Loving my z10 and not much of an app guy but my goodness, is anyone keeping watch at BlackBerry world app command center?

I don't see how this can improve BlackBerry image with regards to apps...

Posted from my Z10 using CB10
    03-29-13 05:09 PM
    I'd rather 1000 quality apps instead of 100,000 useless ones.

This isn't a problem that's specific to BB by any means, Android and Apple has loads of crap apps as well. BUT, if Blackberry made it a point to have only very high quality applications available in App World, that could be a significant selling feature and something that sets BB apart from the others.
    03-29-13 05:18 PM
    Exactly...just seems though as BlackBerry is letting pretty much anything through whereas apple for instance seems to be a little more selective.

I cringe every time I browse new arrivals in BlackBerry world.

Posted from my Z10 using CB10
    03-29-13 05:40 PM

This isn't a problem that's specific to BB by any means, Android and Apple has loads of crap apps as well. BUT, if Blackberry made it a point to have only very high quality applications available in App World, that could be a significant selling feature and something that sets BB apart from the others.
    Problem is most people don't perceive it the way you do:
    1 - 100,000 apps sounds good, even if it's meaningless and most people will never touch most of those apps (doesn't matter what they do).
    2 - Refer to problem 1, people only touch a couple specific apps they're looking for. So you are actually better off overall having a higher count than not...
    03-29-13 06:00 PM

Fair enough. But it's too easy to make meaningless statements like this. What we need are some practical guidelines so that only perfect apps get accepted into BlackBerry World. What would a particular app have to look like to meet your stringent requirements? How would you ensure that enough developers would want to submit apps to the market. Don't forget that developers are not all created equally. There is a very steep leaning curve before we become experts. When we start out we tend to have lot's of enthusiasm but not too many requisite skills. I personally think that BBRY has done a magnificent job of balancing the need to attract developers against the need for high quality apps. They are taking a long view with programs like the "Built for BlackBerry" program. At the same time, they took a chance with a first time contributor who submitted a less-than-perfect app two years ago when PlayBook launched. My app is still not eligible for "Built for BlackBerry" but some people have found it useful anyway. If you were in charge of quality control at BBW,. what would you do differently?
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-29-13 06:15 PM
    Don't know if it's workable, but one thing that might help is disallowing all the multiple variant apps and requiring them to be single apps with in-app downloads/purchases for more content or functionality.

Just opened up BlackBerry World and the first thing I saw in the new apps section was 39 apps by one developer. All minor variants on a theme. 8 by another a little ways down. I guess it's mostly coming from the app generator.

It would be interesting to see download stats on "apps" from that in a few months or a year.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:06 AM