Oh I was afraid of that. Thanks for the confirmation. Well I will still use Evolution Browser, but I look forward to Verizon finally pushing out 10.2.

I haven't worried too much about the tabs yet, but I agree opening links in new tabs makes sense. (That's how I've always used Firefox on my PCs. )

Yes, that's a 10.2 feature.

Posted via my Q10, still on 10.1.0.4189
    01-05-14 07:19 PM
    OK so I read through as much of this thread as I could but I couldn't get all the way through this. Forgive my impatience.

Is it possible to set this browser as "default" so it opens when I click a link from email or other sources?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:05 PM
    Never mind. Found the answer.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:17 PM
    That was my question too. Apparently you can, but only if you're running 10.2. Scroll up 2 or 3 posts from this one to see how.

OK so I read through as much of this thread as I could but I couldn't get all the way through this. Forgive my impatience.

Is it possible to set this browser as "default" so it opens when I click a link from email or other sources?

Posted via CB10

01-07-14 07:19 PM
    Or never mind. :-D

stauren1203 likes this.
    01-07-14 07:20 PM
    After using it for about a month, I much prefer the Evolution Browser to the generic BB10 browser, especially for its superior readability & the ad-blocking feature.

One thing I have not figured out how to do: can I choose to block the few ads which have gotten through the ad filters? I'm comparing this capability to Firefox's AdBlocker plugin. For instance I see ads on Amazon's website. Can I manually create filters to block them?

Many thanks for any help!

01-22-14 03:29 AM
    One thing I have not figured out how to do: can I choose to block the few ads which have gotten through the ad filters? I'm comparing this capability to Firefox's AdBlocker plugin. For instance I see ads on Amazon's website. Can I manually create filters to block them?

Not that I know of.

Unfortunately the maintenance status of this app is unknown. The developer a few months ago left the impression he was abandoning BlackBerry development entirely, after having been very enthusiastic for much of 2013.

Recently the app very occasionally gets a minor update with unspecified changes, but the developer hasn't bothered to post in this thread for months and it appears that significant development has stopped.

Sometimes I wish he would just sell or pass it to another developer that would re-start active development.
    Ragbert likes this.
    01-23-14 05:05 AM
    Thanks for your reply, Omnitech. It is certainly disappointing if this fine browser has really been abandoned! It is a much better experience overall than the BB10 browser, and I'd been hoping for some updates. BlackBerry should either buy this browser or incorporate some of its features into its own browser.

Not that I know of.

Unfortunately the maintenance status of this app is unknown. The developer a few months ago left the impression he was abandoning BlackBerry development entirely, after having been very enthusiastic for much of 2013.

Recently the app very occasionally gets a minor update with unspecified changes, but the developer hasn't bothered to post in this thread for months and it appears that significant development has stopped.

Sometimes I wish he would just sell or pass it to another developer that would re-start active development.

01-23-14 06:30 AM
    Thanks for your reply, Omnitech. It is certainly disappointing if this fine browser has really been abandoned! It is a much better experience overall than the BB10 browser, and I'd been hoping for some updates. BlackBerry should either buy this browser or incorporate some of its features into its own browser.

Don't get me wrong - it's still very useful, I consider it essential in some ways.

It would just be so easy to make it way more useful.

My "Top 3" wish list:

1. "Open in new tab" feature
    2. Customizable ad-blocking
    3. Fix truncation/corrupting of long links passed via "share with/open in" link passing
    01-23-14 07:06 AM
    Oh yes, I completely agree regarding its usefulness and I intend to keep using it as my default mobile browser. I agree wholeheartedly with your wish list as well, and I would add to it better implementation of video and Flash.

Don't get me wrong - it's still very useful, I consider it essential in some ways.

It would just be so easy to make it way more useful.

My "Top 3" wish list:

1. "Open in new tab" feature
    2. Customizable ad-blocking
    3. Fix truncation/corrupting of long links passed via "share with/open in" link passing

01-23-14 03:08 PM
    Not that I know of.

The universal but unfortunate reality of software development. Given the state of BlackBerry I am not surprised if the developer lost his enthusiasm and moved on. If that were the case, best of luck to Shao128.

Or open-source the code so that they could be picked up by other developer(s) without too much hassle.
    01-23-14 03:31 PM
    Optimistic me... maybe someone who knows this developer will tell him to check in here and see how much momentum BlackBerry has picked up over the last couple of months! :-)

The universal but unfortunate reality of software development. Given the state of BlackBerry I am not surprised if the developer lost his enthusiasm and moved on. If that were the case, best of luck to Shao128.

