Dear current and future Effetica users,

I've notices many of you discover certain features in Effetica by chance or after search on CrackBerry forums. I admit that this is my mistake (I should have included at least a short features overview in Effetica itself) and in order to partially correct it I've created this thread to answer all your questions regarding usage of Effetica.

Let's start with a short user guide

Requirements
    Effetica absolutely needs to have the Shared Files permission turned on in order to load and save images. Prior to Effetica v1.2.0 if permission was turned off you would see a blank screen instead of loaded image, currently Effetica displays a warning message with explanation of possible causes image was not loaded.

Basic navigation
    • to zoom the loaded image use double tap on image. Currently Effetica supports 3 display modes: Fit - the whole image visible on screen, Fill - image occupies the whole screen, Original - image displayed in its original size. Use drag operation to see all parts of the image. Future versions of Effetica will add pinch-to-zoom operation
    • to hide/show the settings toolbar in any Tool screen use single tap on the image or simply outside settings toolbar
    • all tools that support rotation of the object (straighten, text, blender) understand pinch-to-rotate operation (two fingers on screen that simulate tuning operation)
    • all tools that support size change of the object and do not have bounding area visible (text, blender) understand pinch-to-zoom operation
    • all settings of any tool that use slider to change the value support precise navigation. To increase/decrease the value by small amount (usually by 1, but some tools support value changes with step smaller than 1) tap on right/left label of the slider correspondingly.

Edited area
    Many tools support a so called Edited Area - selected area inside or outside which tool is applied. Current version of Effetica supports two shapes for edited area - rectangular and elliptical. Future version will add other shapes among which will be a linear gradient type. Edited area may be used to create various effects. For example - blur tool with elliptical edited area can be used to simulate lenses blur. Edited area also supports the changeable transition area in which original image seamlessly transition into edited version.

Tilt/Shift
    Latest versions of Effetica support free rotation of Tilt/Shift planes. One can use slider or pinch-to-rotate gesture to orient planes. To change the distance between planes use pinch-to-zoom gesture.

Text
    Starting from v1.3.3 Effetica supports background and border around text. By default background and border completely transparent, but this can be changed in Color tab using transparency slider (the last one).

I'll update the above information as new tools or features added to Effetica. Thank you for using Effetica and for your support!
    FF22, Cee134, madx80h and 6 others like this.
    01-25-14 03:01 PM
    Thanks so much for writing this up! Will help for sure!
    inmobisoft likes this.
    01-27-14 04:19 PM
    Ever since iGrann was released to BlackBerry World we've received quite a few emails asking us how to post to Instagram using Effetica (Demo). Here is the way:

- Open iGrann and login to your account if you didn't do it already
    - Load image to Effetica (Effetica Demo) using the method of your choice (from withing Effetica or using Share menu in Pictures app)
    - Edit the image. Remember, Instagram is a square addicted service, so you should crop or pad you image to make it acceptable. Padding image allows you to post originally non-square images (choose Square preset in Pad tool)
    - Once all editing finished use Share command and in appeared list of targets select iGrann.

Simple, huh? Happy Instagramming! And congratulations to all who uses Instagram with new full-featured client on BlackBerry 10
    bb10_fan, CMcRob and FF22 like this.
    01-29-14 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the instructions! Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    inmobisoft likes this.
    01-29-14 07:03 PM
    Is there a way to examine histogram data (graph) when adjusting levels? And are we able to set Effetica to open Pictures upon app launch (to save a touchscreen press)?

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1925 | STA100-3 10.2.1.1925
    01-30-14 12:22 AM
    Is there a way to examine histogram data (graph) when adjusting levels?
    Not at the moment, but it's definitely a great idea. Might be useful for professional photographers. Added to my to-do, I'll see what I can do.

And are we able to set Effetica to open Pictures upon app launch (to save a touchscreen press)?
    No, and the reason for this is quite simple - next major upgrade will bring few more choices to start screen (picframe/collage is one of them ) You can use Share option in Pictures or Camera apps to open image without extra taps in Effetica
    bb10_fan likes this.
    01-30-14 05:40 AM
    Thanks for the instructions! Much appreciated.
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks Will add more how-to posts especially related to edited area feature.

@all, anyone who has interesting use-cases for Edited Area feature, please, share here too. Thanks
    CMcRob likes this.
    01-30-14 05:43 AM
    Does Effetica support JPEG lossless transformations? Specifically lossless horizontal/vertical flip, lossless rotate, lossless transpose/transverse and lossless crop?

