Things just seem awfully quiet of late in the native app world on BBW. Am I just imagining things, or are devs shifting to Android apps now that BB10 supports 4.3?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Elite1; 06-05-14 at 06:20 PM.
    06-05-14 05:54 PM
    Damn auto correct!

The question was supposed to be, "has native app development stalled?"
    I fixed the thread title for you.
    06-05-14 06:20 PM
    Thanks for the fix. I appreciate it. :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 06:27 PM
    Well this guy seems to be busy ;

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=935186

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z30-5
    06-05-14 06:38 PM
    Trending apps from BBW seems a little light.

Has native app development stalled?-img_20140606_192059.png

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 06:23 PM
    I agree with this. But I believe the demand will come back soon again.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 06:34 PM
    I agree with this. But I believe the demand will come back soon again.

Posted via CB10
    Hope so android ports are working better and better, but native are still miles ahead.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 07:55 PM
    the problem is not many bb10 users are downloading apps it seems like snap2chat as stated in beta zone he only has 130,000 users. That's how many people download snapchat on iphone or android in a month. Google play has 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 snapchat downloads.

Isn't that embarrassing?

it's smart for devs to be making a top 100 of google play apps and reverse engineering it because lots of bb10 users will pay because they are that desperate but there is only 100,000 desperate BB10 users for these social apps that.
    We just have to pay for them instead of getting them for free and not as many features.

I'm really hoping the Z3 took off and those people are going nuts and buying/downloading apps. More apps need to be purchased/downloaded for other big devs to even shake a finger at bb10.
    06-06-14 07:56 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140606_192059.png 
Views:	1854 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	276616
    That's either a problem with the beta version of BB World that came with your beta OS, or BB World thinking most apps are in compatible with your beta OS. My money's on the first.
    06-09-14 04:29 PM
    That's either a problem with the beta version of BB World that came with your beta OS, or BB World thinking most apps are in compatible with your beta OS. My money's on the first.
    Probably.

Has native app development stalled?-img_20140609_173040.png

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 04:31 PM
    Ive started a thread on this a week ago.

Ive noticed that some native apps from big devs have not been updated for a while (3 months plus eg bloomberg, wikipedia)

There are some which have been pulled from BlackBerry app world too, some replaced with an android app which really sucks.

I guess android apps are a thing for now. Hopefully it wont be for too long.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-09-14 04:51 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140606_192059.png 
Views:	1854 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	276616

Posted via CB10
    They always pick the crap apps that no one wants.
    06-09-14 06:17 PM
    Ive started a thread on this a week ago.

Ive noticed that some native apps from big devs have not been updated for a while (3 months plus eg bloomberg, wikipedia)

There are some which have been pulled from BlackBerry app world too, some replaced with an android app which really sucks.

I guess android apps are a thing for now. Hopefully it wont be for too long.

If BB10 supports 98% of Android apps why would anyone wants to buy BB10 apps when Androids apps are free?

Either users are leaving BB10 or they are not buying any apps. I see my sales down 50+% the last two months.
    06-09-14 06:20 PM
    If BB10 supports 98% of Android apps why would anyone wants to buy BB10 apps when Androids apps are free?

Either users are leaving BB10 or they are not buying any apps. I see my sales down 50+% the last two months.
    For a fast, smooth, native cascades experience. Bemaps pro, snap2chat, fasttube are all examples where there are free android alternatives, but their apps are still quite popular.
    06-09-14 11:19 PM

Either people are leaving BB10 or because the android runtime is better everyone has installed android apps instead of installing native.

Also there hasnt been global launches of any devices lately.

The best people to talk about the app situation right now are either BlackBerry themselves or whatsapp devs.

I believe there are more whatsapp users than BBM users even on BlackBerry 10 devices. On BlackBerry world there are 50k reviews on whats app vs 30k reviews on BBM.

I think BlackBerry is focusing on android app compatibility right now, and that kinda sucks for native app devs.
    06-10-14 05:57 AM
    Unfortunately, part of the problem is definitely Android. It may also be part of the solution. And the problem.

Here's the thing. Now that we can load up applications, developers (big and small) know that as well. Knowing that, where is the incentive to code an app to run on Android and native on Blackberry when most Android apps run just fine on BlackBerry 10. And so we get our apps but we don't get native versions of those apps. We may also not get them in BBW since, what the hell, you can get them through Amazon or Snap or 1Mobile.

