Why not leave it open?
    12-17-18 02:31 PM
    Why not leave it open?
    Can you put up a website under your own rules with an infinite amount of storage for nothing?
    12-17-18 02:37 PM
    Even if it cost zero to keep it open, which it certainly does not, there is zero opportunity for gain with an unknown risk of loss if it were hacked or distributed malicious software.

The better question is why should they continue to maintain it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-17-18 02:47 PM
    Why not leave it open?
    If all of the servers were in place in 2013, they are probably due for replacement by 2020. BlackBerry won't spend another dime.

You also have a small support staff, a building to house them in, and the bandwidth to pay for.
    12-17-18 03:01 PM
    If all of the servers were in place in 2013, they are probably due for replacement by 2020. BlackBerry won't spend another dime.

You also have a small support staff, a building to house them in, and the bandwidth to pay for.
    Not to mention having to monitor them in the security operations center (SOC). Can you imagine the damage to BlackBerry's reputation if their app store was found to be insecure?

Minimizing the attack surface is reason enough to shut down a non-strategic service, even if it's marginally profitable.

BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-17-18 04:56 PM
    There’s no such thing as a free lunch!
    12-17-18 05:10 PM
    12-17-18 08:44 PM
    Some of the paid apps from BBW are now on Amazon App store.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 11:48 PM
    Some of the paid apps from BBW are now on Amazon App store.

Posted via CB10
    Android apps are on the amazon store, they were probably in BBW as android ports before
    12-18-18 05:02 AM
    But I want outdated apps that won't be updated or comply with current standards!
    12-18-18 09:41 AM
    Why not leave it open?
    Perhaps a gofundme page would raise enough money to pay for BB to maintain servers. Perhaps a concerted serious effort from the likes of yourself, TrumpetTiger, markmall and some others here could really convince BB to do it for enough profit margin like the licensing of BBAndroid for hardware.

If you were to get $100/per user/per year and 20K users prepaid in advance by July 1 of next year.....
    12-19-18 07:48 AM
    Perhaps a gofundme page would raise enough money to pay for BB to maintain servers. Perhaps a concerted serious effort from the likes of yourself, TrumpetTiger, markmall and some others here could really convince BB to do it for enough profit margin like the licensing of BBAndroid for hardware.

If you were to get $100/per user/per year and 20K users prepaid in advance by July 1 of next year.....
    does it cost BlackBerry anything for BlackBerry World?-untitled.jpg
    12-19-18 09:05 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	441908
    That was the idea ;-)
    12-19-18 11:55 AM
    Why not leave it open?
    RLee, the torrent of criticism here aside, there are some costs for server maintenance, domain registration, etc. that relate to Blackberry World. Blackberry Limited could well leave it open, but since they've announced that they're closing it down the best way to ask these sorts of questions is unfortunately to either ask them of Blackberry Limited directly or note in your original post something to the effect of "Note: I understand many people don't believe this is possible or relevant, but I'd like to hear from those willing to legitimately discuss it."

You'll still get responses like on those on this thread, but you're more likely to get fewer of them.
    12-19-18 07:25 PM

If we start one, can we stop getting comments like this one? I'd pay for that....
    12-19-18 07:27 PM

Hey, that sounds like a great idea! You really should write it up and email it to the BlackBerry Chairman and CEO, copying the members of the Board of Directors. If it meets their investment criteria, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

conite likes this.
    12-19-18 09:03 PM
    If we start one, can we stop getting comments like this one? I'd pay for that....
    As responding to Bla1ze, that was the intent of my comment. It started tongue in cheek, but it’s actually serious at the end. It’s a very realistic number to present if you guys went to all the effort to keep access to BB10 apps. The figure of $2 million to keep servers plugged in just for the free App Store. I would think less effort for diehards and greater chance of any real success. Do I think it could succeed? No. But I thought it was reasonable suggestion compared to everything thrown around with probability-wise.
    12-19-18 09:18 PM

Maintaining a location to download from could be done for free, but certification maybe not. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-18 06:29 AM
    Hey, that sounds like a great idea! You really should write it up and email it to the BlackBerry Chairman and CEO, copying the members of the Board of Directors. If it meets their investment criteria, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

;-)
    12-20-18 12:39 PM
    ;-)
    Haha. Everybody make fun of the non-IT guy using his own words against him. LOL
    First, I stole that quote from somebody here. Maybe, carjackd, RIP, I don't remember.

