As mentioned...I believe I'll wait unless and until things move out of the hypothetical before discussing such details here. However, I respectfully submit that any use of Android whatsoever is inherently more dangerous than any use of Blackberry 10, for reasons you, I, and others have discussed ad nauseum in other threads.
    Lol ad nauseum. Haven't heard that one in a while. The use of that term just makes nauseated.

Posted via CB10
    eshropshire likes this.
    11-17-18 12:23 AM
    I imagine anyone trying to inherit Blackberry's appstore as an a) advertisement sponsored, site, b) or paid app, or c) annual subscription for blanket access, also devote a space for a healthy trade-in of bb10 devices, so that devices can remain in circulation and out of the dumpter for a few or more years. There is relatively little existing marketplace for such a thing.
    They might even centalize links to all things blackberry published to youtube: historical reviews of Blackberry's older devices from users, how-to's and Blackberry sourced videos as well, anything blackberry related.......oh wait a minute, this sounds a lot like if not exactly like Crackberry (minus the appstore though) lol.

(Hardware exchange how?) Many (or at least one) US sites gives you a rough estimate, tells you to ship it, then finalize an estimate trade-in value based on a chart of values....and then they resell, as a complement to a user BlackBerryWorld.
    ...that or on a consignment basis, or bid, ask etc (but better than the existing crackberry format)

Maybe the site also scans the craigslists and kijijji sites for current sell options as well. ....A central hub for all things bb10.(and bbos and playbook)...and even new bb devices? Oh and I forgot, that cobalt thing. Though BB balance as an app, would be excellent solution for the very secure-business minded users.

No doubt developers would prefer a central exchange for their apps to continue to be posted on, rather than or as a complement to their own site.

The other question is....will the bb10 Native development environment (Momentics) (and other BB development tools) , including the Blackberry Simulator still be available after 2020, for any active developer to use and/or download to create or update apps?
    11-17-18 07:30 PM
    or can the dev environment be converted to some other ide platform with relatively little pain?
    11-17-18 07:39 PM
    I imagine anyone trying to inherit Blackberry's appstore as an a) advertisement sponsored, site, b) or paid app, or c) annual subscription for blanket access, also devote a space for a healthy trade-in of bb10 devices, so that devices can remain in circulation and out of the dumpter for a few or more years. There is relatively little existing marketplace for such a thing.
    They might even centalize links to all things blackberry published to youtube: historical reviews of Blackberry's older devices from users, how-to's and Blackberry sourced videos as well, anything blackberry related.......oh wait a minute, this sounds a lot like if not exactly like Crackberry (minus the appstore though) lol.

(Hardware exchange how?) Many (or at least one) US sites gives you a rough estimate, tells you to ship it, then finalize an estimate trade-in value based on a chart of values....and then they resell, as a complement to a user BlackBerryWorld.
    ...that or on a consignment basis, or bid, ask etc (but better than the existing crackberry format)

Maybe the site also scans the craigslists and kijijji sites for current sell options as well. ....A central hub for all things bb10.(and bbos and playbook)...and even new bb devices? Oh and I forgot, that cobalt thing. Though BB balance as an app, would be excellent solution for the very secure-business minded users.

No doubt developers would prefer a central exchange for their apps to continue to be posted on, rather than or as a complement to their own site.

The other question is....will the bb10 Native development environment (Momentics) (and other BB development tools) , including the Blackberry Simulator still be available after 2020, for any active developer to use and/or download to create or update apps?
    It's anybody's guess whether Blackberry Limited will continue hosting the Momentics and other development tools, or whether it will be possible to generate signing keys. But since keys do not require actively checking in with BBL servers once generated, anyone with a key will be able to create and update apps.
    11-17-18 10:41 PM
    Not sure you understood what I said. We absolutely don't trust all the apps on Google Play. But we mistrust 100% of apps from unofficial app stores. We are a cybersecurity strategy consulting firm, so we are completely justified in terminating staff who don't comply with out cyber hygiene policies.

