Can someone please explain to me how using iGrann for BlackBerry 10 is even remotely better than using the Android apk file for the official Instagram?

The official version is official. Yeah it's not integrated into the hub or optimised for Q users but other than that it's pretty darn spot on and most of its features work relatively well and smoothly, particularly on 10.2.1.

From what I understand, iGrann doesn't even give you access to the official instagram filters. For me personally that is a huge deal breaker.

I'm not trolling on iGrann or anything like that (although the name 'iGrann' makes me think of some sort of old people type app), but I see a lot of people on CB really excited about this and I'm not really sure why. A crazy amount of downloads in the first 24 hours which is great for the dev but I genuinely don't get it when the Android version works so well on BlackBerry 10.

Thoughts?

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    EarlofEltham likes this.
    01-28-14 12:04 AM
    Native > Port/Android

Yes igrann doesn't have ig filters, video upload or ig direct, but all those are coming in the next update, which the dev is already working on a long with headless notifications, (can u get that on ig sideload? ) ,hub integration (can u get that? ) .....yh and extra features such as download pics and videos and ability to regrann something

I also don't see why would you use for android app if it doesn't work good on a q10??

It may not sound to u like your knocking igrann, but this thread does somewhat come off as it

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Last edited by SirJes; 01-28-14 at 12:18 AM.
    01-28-14 12:08 AM
    As a Q10 user with quite a few Android apps including the official Instagram I must say this. IGrann is better IMHO. If more features come then it blows Instagram APK out of the water. Android and iPhone users I've show iGrann to were impressed and wanted it on their phones. I would like it if Instagram made an official app for BB10 but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. The chance of them porting their app to BlackBerry World is only slightly better. But I don't care because iGrann exists and if it didn't then it would be really sad in BlackBerry World. We as BB10 users need this as much or maybe even more than we need Android ports.

P.S. - #nofilter

Posted via CB10
    ch64 likes this.
    01-28-14 12:31 AM
    I haven't seen such developer(Adrian).. always quick in responding.. I dropped an email too few months back to IG developer and so far I haven't even got an acknowledgement email!!
    iGrann... really?-img_00000020.png

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-14 12:46 AM
    What's there to say: devs love native apps on BlackBerry 10 and loath those dreadful Android ports (says a full-time Android dev btw. – customers doesn't want us to develop for BB10 ).
    In addition the devs of snap2chat, iGrann and Whine are working hard to get all the features to BB10 which the companies behind the services aren't. So they definitely deserve everyone's support!
    R Field, Q10Bold and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-14 12:48 AM
    because the baked in apps simply work better with the phone. Apk files well supported will always have some drawbacks. Sure they work but the chance of having a big glitch is more likely. made for bb10 apps are always going to be better because they are native to the OS that means there are no conversions it simply works. Sure its not instagram itself but you can use the filters from other programs for that and just upload the pic. We want more built for blackberry programs sure these apk files are a good option but always try to push for a native app it will work better and be more insync with the OS.
    01-28-14 12:50 AM
    I didn't even know you could use the Android port. I tried side loading the official apk and it said my camera isn't supported (Z10).

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 12:54 AM
    I'm with the OP.
    Great work that the dev has done, but it's not Instagram.
    The lack of filters is a big thing if you want to sell the app as an alternative and as a way to get people to BlackBerry.
    It's not the just the actual filters, but the way they are deployed. It's easy to scroll through the filters and see how they look etc.
    No editing the photo in one app, load it in, open the native editor, apply this, apply that... I'm getting tired just thinking of it.
    The beauty of Instagram is the simple, effortless way you can add a couple of effects to the photo and then upload it.
    If you're going to use the native editor etc then just take the photo, edit it and share direct to Facebook or Twitter.
    01-28-14 01:05 AM
    I'm with the OP.
    The lack of filters is a big thing if you want to sell the app as an alternative and as a way to get people to BlackBerry.
    It's not the just the actual filters, but the way they are deployed. It's easy to scroll through the filters and see how they look etc.
    No editing the photo in one app, load it in, open the native editor, apply this, apply that... I'm getting tired just thinking of it.
    The beauty of Instagram is the simple, effortless way you can add a couple of effects to the photo and then upload it.
    If you're going to use the native editor etc then just take the photo, edit it and share direct to Facebook or Twitter.
    Yh..its not instagram...

It's IGRANN

IGRANN > Instagram.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    vaioman and coloibarra like this.
    01-28-14 01:15 AM
    I find using Igrann pretty simple of course I get that the picture taking/editing is currently done with the BlackBerry camera app but other than less filters it's not particularly noticeable to me and is fairly quick and looks almost seamless. I know it is better to have official native apps but tbh I'm perfectly happy with Igrann and once the new features are added it will be even better.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:22 AM
    Native apps just rocks better than android ports or web apps!!!!!!!! Period!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:25 AM
    Can someone please explain to me how using iGrann for BlackBerry 10 is even remotely better than using the Android apk file for the official Instagram?

The official version is official. Yeah it's not integrated into the hub or optimised for Q users but other than that it's pretty darn spot on and most of its features work relatively well and smoothly, particularly on 10.2.1.
    You partially answered your own question. The fact is, Instagram hasn't given BB10 a native app and have given no indication (despite certain CB articles promising we would see it happen) that they have any intention whatsoever of supporting our platform. They don't care about BlackBerry users or our business.