02-01-14 02:00 PM
    Does Effetica support JPEG lossless transformations? Specifically lossless horizontal/vertical flip, lossless rotate, lossless transpose/transverse and lossless crop?
    Unfortunately no, Effetica uses Qt lib to do transformations and I'm almost sure Qt doesn't use those advanced features.
    02-01-14 02:18 PM
    Edited area - use cases

As promised here are the few use-cases for Edited Area feature of Effetica. Let's take a nice photo of Barselona, Spain and perform few edits using various tools to achieve certain results

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-barcelona_city_2013.jpg

1. Let's start by adding description of the pictured place. Usually an image overlayed with a semi-transparent rectangle that is used as a background for descriptive text. In order to achieve a similar effect in Effetica one can use Brightness/Contrast tool with rectangular shape for Edited Area. Once background area defined reduce the brightness until desired darkening achieved, then use text tool to add description

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140201194304.jpg
    2. If one wants to drive attention to a certain part of the image he/she may slightly blur the other part of the image. The tool to achieve this usually called differently in photo editors - lens boost, attention, etc. In Effetica it's the Blur tool that in combination with elliptical edited area can deliver desired effect. Don't forget to swap edited/non-edited areas (right bottom button in Area tab) or you'll blur the area of your attention

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140201200147.jpg
    3. Effetica provides over 70 high quality filters, but at this moment they all uniformly applied to the image. Edited Area feature may help you to add variability to Filters tool. It's totally up-to your imagination how to combine several filters by selecting various parts of the image, but one widely used techniques is to filter outer part of the image with one filter and inner part with the other. In order to achieve this effect you can use elliptical edited area
      Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140201200331.jpg

By adding Surface tool you can achieve a present-through-past effect
      Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140201200419.jpg

If you have other interesting ideas how to use Edited Area feature in Effetica, please, share with us
    bb10_fan and CMcRob like this.
    02-01-14 02:38 PM
    Edited area - use cases
    ... perform few edits using various tools to achieve certain results
    fantastic sentence, by any chance do you have plans or already a politician?

Let's start by adding description of the pictured place. Usually an image overlayed with a semi-transparent rectangle that is used as a background for descriptive text. In order to achieve a similar effect in Effetica one can use Brightness/Contrast tool with rectangular shape for Edited Area. Once background area defined reduce the brightness until desired darkening achieved, then use text tool to add description
    Ah, I was using background option of Text tool, but that method doesn't allow me to create an image wide background. Thanks for tip!

By adding Surface tool you can achieve a present-through-past effect
    Oh, this a great idea, will use it for my pics! Thanks.

Please keep posting ideas how to use tools of Effetica, it's so powerful editor that even after 5 months of using it I'm still discovering new usages
    inmobisoft likes this.
    02-01-14 02:53 PM
    Pad tool - use cases

Pad tool originally was added for Instagram users. This tool helps to post originally non-square image without cropping them first.

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140204105832.jpg

But Pad tool may become handy in other situations:
    1. One can decide to add small border on one side of the image. This border can be used to add textual description, notes, or any other additional information without overlaying it on top of the original image (thus occluding part of it)

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140204110744.jpg
    2. The other possible use for Pad tool is to add enough space to original image such that other images maybe added, just like in collage.

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-20140204111553.jpg
    CMcRob, magsasaka and bb10_fan like this.
    02-04-14 05:17 AM
    Any plans to add collage creation into Effetica?

02-04-14 09:38 PM
    Any plans to add collage creation into Effetica?

Absolutely! It will be added alongside with few more tools in next major update (v2.0). It may take a couple of months though, because requires more dramatic changes in app architecture than adding usual features.
    bb10_fan and CMcRob like this.
    02-05-14 03:53 PM
    Blender - tool that can be used for business

Blender tool, added in latest versions of Effetica, may be used not only for simple image overlays but also for business adding company/other logos to the image. Before you start, prepare your logo (I'm sure you already have one). Load the image you need to add logo to in Effetica. Go to Blender tool and press "image" button, select your logo and place it in the image. Optionally, select blending mode to get more interesting result.

To get the best results logo has to be saved in PNG or TIFF formats that support transparency. Also, to use alignment option without subsequent manual re-alignment add few extra transparent pixels on each side of the logo.

Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-img_20140218_225150.jpg Effetica photo editor - official user guide/help thread-img_20140218_225302.jpg
    bb10_fan likes this.
    02-18-14 05:22 PM
    Blender - tool that can be used for business
    To get the best results logo has to be saved in PNG or TIFF formats that support transparency.
    Do you think you can add to Pad tool the ability adding transparent pixels? Now one can add only opaque pixels and for logos transparent would be more appropriate Thanks in advance

P.S. I've seen screenshots of upcoming update on BBM channel, looks great, hope it will be released soon!
    inmobisoft likes this.
    02-18-14 05:36 PM
    Do you think you can add to Pad tool the ability adding transparent pixels? Now one can add only opaque pixels and for logos transparent would be more appropriate Thanks in advance
    Done! Am I quick? Actually I realized this myself while was preparing the post, it didn't take long - couple of minutes
    bb10_fan likes this.
    02-18-14 05:54 PM
    Done! Am I quick? Actually I realized this myself while was preparing the post, it didn't take long - couple of minutes
    Hahaha, you are blazingly fast! Thanks for realizing the need for transparency in Pad tool
    02-18-14 05:57 PM
    Thanks for your sharing with this advanced image editor. It can be used to process target image based on own needs at fast speed.
    02-20-14 02:40 AM