As for FB, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc., we don't have a specific policy because most of FaceBook's abuses relate to privacy rather than security, but a number of our staff have quit Facebook out of a sense of outrage for how their CISO, Alex Stamos, was treated.
    (replied to this earlier however....) As to the privacy and possible security implications of the lack thereof ...for both 3rd party apps and the Web browser as a security endpoint in itself (separate from the actual devices themselves), the inherent lack of privacy may in itself be the security breach for some people in sensitive areas, or even in business espionage....but back to FB...and what BB10 might have been attempting to monetize is an interesting walk back history....and maybe why bb10 maybe shouldn't quite hang up the gloves yet....though it seems to be getting along without the hardware somewhat these days....
    https://dzone.com/articles/a-brief-h...s?fromrel=true
    11-17-18 11:23 PM
    I am offended by the insinuation that Conite has any agenda other than to express his honest opinions, share his knowledge, and support high quality discussions on these forums. Name a single thing he's said that isn't true or accurate. If the facts are discouraging, that's not his fault.

I think it might be possible for someone to set up some kind of site for individuals to access apps from BlackBerry World, but unofficial app stores are either heavily discouraged or flat out forbidden by most enterprises and cybersecurity-aware users. That's a genuine hurdle that such a product would have to understand and respond to. Talking about it IS SUPPORTING the idea with constructive feedback.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    There is no need to feel for you offended...are you Conite's lawyer? Cmon man.... I expressed an opinion. If you feel offended by my opinion, please report my comment. I also appreciate the help Conite is providing to bb10 customers....but here you are taking really personal. And I was never personal....

It would be good maybe if Bla1ze could make an interview to Chen or to some guy on BB on the 'future' of bb10 and bbos. That would be a scoop....something interesting. I think that would make clear many questions....

Posted via CB10
    11-18-18 10:40 AM
    There is no need to feel for you offended...are you Conite's lawyer? Cmon man.... I expressed an opinion. If you feel offended by my opinion, please report my comment. I also appreciate the help Conite is providing to bb10 customers....but here you are taking really personal. And I was never personal....

It would be good maybe if Bla1ze could make an interview to Chen or to some guy on BB on the 'future' of bb10 and bbos. That would be a scoop....something interesting. I think that would make clear many questions....

Posted via CB10
    No, I'm just a member of the community who doesn't appreciate ad hominem attacks on people's integrity without any basis in fact. I thought it would be better to call it out than report you. Next time I'll just do as you suggest.

ppeters914 and eshropshire like this.
    11-18-18 11:18 AM
    let the people use what they want
    I've never once discouraged people from using BB10, unless a requirement has been stipulated as necessary that BB10 cannot accommodate.

This thread is discussing the idea of a 3rd party appstore, and the related security and logistical problems that may result.

Installing a bar file on a BB10 device requires elevated privileges. Either you relinquish it to someone else, or you sideload yourself. There is no third option.
    Last edited by conite; 11-18-18 at 02:19 PM.
    11-18-18 11:59 AM
    No, I'm just a member of the community who doesn't appreciate ad hominem attacks on people's integrity without any basis in fact. I thought it would be better to call it out than report you. Next time I'll just do as you suggest.

There is no attack to anybody, especially against the integrity of Conite. Unbelievable your tone here....
    11-18-18 02:13 PM
    There is no attack to anybody, especially against the integrity of Conite. Unbelievable your tone here....
    It's possible I misunderstood you when you wrote the following:

Conite...are you teasing the people in order to get more access ($$$) to CB forum? I see you pretty concentrated on advertise the BBMO phones.
    It certainly seemed like you were implying Conite was writing from a financial motivation rather than an earnest opinion.

Perhaps you could clarify that statement so I can better understand you.

11-18-18 06:42 PM
    If BBW shutdown, I think the developers should submit. .bars of there free apps in CrackBerry or A new website.

( I am ready to design one for them.)

Let BB10 users live long.

If we Don't do something like that they might shut it down suddenly and we'll get screwed.

Posted via CB10
    I'd definitely be happy to support an external BB10 app site once BBWorld disappears.

Would prefer it if a reputable member(s) of this forum who still uses BB10 is behind it.

