would it be possible to enable pinch to zoom
    or change font size?
    Pinch to zoom is one of the first thing that was added to the new version I am testing.
    06-14-13 03:19 PM
    Too much awesomeness in one app
    06-15-13 06:05 AM
    Too much awesomeness in one app

I have long tried to figure out what functionality this particular app brings to the table that simply using the native web browser and opening the mobile version of Gmail does not.

And I have been following this thread because somehow or other it seems like this app is interesting, but I can't exactly figure out why yet.

The "push notification" thing doesn't interest me because I can get that with BB Hub/IMAP/EAS. The App Lock thing doesn't interest me because I don't need to hide things from people.

So for me at least it basically seems to come down to having a different UI to work w/ Gmail, instead of using BB Hub. What I can't figure out is how different it is from just using the native browser.

Can someone elaborate on this for me?
    06-15-13 06:15 AM
    I guess the same reason every android phone comes with Gmail app, not just the browser. The app does essentially the same thing but is easier to use
    06-15-13 08:15 AM
    Wrong thread sorry
    06-15-13 08:15 AM
    @Omnitech,

The differences between EFGG (EmailForGoogleGmail) and BB browser pointed to Gmail web page are:

- EFGG has a dedicated browser for Gmail. It is not a tab on the browser you use for browsing lots of other things.

- EFGG gives your gmails full screen. No bar at the bottom of the screen like the BB Browser. This is more important for Q10 and Q5 devices with smaller screen.

- EFGG can be kept running as a tile. If you use BB Browser for your gmails, then after browsing other sites, you should close other tabs keeping the Gmail Tab running. This is time consuming. If you choose to close the BB Browser, it takes long time to open and log into the Gmails again. EFGG as a tile brings your gmails right away as soon as you bring it to foreground.

- EFGG has app lock. No one can pick up your Z10 and read your Gmails. If you use BB Browser for your gmails, even if you close the browser, anyone can pick your BB, open BB Browser, point it to gmail address and see/read your emails and write posing as you.

- EFGG has active frame icon change when you get email indicating that you have received email.

- EFGG has active frame indicators for memory and battery and date. BB Browser doesn't have that.

- EFGG listens to the notification emails in the BlackBerry Hub, cleans the old notification emails, and each time it gets opened it sets the last notification email in the hub as Read.

- EFGG (version 1.2) has menu item to switch between gmail accounts. It takes long time to switch between gmail accounts if you use BB Browser.

- EFGG (1.2) opens your Google Tasks. The link for Google tasks is broken if you use BB Browser.

- EFGG (1.2) is NFC enabled. No need to find this app in the app grid and launch it and then open Google Calendar from it. Just tap a tag to do all that.

- EFGG (1.2) has menu item that gives users quick access to Starred and Sent Folder.

- more features will be added to EFGG over time to make things easier for users. The BB Browser will not add anything to improve your Gmail browsing experience, in contrary to this app.
    06-15-13 09:36 AM
    The new version (1.2) of EmailForGoogleGmail is now submitted to BB World.

New in 1.2:

- Can attach files to your gmail now.

- Can pinch to zoom gmails (You can still zoom in and out the web pages you browse into using this app).

- Added setting to turn off PinchToZoom for gmails if and when user prefers easier email browsing over zooming..

- Date format on the Active Frame has this format (DayOfWeek, MonthName DayOfMonth, Year)

- Tapping NFC tag can now launch this app in Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Tasks, Google News, Google Translate, Google Docs, or Google Books view.

- Added a NFC page to create NFC tags for this application.

- Added Custom App Menu with 3 rows to provide fast access to most used functions.

- Added menu item for quickly opening Emails, Calendar, Tasks, Starred Messeges, Sent Messages for the main gmail account.

- Added menu item for quickly opening second, third, forth and fifth gmail accounts.

- Quick access to ShortcutMe and MyProfielsPro if you have them installed.

- Added Invite To Download menu to let you invite your BBM friends to download this app.

version 1.2 should be available as free upgrade from BB World within the next 7 days.
    06-15-13 12:50 PM
    Thanks for those lists, Vijik.

I hadn't seen such a listing in the past, though obviously that whole list would be difficult to include in the app description on BBworld.

Might be useful to have a link somewhere to an "Advantages over using native browser for Gmail" page, for people curious about that.
    06-15-13 08:19 PM
    @Omnitech,

Will add something to the description about this because, as you pointed out, many might wonder about the same thing.

Thanks for the good advise.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 06:04 AM
    Hopefully all of you have updated 1.2.1 by now.

For the new Google Tasks menu item :
    If you run BB10.0 then Tasks will not render %100. You will then need to move the screen to the left to see rest of the page.
    If you run BB10.1 or 10.2 Tasks will render correctly.

Also, now that Pinch to zoom is working for Gmail, make sure that you move your finger up/ down (without left/right component) on the screen when you want to browse emails up and down.
    Of course if you choose to disable PinchToZoom in the Settings page, then you don't need to worry about the above note.
    06-19-13 05:23 AM
    EmailForGoogleGmail version 1.3.1 is now ready for download from BB World.

New in version 1.3.1:

- Four raw Custom App Menu with even more handy gmail shortcuts.

