THE video app for the PlayBook has finally been released for BB10:
    BlackBerry World - KalemSoft Media Player
    CAD $4.99

KalemSoft Media Player is a full-featured streaming media player that can stream and locally play formats and codecs such as wmv, wma, mkv, divx, xvid, avi, mp4, mp3, ac3, flac, ogg, mov, rm, rmvb, ts, mts, m2ts, asf, vob, jpg, gif, png and many others (see below for limitations). It can play audio/video content stored locally on the device, a remote PC or a UPnP/DLNA enabled device. It can also display pictures stored on the device and on a DLNA server with slide show support. It can even play live content from a webcam, TV card (only analog TV tuner cards are supported) or any other DirectShow compatible capture device attached to a PC.

The streaming function comes in two flavors. In the first method, KalemSoft Media Player can directly stream audio and video files from a UPnP/DLNA enabled device such as a NAS drive without requiring any other server program. The application has been successfully tested with Twonky (e.g., My Book Live, QNAP, etc.), Windows Media, MediaTomb, MiniDLNA (e.g., ReadyNAS) and Tversity servers. A full list of supported servers are available at http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/dlna.html

In the second method, a free application, KalemSoft Media Streamer, can be downloaded from KalemSoft website, www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html, and installed on a remote PC. The content is streamed from the PC to the device in a secure way directly.

KalemSoft Media Player has the following features: all common codec support, favorites list, fullscreen playback, external SRT or embedded SSA/DVB subtitles, various aspect ratios, recording of streamed content on the device (currently for KalemSoft Media Streamer streams only), progressive download, back to back playback of files, shuffle, loop, resume from last play position and many more.

Note that this application WILL NOT PLAY DRM copy-protected content (e.g., Digital Copy, copy protected iTunes, copy protected DVDs).

I can imagine for this form factor a fair bit of work went in to redesigning... so I don't mind paying again, but I wish at least some kind of reduced offer for those of us that have already paid $5-8 for the PB version.

Either way, fills a big gap (video codec and DLNA support)

[sorry, meant to post this in the regular BB10 apps forum, not the official announcement page, but can't seem to delete this and don't want to double post]
    Last edited by primusd; 03-25-13 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info as per guidelines
    sf49ers, nnomad, look30 and 1 others like this.
    03-25-13 10:38 AM
    Disappointed that you have to pay again if you already got it on the playbook.......

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 10:54 AM
    and do you like it on the PB? how is the support ?
    03-25-13 10:57 AM
    Support seemed pretty good at responding , but two of the bugs I reported were still not fixed the last time I checked. It had to do with subtitles and dlna.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:17 AM
    and do you like it on the PB? how is the support ?
    Awesome Media player, one of the best actually. Deserves the price tag but for sure any concessions for Playbook owners would have been welcome. Also we have regular updates for this.

Adding few snapshots here (to get idea for how it will look on BB10 phones):

03-25-13 11:33 AM
    Disappointed that you have to pay again if you already got it on the playbook.......
    Posted via CB10
    Yes me too. Maybe Plex will be free for us.
    03-25-13 11:47 AM
    Does it have support for dts audio? Ac3 audio.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 02:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes me too. Maybe Plex will be free for us.
    +3, Do not plan on buying it again for my Z10.
    shampisang likes this.
    03-25-13 02:59 PM
    How does 5 Canadian dollars equate to 5 English pounds?.... Typically ripped off Britain! That is ridiculous. Shame because it looks a very good app

Currently 1.55 CD :1 GBP
    03-25-13 03:47 PM
    How does 5 Canadian dollars equate to 5 English pounds.... Typically ripped off Britain! That is ridiculous. Shame because it looks a very good app
    Because you guys have more money so you get gouged more.

Posted via CB10
    COPiSEN likes this.
    03-25-13 03:49 PM
    Because you guys have more money so you get gouged more.

Posted via CB10
    You wouldn't think so if you saw my bank balance
    COPiSEN likes this.
    03-25-13 03:52 PM
    Wish it was tied to your BB ID, not planning on buying it again neither.
    Wish you could share the PB version with BBZ10.
    Even better if you could turn your BBZ10 into a remote for skipping songs that are playing on your playbook,
    that is hooked to your audio system.