The developer of iGrann has worked hard, engaged with the community, listened to feed back, beta-tested, and finally released a very well polished product (for free). It's missing a few features (such as IG Direct which wasn't around until later in the app's development), but the dev is working on those. I suppose he could have held off on releasing the app until they were also added, but then people would be complaining that it takes too long.

I think that the commitment to the platform and the community should count for a lot. The developer didn't even own a BlackBerry phone until after he started working on the app, as I recall he took it on as a challenge.

For me, iGrann is great. It's integrated into the share card, runs nice and smooth, and auto uploads to twitter. I didn't even use instagram before the first beta for iGrann arrived. Now I use it all the time. I don't need IG filters, because I use the service simply for sharing pictures with friends, not pretending to be an artist. To me the tight integration with the OS and the support of the developer are much better features.
    redsaph likes this.
    01-28-14 01:43 AM
    I'm with the OP.
    Good lord... Instagram filters are coming in a later update. So is IG Direct and video. It's just released without it for now so that the app doesn't take too long to release. Stop being such a drama queen. And fyi, have you used the app? Even though the filters incorporates the BB10 filters, the way iGrann puts it into the app is seamless. It all happens within the app. No new window is opened.
    bungaboy, coloibarra and bb10_fan like this.
    01-28-14 02:21 AM
    IGrann functions just the same way you used other native apps..
    That's more important..
    I have both on my phone, and I prefer iGrann.

With iGrann, I can
    - pinch zoom the pictures
    - download the pictures from following
    - black theme
    - regrann (repost) without using other apps to do it..

Bet you still says instagram is better?

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    01-28-14 02:29 AM
    I just don't understand the filter discussion. Get Effetica and use these filters. Much more und much better ones. The integrated of instagram are really cheap.
    01-28-14 02:51 AM
    Sure some people are horny over Instagram. I couldn't care less about it. Igrann will be better then Instagram in a few more updates. Your dumb filters and video.

You can always go iOS or android then complain about something else.
    coloibarra likes this.
    01-28-14 03:39 AM
    I just don't understand the filter discussion. Get Effetica and use these filters. Much more und much better ones. The integrated of instagram are really cheap.
    Absolutely agree. Actually even Effetica Demo (full functional, free, only difference output size is max 600x600 pixels) will do if the only thing you do with your photos is posting them to Instagram. Instagram has what, 20-25 presets?
    01-28-14 04:09 AM

From what I understand, iGrann doesn't even give you access to the official instagram filters. For me personally that is a huge deal breaker.

I'm not trolling on iGrann or anything like that (although the name 'iGrann' makes me think of some sort of old people type app), but I see a lot of people on CB really excited about this and I'm not really sure why. A crazy amount of downloads in the first 24 hours which is great for the dev but I genuinely don't get it when the Android version works so well on BlackBerry 10.

Thoughts?

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    Maybe we do not like android ports and choose to promote and support the native apps/developers instead.

Posted via CB10
    coloibarra, bb10_fan and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-14 04:55 AM
    Yes REALLY!
    Instagram does not work on my Z10.
    No version of it has ever worked! I cannot see the contents of my storage card using IG. NEVER. How would I know which picture to choose??

iGrann has no such problem and is smooth and easy. I have 42GB of data on my card. I am not about to go moving it over and reformat and all that nonsense. iGrann WORKS!!!!!!!!

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    coloibarra and bungaboy like this.
    01-28-14 09:07 AM
    Yes REALLY!
    Instagram does not work on my Z10.
    No version of it has ever worked! I cannot see the contents of my storage card using IG. NEVER. How would I know which picture to choose??

iGrann has no such problem and is smooth and easy. I have 42GB of data on my card. I am not about to go moving it over and reformat and all that nonsense. iGrann WORKS!!!!!!!!

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    dunno your issues. I had it working on Leak without any issues, but uninstalled as soon as official app was released.

I am not a huge instagram/igrann user, but the experience was more pleasant on igrann.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    01-28-14 10:54 AM
    iGrann is much smoother than the sideload. And as other have said, Effetica filters blow the IG APK filters away.

iGrann... really?-img_20140128_090820.png

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1925 | STA100-3 10.2.1.1925
    01-28-14 11:09 AM
    iGrann is much smoother than the sideload. And as other have said, Effetica filters blow the IG APK filters away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140128_090820.png 
Views:	1692 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	242739

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1925 | STA100-3 10.2.1.1925
    and don't forget IG APK can only crop images, Effetica can pad them to post non-square images
    the_igg likes this.
    01-28-14 01:02 PM
    I love iGrann...seriously, what's wrong with you? it's smooth and easy to use. The UI is very neat plus it's NATIVE.

Filters, a deal breaker? There are a lot of filter apps you can use - Effetica, Native BlackBerry filter and Filter mama (I think)

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:08 PM
    Instagram filters SUCKS!! I have to use a 3rd party apps for better filters or just use the native pic filter to edit the pic. IGrann > Instagram
    01-28-14 01:22 PM
    The MODERN display in iGrann plus the dark theme are the TOP REASONS why it is better than Instagram. Works great on Q10!

iGrann... really?-img_1390838621592.jpg

SQN100-3, Manila via CB10 App
    RafiqK, Karan Mohal and bluetroll like this.
    01-28-14 07:22 PM
66 123