I am sad to say that I finally must call FastTube out, an app I originally loved more than sliced bread, as it has taken a turn for the worse.

The last 2-3 updates have promised a fix for the intermittent, random playback errors seen when attempting to play a video. Unfortunately, none of the aforementioned updates have fixed it for me. In fact, it is happening more than ever now.

Some will jump to the developer's defense and blame it on Google's dynamic backend. Yes, it does change, but not every day...or hour for that matter! The bottom line is, something is not working correctly in this app like it used to, and it needs to be fixed ASAP, especially since some have paid for this app and expect full up-time as a replacement for the non-existant YouTube app on BlackBerry 10.

So, to wrap-up, are you still having random playback error messages?

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-30-13 01:30 AM
    For youtube always use the browser, works great and how do you beat free. Sorry I have never tried third party apps for youtube.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 01:51 AM
    For youtube always use the browser, works great and how do you beat free. Sorry I have never tried third party apps for youtube.

Posted via CB10
    FastTube has a fully functional free version and is more convenient and user-friendly than the browser by far.

They just need to resolve this recurring issue.

09-30-13 01:53 AM
    FastTube has a fully functional free version and is more convenient and user-friendly than the browser by far.

They just need to resolve this recurring issue.

So they have a fully functional free app, and then also charge for it? So if you pay what do you get beyond full functionality?
    09-30-13 01:56 AM
    I'm not sure if I can call no login option a fully functional experience! but atleast you can search and chose the quality of the playback.
    09-30-13 02:07 AM
    Hi,

I am a member of FastTube team. We are very sorry that you have to face these problems. But these are really out of our control. Let me tell you something about youtube backend.

1. There is no official api to obtain youtube videos.
    2. Most of the channels are unencrypted and always works.
    3. Some popular channels have encrypted signatures like vevo, smtown, psy etc. So can't play them without reverse engineering.
    4. We have to reverse engineer signatures very often because youtube sometimes changed them twice a day. So It takes some time reverse all those (in some cases upto twelve hours).

So we have only 2 choices. Either do not include problematic channels like vevo in the app or lets keep these channels and fix the problem when it arises. We choose the second option.

FastTube is always on our priority list and we daily check for any broken links. However, If you encounter an -10 error in some channel please let us know the channel name as soon as possible.

Thanks for loving FastTube
    Lendo likes this.
    10-01-13 12:06 AM
    Just get StereoTube! All your problems will be solved. Read the reviews

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 12:12 AM
    I am sad to say that I finally must call FastTube out, an app I originally loved more than sliced bread, as it has taken a turn for the worse.

The last 2-3 updates have promised a fix for the intermittent, random playback errors seen when attempting to play a video. Unfortunately, none of the aforementioned updates have fixed it for me. In fact, it is happening more than ever now.

Some will jump to the developer's defense and blame it on Google's dynamic backend. Yes, it does change, but not every day...or hour for that matter! The bottom line is, something is not working correctly in this app like it used to, and it needs to be fixed ASAP, especially since some have paid for this app and expect full up-time as a replacement for the non-existant YouTube app on BlackBerry 10.

So, to wrap-up, are you still having random playback error messages?

Get Stereo Tube! Well worth it

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 12:13 AM
    @OP : I think ALL clients are having such problems. Even my Stereotube refuses to play Videos today nor this -_-. I blame Google.
    10-01-13 12:48 AM
    To the developer:

I was not expecting a personal response to this addressing my concerns. I do really appreciate that. Also, thank you for the detailed explanation and I am sorry I misunderstood part of the problem.

The issue is, I am getting these errors on videos from channels that are not "special" in anyway. I have been watching a lot of BigMacDavis1 videos, so you can kindly look up that channel.

It seems as though with YouTube, all apps will have occasional issues with certain channels and/or videos unless the app came from Google themselves, eh?

In fact, even the Website mobile interface had an issue on legacy BlackBerrys temporarily not too long ago.

So in short, the app is still 4/5 stars for me. And honestly most of the point loss there was for awkward rotation support in which app is in actuality forced vertical but then conditional rotates when videos are playing. Would be better to just cut out the conditional rotation code and make the entire app universally rotation-supported, IMHO.

I would also like to see these errors fixed for channels that don't have any sort of special status or encryption.

10-01-13 01:00 AM
    I've been watching videos on stereo tube for most of the night. I've noticed that they stopped a few newer released movies like Iron Man 3 and Prisoner. Basic older movies, no problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 03:35 AM
    I Love this app and use it frequently. Minor glitches but no major problem so far. My gratitude to the developer team.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 03:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ditto.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 05:29 AM