Keep in mind, I'm not the BB10 supporter. I merely figured if the system was up and running for almost nothing, with a company that was losing money until more recently, $2 million could be enough to not unplug BBW server but just let it run until it broke down. One more year, one more day, I don't care.

I simply came up number-wise based on what BB makes on each device x probable sales and figured $20 million less expenses at best. Ten percent of that is $2 million for doing practically nothing.

I can now sleep at night, knowing someone else will forward my idea to BOD and get the credit. When the BB10 ecosystem of BBW crashes down, I'm allowed to LOL guilt free...

Posted from my AT&T Carrier Locked KEYone running Oreo 8.1 missing both WFC and VoLTE and my CB friends laughing at me.

Yes, I'm looking at everybody in this virtual room..... LOL Merry Christmas everyone....
    john_v and elfabio80 like this.
    12-20-18 03:19 PM
    First, I stole that quote from somebody here. Maybe, carjackd, RIP, I don't remember.

Keep in mind, I'm not the BB10 supporter. I merely figured if the system was up and running for almost nothing, with a company that was losing money until more recently, $2 million could be enough to not unplug BBW server but just let it run until it broke down. One more year, one more day, I don't care.

I simply came up number-wise based on what BB makes on each device x probable sales and figured $20 million less expenses at best. Ten percent of that is $2 million for doing practically nothing.

I can now sleep at night, knowing someone else will forward my idea to BOD and get the credit. When the BB10 ecosystem of BBW crashes down, I'm allowed to LOL guilt free...

Posted from my AT&T Carrier Locked KEYone running Oreo 8.1 missing both WFC and VoLTE and my CB friends laughing at me.

Yes, I'm looking at everybody in this virtual room..... LOL Merry Christmas everyone....
    Funny enough, crowdfunding something with BB10 is the most realistic option; not only does BlackBerry not have to bend over backwards like in every other "this is what they should do" post, seeing the final pot being less than the cost of a large pizza will hopefully drive the point across.
    12-20-18 03:52 PM

The quote about proposing a business investment to Chen and the board was mine, and I encouraged people to use it freely as an alternative to less civil responses to business ideas built on questionable assumptions. I enjoy seeing it come up now and again.

12-20-18 04:17 PM
    The quote about proposing a business investment to Chen and the board was mine, and I encouraged people to use it freely as an alternative to less civil responses to business ideas built on questionable assumptions. I enjoy seeing it come up now and again.

As long as you know I was looking to give credit. I've actually saved it on all my current devices to copy and paste as necessary.
    12-20-18 05:16 PM
    $2 million could be enough to not unplug BBW server but just let it run until it broke down.
    I reckon there are better ways to spend $2m on keeping BB10 going in some form.

For example - build a software which can backup and restore all apps (including 3rd party native apps) without the need for a BBID.

This way, doesn't matter about BBWorld going down (as long as one gets all the apps one needs before 2020).
    12-20-18 06:46 PM
    I reckon there are better ways to spend $2m on keeping BB10 going in some form.

For example - build a software which can backup and restore all apps (including 3rd party native apps) without the need for a BBID.

This way, doesn't matter about BBWorld going down (as long as one gets all the apps one needs before 2020).
    As you’ve read my post, it doesn’t matter to me as I stated earlier, I’m not a BB10 supporter. The reason I proposed the solution as I did was it doesn’t rely on getting developers to support a new app repository. It also strikes me as easier sell to prospective fundraisers and supporters since it would still be the actual BB entity.

If you all raise $2 million, spend however you all wish. Good luck!!!
    12-20-18 07:04 PM
77 123 ...