Though I am glad it's here. It's a great app for people to use and stream their entertainment
    03-25-13 04:20 PM
    Just downloaded it. It's able to play videos that the native player wasn't able to open and for that I am grateful, but it seems that the audio starts to fall out of sync from the video and subs during fast action scenes. Anyone else experience this?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:07 PM
    This is WAY better than the PB version and come one people, why would the developer put time and effort in improving this app if you want it for free.
    I played mkv from SD card and it was flawless. Mp3 playback needs some work but definitely THE best player for media currently on Z10.
    03-25-13 09:39 PM
    Wish it was tied to your BB ID, not planning on buying it again neither.
    Wish you could share the PB version with BBZ10.
    Even better if you could turn your BBZ10 into a remote for skipping songs that are playing on your playbook,
    that is hooked to your audio system.

Though I am glad it's here. It's a great app for people to use and stream their entertainment
    All your purchases are tied to your Blackberry ID but it is developer's discretion to charge you separately for different devices or not. It is no different than other platforms.
    03-25-13 09:50 PM
    That's where you're wrong , PB was a streamer only , this is a PLAYER and streamer. You can actually play a movie in mkv format right on your Z10.
    03-25-13 10:00 PM
    This is WAY better than the PB version and come one people, why would the developer put time and effort in improving this app if you want it for free.
    I played mkv from SD card and it was flawless. Mp3 playback needs some work but definitely THE best player for media currently on Z10.
    The same reason you would provide updates and customer care, post sale.
    I regret buying it for the playbook because I thought they would make the app available for the BB10 under the same "App". And now I have to pay for it again? Now that I have a BlackBerry Z10, I've barely even touched my playbook.
    I get it, they want to make money. But there is a such thing as providing a good customer experience.
    There are other developers who have made their PB apps available to BB10 users for no extra charge.

That's where you're wrong , PB was a streamer only , this is a PLAYER and streamer. You can actually play a movie in mkv format right on your Z10.
    No idea what you mean. I could play movies on the playbook version ad well.
    Posted via CB10
    shampisang likes this.
    03-25-13 10:14 PM
    i would use it if i didn't have to pay for it again. i bought it on playbook, and should have an option to get this one for free. awesome app, mkv support is what i was after and it worked flawless.
    03-26-13 12:26 AM
    i played mkv directly on my playbook with this app. what are you talking about playbook is a streamer???? nope player.
    03-26-13 12:28 AM
    Some of you don't like the fact that you need to pay for the BlackBerry 10 version again. We totally understand this. However, you should be aware that this is a native application, so the user interface was totally redesigned natively without the ease of higher level facilities Blackberry offers such as cascades. Moreover, due to this, there was also a technical limitation behind making it a single application combined with the Playbook version.

This is not the case for non-native apps which cover the majority of App World today. In fact, most of those applications will run right away on BlackBerry 10 without any modification. On the other hand, there are other native apps in App World today which are also being sold separately on BlackBerry 10 probably due to the same reasons.

On the positive side, you get all the performance benefits of a native application with this design decision.

The bottomline is BlackBerry 10 should be considered as a new platform in this case. Hence, we have to charge for it separately. However, you will still get free updates for the platform you purchase the application for.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    03-26-13 04:12 AM
    Does it support subtitles?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 08:56 AM
    Does it support subtitles?

Posted via CB10
    It does but there was a bug on the playbook app where subtitles would overlap each other if you were watching a video that was wide screen. This made it totally unreadable. Don't know if they fixed it for the BB10 app or not.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 09:31 AM
    I can imagine for this form factor a fair bit of work went in to redesigning... so I don't mind paying again, but I wish at least some kind of reduced offer for those of us that have already paid $5-8 for the PB version.
    Thanks for weighing in KalemSoft. As above, I can totally appreciate how much additional effort went into making this for BB10 (vs. PBOS)... and I'm happy to pay something additional for it -- I guess my point was about offering some kind of discount to those who may have already bought it (including those at the non-sale price).

At the end of the day, this is a great app and pretty much meets all my video playing/streaming needs (for audio, its all Neutron MP for me). As such, off I go to appworld for the purchase...
    kalemsoft likes this.
    03-26-13 09:31 AM
    It does but there was a bug on the playbook app where subtitles would overlap each other if you were watching a video that was wide screen. This made it totally unreadable. Don't know if they fixed it for the BB10 app or not.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, that is fixed (on Playbook version too, but Playbook version is still in review queue...)

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    03-26-13 10:43 AM
    Somebody, anybody - prefrebly somebody from Kalemsoft - WHY? I paid for it once on my HP TouchPad, then fair enough, again on my Playbook - but seriously, a third time for my Z10??...

Posted via CB10
    Edit: Read the KalemSoft response from above. Fine then, you win, I'll grudgingly skip a latte today.
    sushistew, sf49ers and kalemsoft like this.
    03-26-13 10:54 AM
435 123 ...