- Added Inbox, Starred, Sent, Unread and Drafts menu item. These items are now working on your current gmail account and not only on your main gmail account.

- Nicer and cleaner Options page.

- Added keyboard shortcuts for BB Q10 and Q5. This makes it easier and faster to use your gmail accounts. Hit $ to see shortcuts.

- Warning page when important app permissions are not set.

06-24-13 05:34 AM
    Working on yet another new version that has Custom Menu Item (Menu items you can set their name, icon and functionality). Those will help you for example to have shortcuts for your Gmail Labels in any of your gmail accounts.

It also shows you Contacts for your main gmail account.
    06-26-13 01:47 PM
    Version 1.5.0 of EmailForGoogleGmail is now ready for download.

New in 1.5.0 (comparing to 1.3.1):

- Added Page 2 to App Menu! Page 2 has 16 User-Customizable Menu items where you can set it's name, icon and get it to launch the last opened page. One example for using these custom menu items is when you select to see label X in one of your gmail accounts. You can then get one of these menu items to directly launch gmails with that label in that gmail account. The other example is that you can get the custom menu as a shortcut to a web page you use to check.

User Customizable Menu Items

- Added menu item for opening Gmail Contacts

User Customizable Menu Items

- Version 1.5.0 can now detect and show what Gmail account (account 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) has got new emails (requires a minor change in the script for each Gmail account).
    If you go to the Options page of the app and select 'BB NotificationEmail' and hit the key 'Open Web Page for Push Notification' button, you see step 5. Follow that to add notification email for your other gmail accounts.

When you get new emails in gmail accounts 1 and 3

New emails in gmail accounts 3 are still not checked
    07-01-13 06:02 AM
    EmailForGoogleGmail is now updated to version 1.5.2

1.5.2 is able to show you how many new emails you have received in each of your 5 gmail accounts.

1 new email in gmail account 1. And 1 new email in gmail account 3
    07-09-13 05:49 AM
    Version 1.5.3 is approved.
    This version has very few improvements over 1.5.2
    It was actually meant to be the one approved bypassing 1.5.2, but BlackBerry App World has this time decides to approve them one by one.

Anyway, upgrade to it to have the latest fixes.
    07-10-13 07:50 AM
    Great app, awesome support had issues developer got back to me in an hour or less. Probably the first app I bought after bebuzz
    Vijik likes this.
    07-10-13 11:17 AM
    Version 1.5.5 of EmailForGoogleGmail is approved by BlackBerry World. It should show up as an available upgrade within the next 12 hours.

New in version 1.5.5 :

- Each App Menu Item has a LongPress function now.
    That means you can long press a menu item to see what it does.
    This should be useful for new users, and also for current users when new menu items are added or when you are not %100 sure on what a menu item does.

- Added Zoom menu item.
    On BB 10.0 and 10.1 it is suggested to turn off the PinchToZoom When you don't want to zoom in or out of Gmail pages. This menu item let you switch PinchToZoom easily.
    We have tested BB 10.2 leak and it looks like that on 10.2, the HTML5 is improved, or at least changed to work with Gmail, so you don't need this if you install the leaked 10.2.
    (you can always PinchToZoom other pages. PinchToZoom setting is only for Gmail pages).
    07-15-13 07:58 AM
    The fact this "app" is still getting traction is very bad. With all this updates you could have had built a full native gmail app from the Google APIs. I hope you will eventually step up and start to offer something useful in a coming future.

GoMusic should be your inspiration on how an app should be.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:16 AM
    Forgot to say that Q10 and Q5 users have now version 1.5.5) one additional keypad shortcut, Z. It can switch PinchToZoom On and Off.
    07-15-13 08:20 AM
    @Artrnais,

Instead of having a Music app being inspiration for an email app, we had Gmail app on the Android and the Gmail app on the BlackBerry OS 7 as a model and to find out what to do and what not to do.

And the result is this APP, that has best (possible) of the both worlds. And it will keep getting better (kind of team work between us, Google and BlackBerry) .
    07-15-13 10:40 AM
    Since an update (I believe the one that brought pinch to zoom) notifications stopped working.

May be coincidence
    07-16-13 04:43 AM
    Since an update (I believe the one that brought pinch to zoom) notifications stopped working.

May be coincidence
    Do you get notification emails in the Hub?
    07-16-13 05:51 AM
    For those of you who have installed one of the 10.1 leaked OS versions :

If you see that browsing through your Gmails in this app is veeeery slow, turn off PinchToZoom and only turn it on when you need to zoom in and out. The problem is most likely due a bug in the Cascades component in the OS you are running.

If you have installed the 10.2 leak, then you should be fine.
    07-16-13 05:57 AM
    No
    That's what I am saying

I used to get them and I haven't changed anything apart from upgrading your app every time a new version is available
    07-16-13 06:16 AM
    No
    That's what I am saying

I used to get them and I haven't changed anything apart from upgrading your app every time a new version is available
    Notification Emails should come to your BlackBerry regardless of this app.

Try deleting and re-adding the email Account you have added on your BlackBerry (BlackBerry Options, Accounts).
    Let me know how it goes.
    07-16-13 07:04 AM
137 ... 23456