Ok, so please read this whole thing before replying because I already know what replies I will get if you don't. A feature I really want to have that BBOS had was for the existing profiles to be holster sensitive. Again, please read, I am NOT talking about switching profiles based on the holster. I know there are apps for that. I don't want it to physically switch profiles because there are times where I need my phone to not make any noise at all, and others where I do regardless of the holster. What I want is that whatever profile your phone happens to be in at the time, I can customize what it does while in holster and while out of holster.

For example, while the phone is in normal profile, while in holster I want to hear the sound and feel vibration. While out of holster just hear the sound and no vibrate. While in vibrate only profile, nothing changes between holster and out of holster, always vibrate only.

The problem with the apps that physically change profiles is that if I have my phone on vibrate only like while watching a movie or while at work, if I have it set to change to a profile that makes sound and vibrate like I would want every other time, it would switch to that. Then my phone will no longer be silent while in a movie (well, I don't take my phone out during a movie anyway) or at work. Then with these apps, it'll automatically switch my profile when I reholster, meaning it'll go from whatever I need my phone to be in to whatever profile I set for the in-holster profile. So those apps do not work for me.

Anyone know if it's possible for a 3rd party app to make the phone behave in the manner I want?

Maybe a profile switcher like the other apps but make it only work when the phone is in normal profile? So while it's in vibrate only it'll ignore the holster app?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-13-16 11:02 AM
    I guess the answer is yes then? It's absolutely impossible to accomplish.

04-15-16 10:34 AM
    To my knowledge, a third party app can, with the appropriate permission, easily switch phone profiles. It can also tweak phone profiles...but only to further restrict them. It has no query capability to discover or modify user added profiles. It cannot access or change application specific notification settings (other than its own).
    So, for example, if you look at the profile for "vibrate only", you can't manually change the top-level "sound" or "vibrate" settings. An app is restricted in the same way and can't change these as they are fixed for that profile.

What I want is that whatever profile your phone happens to be in at the time, I can customize what it does while in holster and while out of holster.
    Yes to further restrict the profile.

For example, while the phone is in normal profile, while in holster I want to hear the sound and feel vibration. While out of holster just hear the sound and no vibrate. While in vibrate only profile, nothing changes between holster and out of holster, always vibrate only.
    This specific use case should be possible.
    04-15-16 04:22 PM
    To my knowledge, a third party app can, with the appropriate permission, easily switch phone profiles. It can also tweak phone profiles...but only to further restrict them. It has no query capability to discover or modify user added profiles. It cannot access or change application specific notification settings (other than its own).
    So, for example, if you look at the profile for "vibrate only", you can't manually change the top-level "sound" or "vibrate" settings. An app is restricted in the same way and can't change these as they are fixed for that profile.

Yes to further restrict the profile.

This specific use case should be possible.
    I think it should be right? Even if you don't try to modify the profiles themselves through the app, making an if/then exception to the app's function should make it possible to do what I want it to do. Because I can simply make a two separate profiles where one is with sound and vibration and the other with sound but no vibration, so the app simply switching profiles would work, but for it to not interfere when I need my phone to not make any sound, just program an option into the app where it'll stop functioning and will not change profiles if the phone is currently in silent or vibrate only... I hope one of the app developers would do this, but unfortunately I haven't found a developer who was willing to take new ideas. Rather they just respond to user comments who are talking about new or updated features they were planning on doing anyhow...

04-23-16 10:35 AM
    I think I read an article a while ago suggesting something like this could be accomplished using NFC and smart tags. Add a smart tag to the holster for the profile you wanted.

 Passport via CB10
    04-23-16 05:59 PM
    Funny... I was just thinking about this today too. We'll, not exactly this but something very similar. I just recently started using the holster (I've had it for sometime but just started using it) and find it to be a very nice way to carry around my Classic.

I really like the idea of being able to change the sound profile while holstered and for the exact same purpose - vibrate while in holster but not when out.

For me, what I was trying to achieve was to prevent it from turning on the display. Maybe I'm just missing an option but I couldn't find it anywhere (display settings, advanced interactions, and even notification profiles after stumbling across this thread). I couldn't find really anything for holster settings and that's too bad. Personally, I think I would like the screen to come on but I wouldn't necessarily like it to leave the lock screen you can preview all of your recent notifications from that screen. From my homescreen, which it opens directly to when I open it, I then requires a gesture to get to the Hub and then of course another to filter to unread. For a quick check of notifications, I like the clean interface of the lock screen and I don't like how it 'skips' this screen when I take my device out.

Anyway... Sorry to rant about my own gripes in your thread but I think it just lends to the fact that there SHOULD be holster behavior options. I think a category of its own in 'advanced interactions' would make a lot of sense.
    04-23-16 06:42 PM
    Well, to ask for the OS to be updated with new features now will be a pointless fight. Which is why I'm asking if app developers can do these things.

04-24-16 11:44 AM
    Well, to ask for the OS to be updated with new features now will be a pointless fight. Which is why I'm asking if app developers can do these things.

You don't need an app developer to do this. You can create a smart tag and add it to an NFC tag.

Is this function impossible??-img_20160424_173913.png

Is this function impossible??-img_20160424_174212.png

 Passport via CB10
    04-24-16 04:46 PM
    You don't need an app developer to do this. You can create a smart tag and add it to an NFC tag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160424_173913.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	398083

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160424_174212.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	398084

 Passport via CB10
    Ok, I don't want to insult you by automatically assuming that you didn't read what I wanted correctly so let me ask you. By using the NFC, can you make it so that it ONLY switches profiles while you have your phone in Normal and not in vibrate only or silent? Like I've described several times, when my phone is set to vibrate only, it's because I'm in a setting where I don't want my notifications audible, so I don't want the action of removing my phone from the holster changing to the profile I want it to change to when I want my notifications to be audible... So when my phone is on normal, it'll be vibrate and sound in holster and sound only out of holster. But while my phone is in vibrate only, regardless of holster status I don't want that to change. A simple NFC tag to switch profiles would change my profile no matter what.

Also, you know your NFC antenna turns off when your phone senses the magnet in the holster as a security measure against people stealing your info through NFC while your phone is on your hip, so wouldn't that render any NFC/smart tag in the holster pointless?

Simply changing profiles with holster status is already possible through several apps, but what I need goes beyond just that. So is that possible with the NFC method given all of this?

04-24-16 05:03 PM