To make it compulsory to make all apps for all devices and not just the usual phones. If BB could sort this out, with Nokia, to get a good share of the market back again.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 04:06 AM
    To make it compulsory to make all apps for all devices and not just the usual phones. If BB could sort this out, with Nokia, to get a good share of the market back again.

Posted via CB10
    And how would you want to enforce or regulate that?
    To be honest, I would love to see companies such as my bank to be required to support all smartphone OSes, but it cannot be implemented in a practical way.

And look at it from the other side: If you just program an application for fun, do you want to be required to make it available on every OS? Maybe you only want to support BlackBerry?

There is no practical way this could be done. The only thing possible is to bug companies - maybe by coordinating requests via say Crackberry and then flooding support with (reasonable) requests/queries, but that is it.
    cheadlender likes this.
    06-03-13 04:13 AM
    I don't know how it could be done, sadly. I do agree that it would be nice to have BlackBerry only apps, but people always go on about 'I've got this, I've got that app' wherever I go. I think the BlackBerry only apps are nice, but only a select few use them. It would be more beneficial to us so no one could say 'BlackBerry is rubbish, it has no apps.'

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 04:31 AM
    I don't know how it could be done, sadly. I do agree that it would be nice to have BlackBerry only apps, but people always go on about 'I've got this, I've got that app' wherever I go. I think the BlackBerry only apps are nice, but only a select few use them. It would be more beneficial to us so no one could say 'BlackBerry is rubbish, it has no apps.'

Posted via CB10
    To be honest I do not really care what applications others have - I only care if I miss something I need.
    I am not sure why people whine about applications that much - either you have the ones you need, or if they are missing you should chase up the application vendor. Anyway...

Coming back to your original problem:
    How would you expect an individual who might write an application for one platform because he/she can and has the time plus idea for it to make that same application available for all platforms?
    I have been toying with the idea of writing an application, BUT I do not have any ideas what, plus a time issue (more important things taking up my life) - so I have not written anything unfortunately. Do I care about apple and android. No, not in the least bit.

And if you look at applications such as BlackBerry Travel - why should they be available on Adroid or apple OS?

I know where you come from, but there is no practical way it can be done. (In fact, at a guess, you will see significantly fewer apps if developers were required to develop for all platforms.)
    06-03-13 06:05 AM
    Yeah, it's a fair point. I don't care about apps, I've survived without them this long, but with the amount of people on here who moan about them, this could sort that out?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 09:54 AM
    Yeah, it's a fair point. I don't care about apps, I've survived without them this long, but with the amount of people on here who moan about them, this could sort that out?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Another problem is see, how do you handle the issue of globalisation? A developer can sit anywhere.

The only "solution" is to bug the app vendors to released a version. To be honest, if there is an android version it can easily be run on the runtime in BlackBerry 10...

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 10:53 AM
    I thought this would be nice and simple! I see the problems are quite vast. Maybe each country has individual rules?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 07:01 PM
    Isn't HTML5 supposed to be the answer to cross-platform support?
    06-03-13 09:27 PM
    If you write a mobile website, yes.
    If you write an application, you would still need to submit it to the different vendors...

It should take some of the complexity of native code away - and you are possibly right that it will make producing cross platform applications easier, but it does not make it automatic. It still requires the developer to be willing or able to support multiple platforms.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 12:48 AM
    Don't believe everything you read. The HTML5 hype is a lot of marketing bullsh*t, usually spread by people who have never written a large-scale real-world production app, but have only tinkered. I know from experience that HTML5 isn't all it promises to be, and is in many ways a step back instead of a step forward.
    06-04-13 07:20 PM
    The HTML5 hype is a lot of marketing bullsh*t, usually spread by people who have never written a large-scale real-world production app, but have only tinkered.
    I agree and disagree . I agree it is a lot of hype. And the term HTML5 is used way too loosely.

But i've also used it for several cross platform contracts with companies. And actually have had one more big one come in.

HTML5 is great *if* you use it for what it is best at. But I agree, don't make any illusions about its "power".

For a basic POS system, basic catalogue style apps, smart tv's and devices etc. There are lots of good reasons where html5 fit the role perfectly and well when implemented right. And it can save a ton in costs and allow for very dynamic cross platform implementations.

But if you build using it for core OS tools, complex games, etc. It is much less robust.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 07:33 PM
    So what exactly is the great idea here?
    06-05-13 03:12 PM