Anyone else using Signal? I didn't realize how functional the Hub is with it. You get notifications and can tap on them to both read and reply to the messages.

I get notifications for regular updates that install without any issues. I can't believe a third party Android app could work so well in 2018.

Maybe there are issues for sending media and other stuff but for my limited purposes it's awesome. I won't use WA for privacy concerns. I won't use anything affiliated with FB.

Posted via CB10
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    12-01-18 02:02 PM
    Good choice
    12-01-18 11:15 PM
    What version did you use, and from where did you download the APK?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-02-18 02:14 AM
    I use it since 2 years. It is very good. I use on my Priv, KeyOne and on my Passport (!). It also has a good desktop version.
    12-02-18 04:34 AM

You can use it from Googleplaystore (also for BB10 with Cobalt's fix).
    12-02-18 04:36 AM

V 4.18.3 from apkpure.

I don't run Google PS. How does this Android app run so flawlessly with BB10 and its Hub? Very cool. I even can read Signal messages on my Vector smartwatch along with everything else.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 06:57 AM
    I should add that I've had trouble with phone calls through the app. But my contact using an Android phone had the same issue where the phone wouldn't ring when I called. It would just appear as a missed call.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 07:06 AM
    You can use it from Googleplaystore (also for BB10 with Cobalt's fix).
    That's worth reinstalling Cobalt's tools, which I removed because of Android app performance being so poor in my Z10. But for Signal, I will reconsider.

12-02-18 07:13 AM
    V 4.18.3 from apkpure.

I don't run Google PS. How does this Android app run so flawlessly with BB10 and its Hub? Very cool. I even can read Signal messages on my Vector smartwatch along with everything else.

Posted via CB10
    What guarantee does apkpure give that an app on its site isn't compromised? I enforce a strict policy against using unofficial app stores.

12-02-18 07:20 AM
    What guarantee does apkpure give that an app on its site isn't compromised? I enforce a strict policy against using unofficial app stores.

Use Yalp.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sergey...-apk-download/

It is a Google Play Store client.
    wlharper2 likes this.
    12-02-18 08:24 AM

.......or if you are not comfy with Apkpure you can get Yalp from F-Droid at: https://f-droid.org/packages/com.git...min.yalpstore/

If you are not comfortable with free and open source then I cannot help.

p.s. I'm a big fan of the F-Droid app store, lol.
    12-02-18 09:57 AM
    .......or if you are not comfy with Apkpure you can get Yalp from F-Droid at: https://f-droid.org/packages/com.git...min.yalpstore/

It's easier to just install Yalp directly without all of the F-Droid nonsense.
    12-02-18 10:10 AM
    It's easier to just install Yalp directly without all of the F-Droid nonsense.
    You can install Yalp from the page I quoted without installing F-Droid.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 10:48 AM

LOL. I'm very, very comfortable with free and open source, and use lots of open source software, but only when I can absolutely validate the supply chain from the developer, or after an extensive code review by my team of white hats.

Under no conditions do I trust a third party other than Apple or Google to validate the source of an app. (I obviously don't trust either blindly, but I have a high degree of confidence that the Signal app in the official app stores was submitted by the developer/distributors.

I am happy taking chances in my private life, but it's my job to minimize risks for my company and clients!

FYI, our policy is that no employee may download any app not white listed by our security team onto any device used with any company data. Violators of this policy are terminated for a first offense.

This is more restrictive than most companies' policies, but in our business, a single data breach of any size must be disclosed and would cost us a minimum of $250K by our risk management estimates. A major breach involving client data could be existential. I won't bend the rules for myself when I may have to fire otherwise good people over them.

Signal, however, is a core communication tool for us, and I would be happy to pay for a code review of a version that runs on BB10 if the version in the Play Store doesn't work, and if any of our staff requests it. For myself, I wouldn't only because it works great on my KEYone.

12-02-18 11:59 AM
    LOL. I'm very, very comfortable with free and open source, and use lots of open source software, but only when I can absolutely validate the supply chain from the developer, or after an extensive code review by my team of white hats.