Then there's Google. BlackBerry has reached out into the Android ecosystem but left us hanging on a lot of Google's world. Much as anyone might not want to admit it, Google is a big part of the world and we need to be able to work with Google. That means Google Play Services, Google Plus, and Google Whatever. We get Android apps, but the ecosystem is incomplete or broken since any number of things need Play Services.

So, what's the answer? We can have our Android apps and that impacts native development and sales. But we can't have all our Android apps since they don't all work, and so things are broken.

I don't think there's any going back now, so we might as well go forward.
    06-10-14 11:35 AM
    I noticed this too. Even the native apps I have that where regularly updated seem to be updated once in a blue moon these days.

I hate android. I've had phones in the past and the operating system is ****e.

Blackberry should never have opened up android apps, it has all but killed native development, effectively killing BlackBerry 10 as a consumer phone and the people that do download android apps will probably leave eventually for that system.

What a criminal decision by BlackBerry imo

Posted via CB10
    jh07 likes this.
    06-10-14 05:46 PM
    Just look at the state of BlackBerry apps for the upcoming world cup, pretty sad.

I definitely feel something has turned recently, like the beginning if the end. Look at how cack the crackberry front page is too.

Maybe these cheapo android motos have finally closed the lid on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 05:50 PM
    "Stalled" is not the right world. When something is stalled then there is a good possibility of getting things moving again, soon. Can you imagine what kind of market share Blackberry would need to get developers to commit resources to BB10 apps again? It would definitely have to surpass Windows Phone since the Android emulation on BB10 is probably considered to be good enough.
    06-10-14 06:14 PM
    Im actually surprised that 3rd party devs arent making the big apps from other platforms and putting it to their advantage like putting ads and or making a pro version.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 09:00 PM
    Im actually surprised that 3rd party devs arent making the big apps from other platforms and putting it to their advantage like putting ads and or making a pro version.

Posted via CB10
    Without a partnership with the big app company then you aren't you going to get any access to key functionality, and your app will probably break on a regular basis as the big app company updates their app. I mean do you really think Starbucks is going to let anyone else distribute or let alone sell their mobile experience. I think many people here vastly underestimate how difficult it is to provide a good app experience. Most of these companies are probably investing hundreds of thousands per year.

As long as you underestimate the investment required then you will continue to be surprised that no one is doing it.
    06-11-14 02:13 AM
    Without a partnership with the big app company then you aren't you going to get any access to key functionality, and your app will probably break on a regular basis as the big app company updates their app. I mean do you really think Starbucks is going to let anyone else distribute or let alone sell their mobile experience. I think many people here vastly underestimate how difficult it is to provide a good app experience. Most of these companies are probably investing hundreds of thousands per year.

As long as you underestimate the investment required then you will continue to be surprised that no one is doing it.
    While I agree with your thoughts, there are some easy wins to be had where the company provides an excellent mobile Web interface.

For example, the uber mobile site is exactly the same as their app. Make a Web works app pointing to their site with some native shortcuts like nemory is doing, and you've got yourself a decent looking/functioning bb10 app you can sell, or place ads on.

I've thought about doing something for a few of these types of sites, but unfortunately my real job keeps getting in the way .
    06-11-14 08:30 AM
    the problem is not many bb10 users are downloading apps it seems like snap2chat as stated in beta zone he only has 130,000 users. That's how many people download snapchat on iphone or android in a month. Google play has 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 snapchat downloads.

Isn't that embarrassing?

it's smart for devs to be making a top 100 of google play apps and reverse engineering it because lots of bb10 users will pay because they are that desperate but there is only 100,000 desperate BB10 users for these social apps that.
    We just have to pay for them instead of getting them for free and not as many features.

I'm really hoping the Z3 took off and those people are going nuts and buying/downloading apps. More apps need to be purchased/downloaded for other big devs to even shake a finger at bb10.
    I want to download it in beta zone but I can't see it and am guessing it is full.
    06-12-14 07:42 AM
    It's never full. U have to get permission

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    06-12-14 12:15 PM
    While I agree with your thoughts, there are some easy wins to be had where the company provides an excellent mobile Web interface.

For example, the uber mobile site is exactly the same as their app. Make a Web works app pointing to their site with some native shortcuts like nemory is doing, and you've got yourself a decent looking/functioning bb10 app you can sell, or place ads on.

I've thought about doing something for a few of these types of sites, but unfortunately my real job keeps getting in the way .
    Wow if he made 1 dollar for every app downloaded he made 130k! Thats not bad at all!

06-12-14 02:32 PM