I'm frustrated with all the current choices. On my old BB9700 I used the Trimble Geocaching Navigator for three years until they dropped support of it. I used cachesense for almost a year on my BB9900 and was happy with it. Now Im on a BBPassport and can't find a reliable alternative.

On my Passport, I've downloaded from Blackberry World where available, sideloaded a few, or downloaded through Snap.

Geocaching app won't even start up for me. It thinks I don't have location services running (I do), and it just spins on the opening screen.
    c:geo looked promising, but crashes about every three minutes and is therefore very unreliable in the field.
    I tried Locus Maps and Geocaching4Locus, but it has a very busy and non-intuitive interface. It does weird stuff likes shows three identical copies of every cache. If I solve a cache, it will clear one of the three listings, but leave the other two copies active. It has not compass or radar mode, so even bushwhacking needs to be done in map mode. It may hold some promise, but I'm not convinced.
    Cachesense seemed the most likely choice, so I've been working with it in past weeks but it has some really frustrating problems and I'm only using it because I have no other good alternatives. The interface is far less intuitive than the old Blackberry u/i; I have no idea why they changed it. Cachesense will often just hang when trying to find "Nearest" caches. It also doesn't reliably update cache details and coordinates. (i.e. if I've downloaded a puzzle cache, and then return to my home computer to solve the puzzle and post final coordinates, Cachesense doesn't update the cache on my mobile device, even if I explicitly hit the refresh button.

It's often pretty frustrating, but at $5, Cachesense is the best alternative I've found so far for my Passport.
    11-25-14 08:57 AM
26 12