Or open-source the code so that they could be picked up by other developer(s) without too much hassle.

01-24-14 04:14 AM
    new update on my Z10 as of Feb 21, 2014 now has a "identify as" function so you can set it to android or iphone or even chrome or ie desktop, did not see this before. very nice!
    02-21-14 06:08 PM
    new update on my Z10 as of Feb 21, 2014 now has a "identify as" function so you can set it to android or iphone or even chrome or ie desktop, did not see this before. very nice!
    That's been there for ages

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 06:52 PM
    That's been there for ages

Posted via CB10
    thanks, then what were the update on the latest version?
    02-21-14 11:22 PM
    thanks, then what were the update on the latest version?
    I've had it deleted for a while but it appears Password Protecting the app is new.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 11:29 PM
    Still no ability to open links in new tab? Is this feature really so hard to implement?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 12:02 AM
    Seems quicker, nice to see an update as I thought Shao had abandoned this. Wish there was a quick way to get to the top of the webpage like on the default browser and that I could see the scroll bar a bit better but I think I may use this as my default now.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    02-22-14 01:25 AM
    Yes, what a pleasant surprise to see an update for this! Password is new, and perhaps the option to toggle AdBlocking off and on also? I don't recall having it before.

Seems quicker, nice to see an update as I thought Shao had abandoned this. Wish there was a quick way to get to the top of the webpage like on the default browser and that I could see the scroll bar a bit better but I think I may use this as my default now.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app

Posted via my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.1.0.4189
    02-22-14 01:50 AM
    Is buffering video faster on this browser than the original browser?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:20 AM
    Seems about the same to me? I don't watch much video on my phone, though.

Is buffering video faster on this browser than the original browser?

Posted via CB10

Posted via my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.1.0.4189
    02-22-14 08:52 PM
    Keep your fingers off this browser! It's slow, sluggish, doesn't support flash and has all other kinds of bugs and annoyances!
    If you report this or make other constructive comments in BBW, your comments will be deleted by the dev! I wasted my money on this browser because there were almost only 5* ratings (few 4*). The I figured that everything else is deleted by the dev. himself! ShaoSoft is screwing the whole community and nobody does anything to prevent this fraud! I hope we can get this guy out of business somehow!
    02-25-14 11:28 AM
    Is the browser really that bad? Some reviewers are posting a lot of positive remarks that are the opposite of yours. I'm tempted to try it out... with that said I agree it is quite shady of the developer deleting out any criticism. When CB article first hit a number of members posted some negative remarks w the Evo Browser and now they are all gone leaving the app rating at 5 stars. Why would BBW. Allow the dev to remove comments?

Keep your fingers off this browser! It's slow, sluggish, doesn't support flash and has all other kinds of bugs and annoyances!
    If you report this or make other constructive comments in BBW, your comments will be deleted by the dev! I wasted my money on this browser because there were almost only 5* ratings (few 4*). The I figured that everything else is deleted by the dev. himself! ShaoSoft is screwing the whole community and nobody does anything to prevent this fraud! I hope we can get this guy out of business somehow!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:16 AM
    Is the browser really that bad? Some reviewers are posting a lot of positive remarks that are the opposite of yours. I'm tempted to try it out... with that said I agree it is quite shady of the developer deleting out any criticism. When CB article first hit a number of members posted some negative remarks w the Evo Browser and now they are all gone leaving the app rating at 5 stars. Why would BBW. Allow the dev to remove comments?
    The dev. (or someone else, but unlikely) is deleting all critical reviews, believe me! See also: Evolution Browser gets updated to version 2.0 for the ultimate BlackBerry 10 browsing experience | CrackBerry.com
    Thats' the reason you only see 5* ratings....
    The only thing good about this browser is the ad-block feature, everything else is way worse then the built-in browser.
    If you want to waste your money, it's up to you, be warned again, this dev. is a crook!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 03:08 AM
    I don't know if this crook (ShaoSoft) is somehow associated with CB? It almost looks like! Guys like him are destroying this whole community! What good is an app-store where reviews can be deleted by a dev.?? b.t.w. he has even blocked me even from writing reviews! he probably does this for everyone writing critical comments...
    We need to create some ****storm here to destroy this guy!
    02-26-14 11:14 AM
239 ... 78910