The easiest and quickest way to access and use your phone's flash as torch / flashlight. Just double-press the middle Media button (Mute/Play/Pause) to turn flashlight on or off, at any time, even when the phone is locked (if you choose so).

Made to be as simple to use and lightweight as possible, with no unnecessary options that you'd hardly ever use anyway, which would only consume power or CPU time. It is meant to just give you the easiest access to flashlight, and that's what it does.

It's a headless service working invisibly in the background. It takes virtually zero CPU time, memory or battery power. The only power consumption is by the flash itself when you turn it on. The GUI (Settings) part is only needed to configure the program and then it can be closed and forgotten (until you want to change something). The service will also automatically start when you reboot the phone.

Choose between three modes of operation: Always, Only when Unlocked, Only when Locked. The button can be set to be automatically blocked when the device is holstered (in a genuine holster with holster sensor) to avoid accidental flash activation (unlikely anyway, as it's difficult to accidentally double-press the button within 0,5 second - that's why such combination was chosen) and you can enable or disable the camera shutter sound when the flash is being turned on or off. At any time, you can shut down (e.g. to be able to use the button for some other function, e.g. Music Player's Play/Pause) or restart the headless service using the topmost "Service is Active" switch in Settings.

Headless Torch - the easiest/quickest way to use flashlight-headlesstorch.png

Features:
    • native, very small, power and CPU efficient (virtually no resource consumption)
    • works invisibly in the background
    • switch flashlight on/off at any time just by double-pressing the middle button
    • 3 modes of operation: Always, Only when Unlocked, Only when Locked
    • Automatically block the button when the phone is holstered
    • Camera shutter sound (optionally)
    • Only the required permissions: Camera (for flash control), Run in Background (for the headless service)

Price: $0.99
    Link: Headless Torch - BlackBerry World

01-15-16 02:31 AM
    Thanks. Hope some redeem codes will come.
    01-15-16 02:39 AM
    This just works. No freebie codes needed. Good value and genius idea.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    BurningPlatform and MarlonP like this.
    01-15-16 03:35 AM
    Just purchased, and love it. Always fumbling around swiping up and down going from the car to the house at night, this will make it heaps easier. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    BurningPlatform likes this.
    01-15-16 03:47 AM
    Thank you very much guys! I'm so glad that you find this tiny tool useful!

This just works. No freebie codes needed. Good value and genius idea.
    Yeah, I wanted it to just work, with no unnecessary stuff. Thanks to which the headless part uses virtually no resources and it can sit there all the time with no impact on performance or battery... The only peaks in the Device Manager's CPU or battery graphs are when the flash itself is on (and obviously consumes some power) or when the GUI (Settings) part is launched; otherwise the headless part itself is a flat line at the zero level...

I actually also made a version with strobe and SOS signal (and possibility to freely assign them to any of the three buttons) but then I realized that they're of so little use (and they only make the UI cluttered) that I decided not to include them. But they can be easily added anytime, if anyone needs it.

Just purchased, and love it. Always fumbling around swiping up and down going from the car to the house at night, this will make it heaps easier. Thanks
    Right, it's so damn complicated to do it the normal way. It always annoyed me so much that I must say that I'm actually surprised that I decided to make it only now after so many years Funny how with this little addition of my own I love my BB10 phone even more now

If you like it guys, if I may ask, please give it a review in the store for a good start I'll repay it with every possible future improvements and enhancements.
    01-15-16 04:09 AM
    Hope some redeem will be coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 06:02 AM
    2 amit

You're so annoying
    paulwallace1234 and MarlonP like this.
    01-15-16 08:07 AM
    Love it. I wish this had been baked into the OS as unlocking my phone, going into quick settings etc to activate is a real pain, coming home late at night trying to find where to put the key.

And for those asking for a redeem code...come on, it's 99c/75p. Just pleased to see devs still supporting BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 08:24 AM
    Good luck with the app. Thanks for supporting BB10 devices "this late in the game!"