Under no conditions do I trust a third party other than Apple or Google to validate the source of an app. (I obviously don't trust either blindly, but I have a high degree of confidence that the Signal app in the official app stores was submitted by the developer/distributors.

I am happy taking chances in my private life, but it's my job to minimize risks for my company and clients!

FYI, our policy is that no employee may download any app not white listed by our security team onto any device used with any company data. Violators of this policy are terminated for a first offense.

This is more restrictive than most companies' policies, but in our business, a single data breach of any size must be disclosed and would cost us a minimum of $250K by our risk management estimates. A major breach involving client data could be existential. I won't bend the rules for myself when I may have to fire otherwise good people over them.

Signal, however, is a core communication tool for us, and I would be happy to pay for a code review of a version that runs on BB10 if the version in the Play Store doesn't work, and if any of our staff requests it. For myself, I wouldn't only because it works great on my KEYone.

Yep I'm totally aware of your requirements. You can easily verify any app from F-Droid. There are in some cases minor differences in apps from the G play store, Telegram comes to mind but since they are open source the code can be verified and confirmed by competant people (so I'm told anyway) . Probably easier just to use Play Store in any case as conite suggests. I personally like the stripped down version of Telegram from F-Droid but that is for my personal use and I don't use it often.

By the way, I have used Signal on my Passport and I agree with the OP that it does work well. I just can't convince a couple of my contacts to try it, lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-18 12:22 PM
    Yep I'm totally aware of your requirements. You can easily verify any app from F-Droid. There are in some cases minor differences in apps from the G play store, Telegram comes to mind but since they are open source the code can be verified and confirmed by competant people (so I'm told anyway) . Probably easier just to use Play Store in any case as conite suggests. I personally like the stripped down version of Telegram from F-Droid but that is for my personal use and I don't use it often.

By the way, I have used Signal on my Passport and I agree with the OP that it does work well. I just can't convince a couple of my contacts to try it, lol.

Posted via CB10
    Signal is awesome. It just checks all the essential boxes for me, with no negatives.

It's what BBM SHOULD have been.
    12-02-18 12:27 PM
    ...except, I wish Signal allowed the use of anonymous PINs instead of Phone #s like BBM.
    12-02-18 12:35 PM
    Direct APK download:

https://signal.org/android/apk/
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-02-18 01:03 PM
    ...except, I wish Signal allowed the use of anonymous PINs instead of Phone #s like BBM.
    Maybe that will help..

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/...-phone-number/
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-02-18 01:09 PM
    Thanks. I have that configured, but I really like the way BBM only allowed PINs previously. Obviously, WhatsApp has won the battle of convincing people to share their phone numbers with marketers.
    12-02-18 01:18 PM
    Direct APK download:

https://signal.org/android/apk/
    Thanks. Can you confirm if it works on BB10? If not, I can test it easily tomorrow.
    12-02-18 01:33 PM
    Thanks. I have that configured, but I really like the way BBM only allowed PINs previously. Obviously, WhatsApp has won the battle of convincing people to share their phone numbers with marketers.
    Have a look at Threema. https://threema.ch
    12-02-18 01:35 PM
    Have a look at Threema. https://threema.ch
    Thanks. I like everything I've heard about Threema. Of course, it's hard to evaluate the security and encryption implementation of proprietary software, but they certainly say all the right things.
    12-02-18 01:55 PM
    Thanks. I like everything I've heard about Threema. Of course, it's hard to evaluate the security and encryption implementation of proprietary software, but they certainly say all the right things.
    I use it since its beginnings. On BB10 you cannot use the version from Google Play Store. You must use the version from Amazon App store. Threema has some restrictions on BlackBerry 10. Look at the "Help"-files.
    12-02-18 02:05 PM
    I use it since its beginnings. On BB10 you cannot use the version from Google Play Store. You must use the version from Amazon App store. Threema has some restrictions on BlackBerry 10. Look at the "Help"-files.
    That's fine. I'd use it on my KEYone. I generally avoid Android apps on BB10.
    12-02-18 02:07 PM
27 12