Hey,

Now that we have easy access to all the android apps, our BlackBerry can have all apps that we ever wanted. This is really great. But, how about virus and stuff? I mean, we all know that Google store is famous because of its malwares. So, if a download apps using snap, amazon store, 1mobile, for example, do I have to worry about virus? Do we need a antivirus now?

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    01-29-14 09:20 AM
    I ahve been downloading android apps from SNAP for over a month. I haven't seen or heard any viruses.
    Worse comes to worse, wipe and reload, right? That's what I do with my PC!
    01-29-14 09:27 AM
    I ahve been downloading android apps from SNAP for over a month. I haven't seen or heard any viruses.
    Worse comes to worse, wipe and reload, right? That's what I do with my PC!
    I've been using snap for two days now and didn't see nothing too. But, it's too soon to say more than that. Thanks.

01-29-14 10:16 AM
    The the thing I dislike about Android apps that it's all or nothing when it comes to Permissions. However, I have been using SNAP for a couple of months too, and it seems safe so let's hope it stays that way.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:48 PM
    This has been my concern too. This is actually why I swiped back to the official release OS. Many of those Android apps want all kinds of permissions and we have no choice as BlackBerry users since we are still downloading apps not made for our OS. I'd stick with the big name apps, though that still doesn't guarantee our privacy is safe.
    01-29-14 06:08 PM
    If you get your apps from trusted sources (Mainly Snap and Amazon) and know that they actually work for a lot on people, you should be pretty safe

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:12 PM
    Yes, I will keep with the big names. Only subway surf and Google translate so far and a must say the apps are running great.

01-30-14 05:46 AM
    I have the same question. I have Snap installed but have yet to load any Android apps. I'd like to know if any viruses or malware files have been found? Is anyone using a virus scan app? If so, which one and has it picked up anything? It's better to be proactive which such things.

VZW Z10 Posted via CB 10
    01-30-14 07:52 AM
    Mine using 1Mobile to download some android apps..
    Is this 3rd party source secure?
    Most of u using Snap or Amazon..

So far it's ok as I've been using it almost a month now... but still I have to be aware about virus etc right?

Do I have to download Anti virus apps as precautions?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 09:36 AM
    So, while in the Amazon app store the creators/source of the app I'm choosing says "Intuit inc." but on the installation page the source changes to another party.

The same situation for my Chase banking app.

I installed the Chase app with permissions and it all looks legit.... still, I know it's not hard to make an app look legit!

I'm hesitant to log into the Mint app cuz,... that's my whole life right there in one place.

I can't say for sure if I paid as close attention to the sources of big brand apps while acquiring them from BBW or the Play Store back in the Droid days.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:28 PM
    So, while in the Amazon app store the creators/source of the app I'm choosing says "Intuit inc." but on the installation page the source changes to another party.

I installed the Chase app with permissions and it all looks legit.... still, I know it's not hard to make an app look legit!

I'm hesitant to log into the Mint app cuz,... that's my whole life right there in one place.

I can't say for sure if I paid as close attention to the sources of big brand apps while acquiring them from BBW or the Play Store back in the Droid days.

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I guess you can reach out to this ACTUAL companies/firms and ask if they have OFFICIAL apps available and if their apps are provided for them by 3rd parties. Yes, I would definitely be reluctant with banking apps! Do not reach out to the support email unless it is a real one associated with the underlying firm.
    01-30-14 12:46 PM

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Someone explained that a while back. Iirc the developer signs the file under a certain developer name and that name is not always the same as the vendor name shown in the app market. Sometimes an app is made by a hired developer or team and they don't always use the name that is used in the app market. BlackBerry 10 just digs deeper and shows that name, I guess. That is what I remember he explained. He even showcased it with two examples.

But just do what F2 said, just to be sure

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 02:19 PM
    Mine using 1Mobile to download some android apps..
    Is this 3rd party source secure?
    Most of u using Snap or Amazon..

So far it's ok as I've been using it almost a month now... but still I have to be aware about virus etc right?

Do I have to download Anti virus apps as precautions?

Posted via CB10
    I would prefer snap or Amazon instead of 1mobile.

01-31-14 12:43 PM