And it sounds like you've already made some satisfied customers!
    01-15-16 09:06 AM
    2 amit

You're so annoying
    Excuse me! We know that it's off-topic. But who are you to judge others negative? It can also be approached positive, right? Let's we stay positive, with respect. Now on-topic. To the developer: Good luck with your new native application. Keep up the good work!
    01-16-16 07:50 AM
    Thanks dev for the excellent little app--just purchased it. I've been looking for something like this for a long time!
    01-16-16 08:08 AM
    Excuse me! We know that it's off-topic. But who are you to judge others negative? It can also be approached positive, right? Let's we stay positive, with respect. Now on-topic. To the developer: Good luck with your new native application. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks it was to support developer.
    I had purchased it but I wanted redeem for others.
    If others thought it's as negative then it's negative but if if you take it as positive it's positive.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by amit kafle; 01-17-16 at 04:40 AM.
    01-16-16 09:34 PM
    Excellent, super-useful utility. I only wish I could assign a different combo to launch the camera app from locked.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 10:55 AM
    All you cheapos hangin' around here asking for a bloody redeem code. Go buy the app. It's $0.99 for Santa's sake. I was hoping that when BlackBerry implemented a system flashlight, all these Flashlight apps would die off. Yours on the other hand, is pretty unique so it deserves a pass

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 11:06 AM
    possible to remap it to things other than flashlight?

I'm thinking it would be nice to use it to toggle battery saving mode/wifi/whatever else I want. I rarely use flashlight myself.
    01-19-16 08:28 PM
    possible to remap it to things other than flashlight? I'm thinking it would be nice to use it to toggle battery saving mode/wifi/whatever else I want. I rarely use flashlight myself.
    Yes, it would be possible to allow switching other things on and off as well. The problem, however, is that not many things are permitted (or made available) to be switched on/off programatically. For example, WiFi can only be turned on but not off. I haven't heard of any way to programatically switch Battery Saving on/off, either. Only Bluetooth can easily be switched on/off, but why would anyone want to do it...
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 01-20-16 at 01:54 AM.
    01-20-16 12:11 AM
    Headless Torch has received a small update to version 1.1.0, bringing a new option to automatically turn off flashlight after selected amount of time.

After the update, if the headless service does not run (flashlight can't be turned on using the button), please simply restart the background service by switching the "Service is Active / Service Disabled" option off and back on. Or restart the phone, or whatever.
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 04-11-16 at 07:01 PM.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-08-16 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the update---I use the app fairly often and enjoy it. Maybe a 30 second turn-off? No biggy!
    04-08-16 01:48 PM
    Thanks for the update---I use the app fairly often and enjoy it. Maybe a 30 second turn-off? No biggy!
    Thank you! Sure, no problem, I'll add the 30 secs option. Or maybe I'll change it so that the user can enter any value he wants.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-08-16 01:53 PM
    Headless Torch is awesome. Only thing I would add is an option for a medium-press to enable flashlight. Before I found headless torch, there was another headless flashlight app that had that as an option, but the app itself would crash anytime I did anything related to using the camera. Instant Torch I think it what it was called. I'd kill to have that option back, I've gotten used to double-tapping the mute key, but I sure do miss my medium-press =(
    05-25-16 10:49 PM
    What is a medium-press?
    06-30-16 09:00 AM
    I finally got around to buying this nice app

Kind of wish there was option that we could set it to other shortcuts (like opening camera from a locked device) but oh well, flash light works great.
    09-05-16 05:05 PM
    I finally got around to buying this nice app
    Kind of wish there was option that we could set it to other shortcuts (like opening camera from a locked device) but oh well, flash light works great.
    Thank you!

Well, I'd like it to remain what it's called, i.e. a (very easy to use and very quick to access) torch app, so I refrain from adding non-torch functionality to it. But there will be an update soon bringing some additional flashlight-related stuff.
    brookie229 likes this.
    09-06-16 11:57 AM
    Saw the update but no obvious changes?
    09-15-16 08:01 PM
    Saw the update but no obvious changes?
    Changes are always listed in Release Notes in the store. When you get an update notification, rather than instantly downloading the file, first open the app page in BBW and you'll see the Release Notes.

Anyway, this update brings new button press watcher code, which no longer conflicts with other apps using the same button. In other words, Headless Torch no longer blocks simultaneous usage of the Media button by other apps, e.g. the Music Player's Play/Pause function.
    brookie229 and eyeb like this.
    09-15-16 08:09 PM
42 12