My Fellow Crackberrians,
    If you are looking for a FREE Mobile security app, Kaspersky Mobile Security Lite APK now works flawlessly on my Z10. It includes the usual features, remote locate, call sms filtering, remote data wipe and is free. It's also the recommended security app by Barclays Bank UK. Hope this is of use.

PS I have no association, commercial or otherwise with Kaspersky Labs.
    01-29-14 12:20 AM
    Have you tested it's capabilities or just whether or not the program UI opens?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 04:49 AM
    I have loaded it to my phone which is running the 10.2.1 official release. The app behaves like an android port so not all the features work. I am speaking of the remote device block but that feature is baked into BlackBerry Protect. I can only suggest you try it and see if it fits your needs. It is free after all.
    01-29-14 06:26 AM
    Better than nothing but just be cautious with Android AVs.

The android runtime doesn't run 24/7 - usually. Only for 30 mind or so before it pauses. And apps are extremely sandboxed - so the AV can really only scan your Misc folder.

Certainly good though to give you something if you do need it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-29-14 06:35 AM
    I have loaded it to my phone which is running the 10.2.1 official release. The app behaves like an android port so not all the features work. I am speaking of the remote device block but that feature is baked into BlackBerry Protect. I can only suggest you try it and see if it fits your needs. It is free after all.
    Thank you for explaining further.

I appreciate the comment about the Android runtime above, I knew nothing of this and obviously I would have more faith in a reputable security firm so this is why I am interested in the possibility of using an Android app.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:54 AM
    I think you can effectively ignore the anti virus feature. Malware on BlackBerry 10 is an urban myth. Even when Kaspersky was offering their mobile security for BBOS it did not include an antivirus.
    I find the app useful for the included Call/ SMS filter. I have been inundated with unsolicited sales calls and texts.
    01-29-14 07:25 AM
    I think you can effectively ignore the anti virus feature. Malware on BlackBerry 10 is an urban myth. Even when Kaspersky was offering their mobile security for BBOS it did not include an antivirus.
    I find the app useful for the included Call/ SMS filter. I have been inundated with unsolicited sales calls and texts.
    Does the Android runtime only run apk's that are not malware? I understand it is sand boxed however when you grant permissions upon installation you make yourself vulnerable.

There are apps in BlackBerry World that provide similar functionality to what you are describing, perhaps they would be a better solution?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:39 AM
    They are all paid apps. I'm less than sanguine abort forking out for what should be baked into an os.
    I know a lot of Android programs possess exploits but I doubt anything from Kaspersky would have malware.
    01-29-14 08:06 AM
    They are all paid apps. I'm less than sanguine abort forking out for what should be baked into an os.
    I know a lot of Android programs possess exploits but I doubt anything from Kaspersky would have malware.
    Oh I like Kaspersky that was my point that other Android programs I am less likely to trust.

"I'm less than sanguine" that's a new one on me I like it. I see your point, I feel like you, but it's a small price to pay if you did want to stay as native as possible. I weigh up the likelihood of when BlackBerry will implement a specific feature against the cost to me of not having that feature in the meantime.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:54 AM
    Using Snap I see two Kaspersky apps. Comments on each of them?
    01-29-14 11:05 AM
    I presume one will be the free version and the other will be the paid for version. If you have a Barclays account they provide the paid for version as part of their mobile Banking package.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-30-14 01:06 AM
    PS Don't load the paid for version. It won't work and creates a conflict if you then try to downgrade back to the Lite version.
    02-03-14 10:36 AM
    If it ain't made for BlackBerry. I'm not down,

Z10 all they way!
    KermEd likes this.
    02-03-14 10:43 AM