version 1.1.6.1.

Even tried starting with a fresh empty keepass-file - nada

Maybe this is a dumb question: but could this problem have something to do with policy settings on the BES10? (again I'm having the exact same problems with both the keepass-file and the app running in the personal vs. the work perimeter)

cheers
    My desktop version is 1.25 but it's been upgraded several times over the years. Also I have been using this on my BB for quite a long time; it was one of the first programs I wanted to install. I got my Z10 in April of last year, so it's been ok on 10.0.9.x all the way to 10.2.1.x.

When you made a new database, I assume it took on all the defaults, AES and 6000 encryption rounds (maybe double check that in windows). The only thing left would be IT policy, but I haven't dealt with BES is years. Certainly not the current one. Hope a solution is found.

Life without KeePass would suck. I don't even know most of my passwords. ;-)
    01-07-14 05:34 PM
    I had this same issue months ago. I was never able to get it working in the work perimeter. I tried both a local copy of the kdb file and one via work drives where I tried opening it from network share. I think I tried contacting the developer (of the first app that is not Android) and I don't believe I ever got a response. The app works fine with the same file in the personal perimeter.

I use my personal keypass via dropbox with KeePassB, which is an Android app. It works very well, but of course that doesn't work in the work perimeter.
    01-07-14 08:51 PM
    Maybe there in your phone @ebb it's some kind of problems btw work and personal space. Personally I don't have this separation in my phone. I have only personal space there in my Q5. This can be a explanation to this strange behavior of keepass app.

Regards
    01-08-14 03:14 PM
    I had this same issue months ago. I was never able to get it working in the work perimeter. I tried both a local copy of the kdb file and one via work drives where I tried opening it from network share. I think I tried contacting the developer (of the first app that is not Android) and I don't believe I ever got a response. The app works fine with the same file in the personal perimeter.

I use my personal keypass via dropbox with KeePassB, which is an Android app. It works very well, but of course that doesn't work in the work perimeter.
    Ah, so I'm not the only one having this problem. This doesn't solve the problem of course but knowing "you're not alone" make things a little easier

I also thought about (and have tried) the Android-based app, but work-related stuff must only be held in the work perimeter in our context which leaves me with the native keepass-app for BB10 as the only possible solution...
    01-12-14 08:03 AM
    The developer hasn't been on CrackBerry for some time (Denuo), but he does have the app on Git Hub here. Any developers out there that think they can carry the torch?
    01-22-14 02:19 PM
    I'm surprised that a Built for BlackBerry designated KeePass app is currently unavailable for BB10. The Android alternatives are somewhat slow and clunky, I always end up using KeePass for BlackBerry.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1925 | STA100-3 10.2.1.1925
    Dave XII likes this.
    01-22-14 03:02 PM
    I haven't followed this for a while and indeed it's a pity that the project stopped. I wonder what happened to Dan? The roadmap looked promising. Would be a dream if some capable developer steps in...

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:13 AM
    For those who are still looking for a native KeePass on BlackBerry 10 -- there is a new KeePassB, and it does work in work perimeter as any Built for BlackBerry app should.

There is a discussion thread here on CrackBerry forums.
    05-09-15 08:21 PM