Obviously the number of apps available in such a domain would be barely a fraction of what was on BBWorld, but for many BB10 device owners, they only need a few decent apps to keep BB10 passable / relevant.
    dmlis likes this.
    12-04-18 03:14 PM
    Interesting thread. While the sun is still shining, I recommend that people gather all the apps they need, just in case acquisition of new applications proves to be too difficult and dangerous. ☀
    12-16-18 03:46 PM
    Oh yeah a filipino smart guy

Sent from my Secure BlackBerry Classic
    Wachit... filip girl is miss universe and might kick yer ars...
    12-17-18 02:26 PM
    could it be, for those who never have used BBM, that could be a cool repository for some of the most useful bb10 apps ??
    12-17-18 02:29 PM
    could it be, for those who never have used BBM, that could be a cool repository for some of the most useful bb10 apps ??
    How is that any different than BlackBerry World, apart from having to code all of the changes to BBM to accommodate it?
    Last edited by conite; 12-17-18 at 06:45 PM.
    12-17-18 03:04 PM
    ...and will Apple still support my NEXT computer from 1988? What if I lose a floppy disk???? Won't it hurt Apple if they have unhappy customers? I know that it was a completely different company, but Steve Jobs was the CEO at NEXT, so customers expect Apple to support those computers too!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

12-17-18 06:26 PM
    Many things could be cool RLee. However, since Blackberry Limited has already outsourced all non-BB10 BBM functions to Emtek, which is running BBM for the other platforms....it seems unlikely. (That's without taking into account the coding trouble conite mentions.)

Hang in there though; there may be a way.
    12-17-18 06:30 PM
    ...and will Apple still support my NEXT computer from 1988? What if I lose a floppy disk???? Won't it hurt Apple if they have unhappy customers? I know that it was a completely different company, but Steve Jobs was the CEO at NEXT, so customers expect Apple to support those computers too!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

If they'll support your NEXT box, then there's hope for LISA!
    12-18-18 12:49 PM
    Is it a problem for you if the guy wants to create a website for the apps? Are you going to pay for it? No...so allow him to do whatever he wants.

Posted via CB10
    I loved it.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 05:05 AM
    Beyond the fact that there are very few developers left around to even provide their apps for hosting, the security of said store is a serious issue.

Who vets the apps? What scanning tools would be used? I could literally take any Android malware and/or snooping app, convert it to bar, and submit it under a false name.

And let's not even start with the fact that apps would have to be sideloaded onto the device and the technical hurdle that would be for many.

As a user, I would just try and contact some of the developers directly, see if they are still active, and request their bar file.
    So what should I do to make my store Secure.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 05:16 AM
    Beyond the fact that there are very few developers left around to even provide their apps for hosting, the security of said store is a serious issue.

Who vets the apps? What scanning tools would be used? I could literally take any Android malware and/or snooping app, convert it to bar, and submit it under a false name.

And let's not even start with the fact that apps would have to be sideloaded onto the device and the technical hurdle that would be for many.

As a user, I would just try and contact some of the developers directly, see if they are still active, and request their bar file.
    Thanks a lot for your contribution.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 05:18 AM
    As an active Android user I'm surprised you're concerned about this conite, but to address your points:

1. There would be no Android-converted BARs in this site, so no problems there.

2. Should apps need to be sideloaded, that would certainly be something of which to be aware.

3. As mentioned, I am in contact with a number of active developers.

If one is not supportive of alternative ways to host BB10 apps, that's perfectly fine. However, that does not negate such a method's use for the rest of us.
    Thanks dear for the advice.

I'll try my best.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 05:42 AM
    But you'd be asking users to trust you that the site is legit and that the files are the same as existed on BlackBerry World. How on earth could you ever do that? There is literally nothing you or anyone, other than BlackBerry or another major company willing to put its reputation on the line, could say that would make me willing to download anything from an unofficial Web site.

Hey, I'm not a data mining corporation like Google. I'm just a kid who love BlackBerry and I will not force anyone to download .bars from that site if I build one. I just wanted to keep using bb10 smoothly with at least some good native apps.

I just wanted to use BB10 even after BBW is gone.

Thanks for your support.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 06:02 AM
    Is there any way for us to download the installation file from BBW to install any app at any moment?
    01-13-19 04:48 AM
    Is there any way for us to download the installation file from BBW to install any app at any moment?
    No.
    01-13-19 06:00 AM
79 1234