Am I the only one here that thinks someone should create an app that backups the exact placement of our app icons and then can restore them after we load a new leak or restore our phone! That would save so much time and effort.

Posted via CB10
    ami.one, CMcRob, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    01-15-14 11:29 PM
    It's a great idea but in order to do so there would need to be a way to track placement of icons within the OS that developers can tap into and I'm not sure such access even exists. It obviously stores the info somewhere, considering when you reboot all the icons are in the same spot but it's not developer accessible AFAIK.
    CMcRob likes this.
    01-15-14 11:36 PM
    It's a great idea but in order to do so there would need to be a way to track placement of icons within the OS that developers can tap into and I'm not sure such access even exists. It obviously stores the info somewhere, considering when you reboot all the icons are in the same spot but it's not developer accessible AFAIK.
    Ah man. Thought this would be a great idea for a dev. Would help out a lot of people. Having 5 pages of apps, it takes a long time to put them back in order.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rajbir01; 01-16-14 at 11:34 PM.
    01-15-14 11:54 PM
    I 100% agree on this. Drives me nuts on ALL platforms.

It takes me hours sometimes to get my homescreen and apps arranged the way I want. Then I buy a new phone and I'm doing it again. Doing it again. Doing it again.

Been meaning to write about this for a while now. Will getter done sooner than later.

You're not alone!
    FF22, ami.one and rajbir01 like this.
    01-16-14 09:58 PM
    I 100% agree on this. Drives me nuts on ALL platforms.

It takes me hours sometimes to get my homescreen and apps arranged the way I want. Then I buy a new phone and I'm doing it again. Doing it again. Doing it again.

Been meaning to write about this for a while now. Will getter done sooner than later.

You're not alone!
    I'm honored to have CB Kevin post on this thread. Hopefully one day cause rearranging all those icons after every leak is a pain. I do it on the skytrain on my way to work. Makes it go faster

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 11:35 PM
    I started organizing my apps into folders recently. This has helped organize my screens - this said I wish I could color code the folder/icon label - but currently use capital letters in the folder label to help make the folder distinct from app icons.

After moving the icons into the folders - based on what I read here (and via help) - there does not appear to be a method to re-group or consolidate the remaining app icons to reduce the number of sparsely populated screens.

Someone please develop an app for this - or point me towards my solution. Thanks in advance.

Dragging each and every icon forward would be painful.

Posted via CB with the Zthirty STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by BB_makes_it_happen; 01-18-14 at 04:14 AM.
    01-18-14 04:01 AM
    My feeling is the entire ICON interface is eons behind the earlier OS's. There was the ability to define how many lines in OS7, Folders could be colored. There were the Favorites, Media, etc "pages." It is quite tedious to deal with 6 or 7 pages and dragging icons between them a real pain. While SEARCH is handy, you generally need to know what you are searching for.

And, YES, preserving order by Backup/Restore is needed.
    01-18-14 08:29 AM